ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2016, 06:06 PM
MarkJ

Jupiter with GRS from Melbourne 6th Feb 16

Hi all,
I imaged Jupiter yesterday morning in the best seeing I have seen for a long while, it wasn’t perfect but it was very good however the green data was still behind the red in terms of detail with the blue a long way further behind.

See attached image taken on UT 5th Feb 2016 at 17:15. Red, green and blue data each collected for 50 seconds at 30 FPS. I stacked 600 from 1500 frames for all colours.

After stacking the data it seemed a shame to accept the imperfect stacking of the three colours due to the planets rotation so I finally bit the bullet and used WinJupos to derotate them. I had never used it before and found the tutorial by Milika and Nicholas very useful although I still found the process a little imperfect but I suspect that was due to my lack of experience.

My habit is often to apply too much sharpening but having considered Phil’s discussion I tried to restrain myself with conservative "feather duster" sharpening. I am happy with it although I'm still fighting the urge to process it further...

Best regards,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2016-02-05-1715_8-Mark-Justice-RGB-5.jpg)
160.0 KB171 views
Old 07-02-2016, 08:09 PM
John K

Hi Mark,

That's a good image - a bit noisy on my screen but lots of detail.

You will find that WinJupos is actually really easy to use once you have used it a few times. Just add the mid point time to your image, align the frame, save as IMS file, de-rotate RGB and presto! You'll never go back.

I did image on Sat morning ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnka...blic/lightbox/) but my image did not work as well as I would have liked as the seeing was still somewhat variable in Brunswick, but better than normal.

Clear skies and look fwd to seeing your images.

John K.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Maurice

That's very nice Mark.
Glad you've started looking into using WinJupos..
As John said...you'll never look back.
cheers
Maurice
Old 08-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Nice result Mark, WinJUPOS really has been a game changer. If you get a night of extended good seeing it will allow for multiple data sets for each channel, so a lot more frames go into your final image.

Cheers
Trevor
Old 09-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Solar (Ralph Smith)

Nice result Mark. Excellent really.
All most finished the Fire season and looking forward to doing some more imaging soon..