Old 25-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Wez (Wesley Lamont)

Mobile Phone Imaging

Heya All,

I've currently got a plan for using a new iPhone for imaging and was wondering if there were any recommendations for using a phone for imaging.
I'm presuming shooting through a lens would be the most logical and pairing up the field of view of the lens with the pupil of the lens.

I have very little idea about filters so that is another thing I need to get up to speed on as well. Is there any single filter people would recommend for a start? The phone cameras can't do high bit depth so I'm not thinking I can't filter things out in post in this system.
Old 25-11-2020, 09:28 PM
sunslayr (David)

You have the right idea, you can do projection photography with an iPhone and a suitable clamp. In terms of filters you could use something like a cls filter or the optolong l extreme but I would try without first. I would also think about trying a piggyback setup if you have a tracking mount, the night mode on new iPhones can take some pretty stunning widefield shots.
Old 25-11-2020, 10:23 PM
glend (Glen)

There is a nice XYZ axis phone holder that Bintel sell, I have one, works well.
Old 27-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

This is an interesting little gadget that people are apparently able to use with their mobile. No experience in it myself, and I can't help but wonder if the claims are what they say they are.

https://thegadgetoffice.com/starscope-monocular-review/

Last edited by Crater101; 27-11-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Correct my pre-school spelling...
Old 28-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Wez (Wesley Lamont)

Thanks all,

I have a Meade Phone Mount currently that doesn't feel super solid but should work. I will try without filters and see how I go and what I can get. Currently the scope is tracked or EQed but I hope in the future I may be able to achieve that.

I shall try without filters and then can probably post up here and ask for recommendations on what would be best going forward.

That Gadget Warren looks to replace a telescope which I already have so its interesting but I should be ok without it.
Old 30-11-2020, 05:02 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Hi Wez;

I think you've summed it up - Gadget. I'm not dismissing it, but I don't think anything like that is ever going to replace a good telescope and mount.

Let us know how you get on.