Old 16-08-2014, 06:21 PM
batema (Mark)

STXl11002 with my TEC 140

Hi,

I am looking at buying a STXL-11002 w/ Self-Guiding Filter Wheel Pro Package to go with my TEC 140. I have asked the scope to come with the feather touch 3534 focuser. I will have the TEC field flattener as well so my question is about will this combination work. I believe that the distance from the flattener to the chip has to be 85mm and the STXL and the FWG filter wheel takes up 61.84mm from the front of the filter wheel to the CCD focal plane. Does this mean all I have to do (sound simple but I can image it not being) is get an connector/adapter from the flattener to the filter wheel that is 23.16mm? Also if that is correct should that mean if the distance from flattener to chip is 85mm should I be able to just wind my focuser out and achieve beautiful tight stars without anything else. We had a scope (basic one) and when we tried to get focus we ended up winding the focuser all the way out and still could not focus. I would hate for this to happen when I have bought the stuff. I am wondering if anyone has this combination and a diagram/schematic that I could look at. The focuser has a travel of about 11cm. I am excites as I found out on Friday my Astrophysics 1100gto left Sydney for me.

Thank you

Mark
Old 16-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I foresee beautiful images with pinpoint sharp stars in your future.

H
Old 16-08-2014, 06:27 PM
batema (Mark)

Thank H. I forgot to add this question about the self guiding chip in front of the filters as I see this as a way to get rid of my guide scope and wonder if any one can tell me how effective this is. I wonder if it would be easy to get a guide star. I have had a tried and proven W/O FLT110 and a W/O 70mm as a guide scope so am really jumping in about half way between the deep and shallow end of the pool.

Mark
Old 16-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I would worry if you plan to do NB -- if that is the case, I think an OAG is the way to go.
Old 16-08-2014, 07:32 PM
batema (Mark)

The self guiding chip in this camera has been redesigned so it is now between the telescope and the filters so I believe that no matter which filter you are using the brightness of the guide star should not change. I know that was a problem in the past.
Old 17-08-2014, 03:27 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Mark,

I'm out of Australia at the moment so I don't have the TEC flattener manual. I think you can download it from Yuri's site. You will need to get parts from AstroPhysics to make the flattener work. The explanation in the manual and at AP can be a little vague. But, basically you remove the end cap of the FT focuser (the 2" clamp thingy) and the flattener screws directly onto the FT focuser. Then you need to get the part from AP the fits the bayonette on the camera end of the flattener. To that you need a tube of the proper length to give you the 85mm total distance to the chip. That is the bayonette fitting plus the extension tube length is added to the back focus distance of the CCD to the end of whatever camera fittings you have. Now there is a complication because you should also probably calculate how the BF length is changed by the filter thicknesses or any other lens in that path. I cannot give you the formula from memory but it confuses most everyone!! In any case it might mean that the actual distance you should shoot for is 87 mm or so. I'm just guessing here so that is not anything else other than a guess. I think I remember Yuri saying that anywhere between 84-86 mm is close enough. And, yes, you can just focus with that arrangement and be done. And you should have a very flat field and great stars

Speaking of which, what motorized focuser are you getting for the FT? My microtouch system has worked very very well. If you want to manually focus as well you might look at the Optec solution. Both are quite good for sure.

Peter

PS I saw your posting on the TEC user group as well. I have to say that I concur with a couple of the posts about your camerta choice. Personally I think you might regret going with a lower resolution. I've imaged from Sydney (KAF8300 ccd) with a 2x barlow in the system (around .6 arc-sec) to good effect. If you look at my pbase pages the photos of M83 and M16 were both done this way. So, if what you want is wide field/nebula shots, no close ups of galaxies, then sure your solution is OK.

Last edited by PRejto; 17-08-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 18-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Thank H. I forgot to add this question about the self guiding chip in front of the filters as I see this as a way to get rid of my guide scope and wonder if any one can tell me how effective this is. I wonder if it would be easy to get a guide star. I have had a tried and proven W/O FLT110 and a W/O 70mm as a guide scope so am really jumping in about half way between the deep and shallow end of the pool.

Mark
The guide camera works really well. I am using it at f8 and get guide stars all the time. It is the same sensor as in the ST-i. Very sensitive. Don't be afraid to use lomg guide exposures once you have the mount setup nicely. I pretty much guide between 5 and 10 seconds.
Old 18-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

That's great to hear about the redesigned guiding chip - very sensible, and to me (as a future purchaser ) it makes it a real competitor with the QSIs.
Old 19-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
That's great to hear about the redesigned guiding chip - very sensible, and to me (as a future purchaser ) it makes it a real competitor with the QSIs.
The QSI 700 series should be in production in the next 6 months or so from what I hear. There has been a hold up in the filter wheel and OAG and so QSI wanted to get this perfect before any release. Given how dependable their 583 and 683 range has been I would be inclined to look at their gear again for a 700 series camera. I currently have a 600 series camera with 8 position filter wheel and it has been bullet proof in operation. The 583 I had was also reliable too.

That said the SBIG STXL series with integrated filter wheel is also pretty good. The only problem I have found is the HDMI cable SBIG supply seems to be faulty.
Old 19-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Thanks Paul for that update on the QSI 700s - that fits my timeframe perfectly!
Old 19-08-2014, 08:09 PM
batema (Mark)

Decisions, decisions, decisions and I am not good at making them. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I need to think some more.
Old 26-08-2014, 06:51 AM
gregbradley

STXL11002 on a TEC140 would work very nicely. I would not recommend a guide scope and use the self guiding filter wheel or use an OAG.
I use the SBIG STi guide camera and have no trouble getting guide stars.

I use a TEC180 and 110. The flatteners work very well with pinpoint stars to the corners.

The STXL has the advantage of an AO unit available and there was a thread about AO unit advantages elsewhere on this site. Even though the TEC140 is around 1000mm focal length I would consider an AO unit as well if you are going that route.

I would also get the Feathertouch focuser as you mention it is very good.

I get pinpoint stars to the corners of my TEC180 easily with a 16803 camera so 11002 which not as high will too.

I think it would be a good match.

Greg.