Old 22-10-2020, 08:01 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Jupiter & ISS

I took this image from Nimbin in NSW on the weekend.
It shows the ISS almost transiting Jupiter, along with the 4 Galilean moons (Callisto is the black dot on the face of Jupiter)

With Calsky sadly no longer in operation I relied on Ed Morana's ISS Transit Prediction app for Android to find the ideal shooting location.

I used my Saxon 952mm triplet refractor, Televue Powermate 2x and ASI294MC-Pro camera.

(Please note I've replaced the original slightly fuzzy Jupiter with a stacked / sharpened version from the same video)

Kelvin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter-ISS-4 moons.jpg)
51.6 KB344 views
Old 22-10-2020, 08:54 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Nice catch!
Old 23-10-2020, 04:32 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Nice catch!
Thanks Marc
Old 23-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Wow! That is an extremely rare event, well captured by you there. It's a pity the focus wasn't a bit tighter, that really would have elevated the final image. I hope you didn't have to travel too far to catch this.

I don't know if you were aware of Tom Glenn's recent capture of the ISS transiting Mars, he turned it into a little video which you can see here. Maybe you could do something similar?
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...ember-14-2020/

Well done again
Old 23-10-2020, 10:31 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Wow! That is an extremely rare event, well captured by you there. It's a pity the focus wasn't a bit tighter, that really would have elevated the final image. I hope you didn't have to travel too far to catch this.

I don't know if you were aware of Tom Glenn's recent capture of the ISS transiting Mars, he turned it into a little video which you can see here. Maybe you could do something similar?
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...ember-14-2020/

Well done again
Thanks Andrew. I've had both a Jupiter-ISS and Mars-ISS capture previously though nowhere near as good quality as this one. And yes they are very rare opportunities !

I saw Tom Glenn's APOD winning capture - that's what inspired me to have a go again at this one. Only 1.25 hours drive for me. Focus was okay but I have to have a relatively long exposure at 3ms to get enough exposure so the ISS blurred (I could have upped the gain instead but it was already pretty high). Tom's was 0.3ms from memory !! Had I taken my 10"F4 Newt I could have dropped the exposure right down but it takes too long to setup, re-collimate (the road to Nimbin is VERY bumpy).

I have been meaning to do a video - but I only got 8 frames as I oriented the camera 90 degrees wrongly (I'm so used to using my old 183MC Pro which had the sensor at portrait orientation.)
Old 22-12-2020, 01:38 AM
TommyJ (Tom)

Good job!

Such works give me some inadequate thoughts. It seems to me that some people who are not familiar with the distances from such photos may think that the ISS is close to Jupiter. And why not send research missions from there.
In general, it is cool that we now have such opportunities that it is possible without special education to predict when objects in the sky will intersect at completely different distances from the planet.
Good job! Thank you!
Old 22-12-2020, 06:36 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Totally Cool.
Old 23-12-2020, 12:37 PM
roddz (Rodd)

Great capture!
Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 AM
A1 (Jason)

Amazing, well done.