ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 01:48 PM
glend (Glen)

ALDI 3D Printer for $499

Just received the latest ALDI Special Buys flyer, and noticed they are offering 3D Printers for $499 on the 13th of May. All the PLA strand colours are offered as well on 1kg spools ($35).

The printer seems constrainted by base plate size (200×200mm), but the base is heated to ensure flat base layer. As i don't know much about them i can't comment further. Maybe orhers can.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 PM
garymck (Gary)

Glen,

it is a rebranded version of the Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus.

Review here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEApsA7pAk

I have the older cheaper model Wanahao I3 that Aldi rebranded as a Cocoon Create, and Kogan rebranded as a Balco. Review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd5EvrnQC5Q

Have had a lot of fun, and printed some fun telescope stuff. Good value for money.

Would happily buy this printer.

cheers
Gary
Old 04-05-2017, 03:47 PM
bojan
amateur

Yes, $500 is pretty good price: I build 3D printer myself (~175mm cube) and spend ~$250 for parts & materials... and lot of time - but I don't regret it, it was a great fun (still is..).
200mm is OK.. if you need anything larger, you can always print it in couple of bits.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:00 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Very good price!

No need to think about this purchase at all.

I already have 2 3D Printers so don't need this one.

For those who are curious and are starting out it's worth it!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:00 PM
netwolf

Seriously considering it but last timr these came out they were sold out same day. Is there something better with an enclosure for ABS work? Also with enclosure woud be safer from kids messing with it or getting burned by the hot plate
Old 05-05-2017, 06:03 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Seriously considering it but last timr these came out they were sold out same day. Is there something better with an enclosure for ABS work? Also with enclosure woud be safer from kids messing with it or getting burned by the hot plate
Maybe not enclosed for ABS at the price point. My Up Mini cost $900 which is a fully enclosed system and after about $200 worth of upgrades it's a great little printer.

I also have a CTC printer which you can pickup on eBay for around $500 which is fantastic value. Again you will need to pump a few hundred bucks into it for an enclosure and some upgrades.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 PM
netwolf

Thx Stefan was also looking at the Creality Cr-10 which for 500usd gives quiet a large print area. Again enclosure would be a challenge. In your experience can you still print ABS without an enclosure? Will look at the CTC.

Maybe a diy would work out cheaper fot enclosed unit. Are there other filiment types that are as durable as ABS without the need for enclosed space? I am thinking for teledcope parts you dont want them to brittle or to melt with exposure to sun.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:16 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Thx Stefan was also looking at the Creality Cr-10 which for 500usd gives quiet a large print area. Again enclosure would be a challenge. In your experience can you still print ABS without an enclosure? Will look at the CTC.

Maybe a diy would work out cheaper fot enclosed unit. Are there other filiment types that are as durable as ABS without the need for enclosed space? I am thinking for teledcope parts you dont want them to brittle or to melt with exposure to sun.
You defs need an enclosure if you want to have successful prints with ABS and a very hot heat bed. I personally haven't tried ABS with an open printer as it's never recommended.

I have some TPU which is meant to be flexible but strong as well which I need to experiment with but I mainly print with ABS due to having issues with PLA jamming my nozzle (with the Up Mini).

I am conducting a test print now with some PLA with the CTC which isn't enclosed and so far it looks ok.

If you do end up buying an open source printer I highly recommend purchasing Simplify3D. The best slicing software you can buy and you can change so many settings of the printer and prints. A bit pricey at $200 but it is so worth it!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 PM
bojan
amateur

ABS and open printer are quite OK.
Bed has to be set at 100°C, nozzle at 220°C, and if part is small, fan cooling is necessary.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:20 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Are there other filiment types that are as durable as ABS without the need for enclosed space? I am thinking for teledcope parts you dont want them to brittle or to melt with exposure to sun.
ABS is actually not UV proof and will degrade in direct sunlight. Special additives can give it UV protection but, as far as I know, the standard printer filaments do not have them.
You may be able to coat the parts with something that is UV proof, not sure.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:40 AM
netwolf

Any recommendations on easy to do DIY enclosure kits or else cheap prebuilt enclosed units. Is simplify3d a CAD also or just for slicing? I wish I still worked for Autodesk Fusion looks like a good CAD option for 3D printing.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:23 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Simplify3D is just for slicing. Not sure about your other questions.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:37 PM
glend (Glen)

What sort of astro gear is suitable for 3D printing? I could see maybe guide scope or finder lens or EP caps, but what else is it suitable for?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Any recommendations on easy to do DIY enclosure kits or else cheap prebuilt enclosed units. Is simplify3d a CAD also or just for slicing? I wish I still worked for Autodesk Fusion looks like a good CAD option for 3D printing.
I use Fusion. Free and powerful enough for what I need to create.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
AussieBill (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
What sort of astro gear is suitable for 3D printing? I could see maybe guide scope or finder lens or EP caps, but what else is it suitable for?
I havent got a clue about 3d printers or telescopes but I was wondering if 3d printing any of the following might be possible ?

Could you print the parts to make a simple red dot finder ? Or even more primitive "gunsights"

The one I just bought is simply a plastic skeleton with a cavity to sit the laser in and it gets pushed around by two screws

Although on the other hand it only cost $10 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Red-Dot-F...-/282263237841

Racks and Gears for a focussing system ?

Can you 3d print a matching wormscrew and gear ? Or somehow use a rack and gear to make a telescope follow a star ?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Jooster

I made a camera mount for my GoPro that sits in my focuser. Works a treat.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBill View Post
Racks and Gears for a focussing system ?

Can you 3d print a matching wormscrew and gear ? Or somehow use a rack and gear to make a telescope follow a star ?
Yes but I'm not sure you'd get the accuracy you're after. Have a look on Thingiverse, there's heaps of gears and worms etc.
I test printed a couple of gears from Thingiverse and a couple I generated myself using geargenerator.com - they seemed to be good enough to make a barndoor tracker, which is what I was planning but never got any further than testing.

Also, I'm not sure why a PLA printer needs a heated floor? I thought that was just for ABS?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

There are guys in Europe working with 3D printers to build spectrograph housings!
Could be an interesting solution.....
Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
ABS is actually not UV proof and will degrade in direct sunlight. Special additives can give it UV protection but, as far as I know, the standard printer filaments do not have them.
You may be able to coat the parts with something that is UV proof, not sure.
You can always spry it with paint....
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Anything that doesn't require precision below 0.2mm.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ht=life+easier