ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Question Zwo 1600mm pro V Zwo 071mc

Hi Guys, a few weeks prior to Xmas, I purchased a 1600mm with mini wheel package, A Christmas Present for myself.
I am not sure if i purchased the right camera for me, The Zwo 071mc, is more user friendly than the 1600mm pro, For me any way,
when i purchased it, I wasn't aware, of how it all worked with the RGB filters and such, I think my idea at the time was to buy a cam. that was able to provide better images, than one shot color cams.

If you were to compare the two, what would be more suited to some one like me , who has a limited knowledge of working with programs, I guess what i am asking is, the 1600mm pro, a better choice than the 071mc, as far as image quality and processing goes, or will i need to sell the 1600mm pro and buy a OSC 071mc?

Last edited by Loupy31; 21-01-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 22-01-2019, 08:36 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Given that none else has jumped in ...

Either way you'll have to get the hang of 'programs'. Even though I've got an 071 (and love it) and should vote for that, maybe you are better persevering with what you have. Get a set of lrgb filters. I think someone is currently selling a set.

But then again my OSC is easy to use. And I'm just wondering about the advice you got when you bought it.
Old 23-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It can depend on sky conditions and what you want to achieve. I live under very bright skies 18km from Melbourne CBD so using a OSC is not as good as a mono camera and narrowband filters.

On the other hand, under dark skies if you’re wanting to do RGB moreso than narrowband, then OSC can be easier as you’re always capturing all colour. Although you can capture data “easier”, depending on your image scale you will lose some resolution using OSC over mono.

As for processing and using software, there isn’t that much different. From a capturing stand point it involves connection one more device (filterwheel) which is usually no more than a push of a button.
Old 23-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

My choice in going for the ASI1600MM-Pro (over a one shot colour camera) was based on my location, the objects I like imaging and time available to image. I like taking pictures of nebula and being able to do this in narrowband (even just with an Ha filter) made the light pollution and the moon almost a non issue. As soon as the sky is clear (and the moon is not quite full and a little out of the way) I can get some nice 300s narrowband shots. Ha can be used to enhance an RGB image as well if you prefer more natural colours. RGB from my location seems to work best (i.e. less noise and gradients) when the moon is set and I take lots of short exposures, which I assume would be the same with the 071. When I do travel to dark skies I do wish I had something like the 071 but this is so rare for me. In regard to processing there are lots of guides to follow online. I always thought StarTools was very user friendly. ... oh and what Colin said :-)
Old 23-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Thanks Guys for replying,

Because the Camera is still brand new, and i havent used it, I may give some thought to weather or not I keep it, sell it, or even swap it for an asi 071,

I am just thinking as time goes past, if i would be more comfy with a OSC than RGB filters .

Anyway thanks again guys

Peter
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM
gb44 (Glenn)

Given that resolution is so important I wonder if dithering a OSC is likely to improve the resulting resolution. It has part of the movement property of Drizzle - maybe it would work to enhance resolution?

In that way the benefits of mono over OSC may be reduced?

Or am I dreaming!

There is an excellent discussion here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-460-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers
GlennB

Last edited by gb44; 02-02-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add url
Old 02-02-2019, 05:29 PM
simon_rl (Simon)

Peter, I agree with Colin and Ben. I have both the 071 (pro) and the 1600MM Pro. The difference in use is only capturing the extra RGB and narrow band in my case subs. Luminance frames get you the details and the RGB is purely color and you can Bin these to speed up the process. I use SGP and to be honest it simplifies the process of capturing LRGB and makes it nearly as easy as using an OSC. My filters are Optolong with ZWO 7 position filter wheel.

Also I find the 071 is better on my refractor for wider field, where as the 1600MM Pro is a better match for my 8" RC.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM
simon_rl (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb44 View Post
Given that resolution is so important I wonder if dithering a OSC is likely to improve the resulting resolution. It has part of the movement property of Drizzle - maybe it would work to enhance resolution?

In that way the benefits of mono over OSC may be reduced?

Or am I dreaming!

There is an excellent discussion here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-460-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers
GlennB

The purpose of binning is to remove hot pixels and reduce noise, unfortunately it will not improve resolution, but it does improve final image quality.