Old 26-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Nightingale

Televue eyepieces price hike

i see that at the start of the year the 21mm ethos had gone up by $100.. Today i see that it has climbed another $20 to a whooping $1419 for a single eyepiece on Bintel's website ?falling Aussie ?demand and supply?
Old 26-02-2020, 01:59 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
i see that at the start of the year the 21mm ethos had gone up by $100.. Today i see that it has climbed another $20 to a whooping $1419 for a single eyepiece on Bintel's website ?falling Aussie ?demand and supply?
scares people away, doesn't it ..... you could buy a FS60CB OTA for that and still have change .. !!

Col...
Old 26-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Nightingale

No Col, it does not scare me at all... i think i can afford it, but not sure if i would want to... i wonder if it is purely the brand rather than actual quality... But given the recent price hike, maybe its just catering for the demand..

Glad i got a refund for the Apollo 11 i purchased recently.. 'fortunately' it got stuck in customs (i bought it for the brand initially)... but i see that no one in the US are buying them (plenty of stock left)... and i doubt they will retain their value.. most of the Televue products sell for almost half their original price in the second hand market...

managed to buy a whole lot of accessories including two rival 100 deg eyepieces (APM hdc) for the amount i paid and had plenty of change left! pretty glad with the outcome.
Old 26-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I imagine it’s largely due to the fall in the $AUD, was trading at .69c a few months back but now it’s down to .63c.
Old 26-02-2020, 04:53 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Bintel ad in Sky & Space magazine circa 2003.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Televue.jpg)
190.8 KB82 views

Last edited by UniPol; 26-02-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 26-02-2020, 05:29 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
AUD-USD average for:

2001=0.52
2002=0.54
2003=0.65
2004=0.74
2005=0.76
2005=0.75

If you want highs and lows for the years just web search it.

Given that a 31mm Nagler at 2003 wages cost about what a 21mm Ethos costs at 2020 wages I think the Ethos is a bargain. 31mm Nagler is $1099 (today). Local pricing will have a lag because of stock on hand bought at either higher or lower pricing.

As for the FS60CB; how exactly do I fit it into my focuser to use as an eyepiece?
Old 26-02-2020, 05:50 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

What is going on to the Kangaroo dollar ?

https://www.xe.com/

Now the rate compared to the Euro is only 61c and 65c to the US Dollar.
In 2018 I paid EUR 0.67 for an AUD.

For me it is favorable now I am in Oz, but for the Ozzies it is no good (except for Exporting products).

Who is controlling the buttons of the exchange rate ?
Old 26-02-2020, 05:58 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
No Col, it does not scare me at all... i think i can afford it, but not sure if i would want to... i wonder if it is purely the brand rather than actual quality... But given the recent price hike, maybe its just catering for the demand..

Glad i got a refund for the Apollo 11 i purchased recently.. 'fortunately' it got stuck in customs (i bought it for the brand initially)... but i see that no one in the US are buying them (plenty of stock left)... and i doubt they will retain their value.. most of the Televue products sell for almost half their original price in the second hand market...

managed to buy a whole lot of accessories including two rival 100 deg eyepieces (APM hdc) for the amount i paid and had plenty of change left! pretty glad with the outcome.

TeleVue eyepieces as many other brands are user specific but the quality build and strict quality control are worth the money, I have had a lot of them but the ones that are suited to you and the scopes you use are magic, I have the Ethos 21 and 8, Nagler 17 t4 and have the 4.7 stellarvue 110 deg clone all bought used and are the best of the best for me but bought the coveted 31 Nagler and with the astigmatism in my viewing eye and the large exit pupil could not bring stars to pinpoint focus a significant improvement on the ES 30 but still not acceptable and with a lot of the other TeleVue eyepieces just did not suit me but when they are right they are perfect, My advice buy and sell the fl's and fov you are interested in until the ones that suit come along because when they do you will instantly know, The apollo 11 is a sore point with me and i think you dodged a bullet there as i think TeleVue went too far with marketing and pricing on this one and should not be bought as a valuable future family heirloom as this will definitely not be the case........
Old 26-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Startrek (Martin)

If you want Televue you will always have to pay for it , they are quality high end products regardless of which era you bought them in , the value of the dollar or world market fluctuations
Old 27-02-2020, 06:22 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
Great how the EPs depicted (TVPL) aren't being offered, and the advertised ones aren't being shown in the photo. Bintel sure have come a long way in how they present themselves. Maybe they were more BIN than TEL back then..