Old 16-04-2016, 10:11 PM
DJT (David)

Plate solve question

Hi, hoping the collective can help

I recently put together an ST2000xm with an FS60CB just to mess around with. The CCD will eventually play nicely with a different scope I hope.

With the Fs! the imaging scale is no great shakes at 4.31 and plate solving with Maxim DL fails repeatedly saying imaging scale not setup correctly, which I think I have done. I am using Pinpoint Lite, default with maxim and I used Maxim to calculate the imaging scale.

Any tricks here I need to know about? I suspect this is just a consequence of the imaging scale but any hints would help.

Cheers
Old 17-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I used to do all of my plate solving at 4.5' when I 3x3 binned and didn't have any problems. What does help is giving it a realistic number of stars so I tend to work with a magnitude range of 3-12. That gives plenty of stars in a catelog and is very generous as to what will be in the image.
Are you binning? If you are you need to change the image scale accordingly.
Old 17-04-2016, 07:05 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

David,

Does it attempt to solve or just pop up the error message? Don't think I've ever seen that error. I used to solve at 3.5 arcsec/pixel without any problems. As Colin said, it sometimes helps to tweak the magnitude range.

Perhaps you could upload a sub somewhere? I'd be happy to drop it in to Maxim and see if I can solve it.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-04-2016, 09:23 AM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Are you binning? If you are you need to change the image scale accordingly.
Hi Colin. No, not binning. I will give playing with the star mags a go though. Thanks for that.

Hi Rick
When plate solving after a slew it will give it a go then return the error message when it fails. If I try it again, it goes straight to the error.

Have also tried blind solving but no luck.

Will dig out a sub later tonight and drop box it if I don't get any luck playing with mags.

Cheers