Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media

Old 26-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Dave,
Maybe not pdf, but you can select pages to print......
Old 26-08-2018, 01:39 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Dave,
Maybe not pdf, but you can select pages to print......
I guess. Damned if I was going to print to PDF every page and then try and stitch it together...no thank you lol.
Old 26-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
It is all about the control and extracting more money from the reader. Preventing piracy is just an excuse.

1. You don't own the content any more.
A paper copy or a PDF copy was ownership. Now you are just "renting" the content that you have no control off and that can be switched off at any time.

>snip

This was the pivotal change in the rules that led me to cancelling the small number of digital subscriptions that I had with photography & astronomy magazines.

I considered that for my usage, the imposed change transformed the business transaction it an unequal, unfair and unsatisfactory relationship between them, the provider and me, the subscriber.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 26-08-2018, 08:06 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
with regards to #2 - the last time that I checked with S&T (around 3 years ago), I was told that the annual DVDs did not contain PDFs, but required the included software to be able to read the issues. Did they change it?
Don't know, I got the info from S&T reply to Ken above:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Zinio does not offer a PDF download function; however, the magazine remains readable offline using Zinio's apps for desktop computers and for iOS and Android mobile devices. Sky & Telescope will also continue to release yearly compilation CDs, which include the PDF of each issue in a given year. These compilations are available at shopatsky.com.

Also to clarify my point about googling "Zinio PDF", it was to show that this move has nothing to do with preventing piracy. Getting PDFs out of Zinio seems trivial.
(Alternatively you can try installing a PDF printer and printing to it.)
Old 26-08-2018, 08:16 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Post deleted, violation of TOS.

Last edited by RB; 17-09-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 15-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Don't know, I got the info from S&T reply to Ken above:

Also to clarify my point about googling "Zinio PDF", it was to show that this move has nothing to do with preventing piracy. Getting PDFs out of Zinio seems trivial.
(Alternatively you can try installing a PDF printer and printing to it.)
Zinio is a pain to use. You have no way of saving your mag to your HD. Subscribing through Zinio means you will always have to use their app. Once my photo magazine subscription runs out, I will not use them again.

As for S&T, I will not subscribe through Zinio either. However, you can still buy the issue from the S&T shop. I just went to New Arrivals and downloaded the PDF for the October issue. It costs USD5.99, but at least I can save it to my disk and don't need a crappy app to read it. I will just continue to buy it from the S&T shop each month.

Cheers Peter
Old 15-09-2018, 09:26 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
Zinio is a pain to use. You have no way of saving your mag to your HD. Subscribing through Zinio means you will always have to use their app. Once my photo magazine subscription runs out, I will not use them again.

As for S&T, I will not subscribe through Zinio either. However, you can still buy the issue from the S&T shop. I just went to New Arrivals and downloaded the PDF for the October issue. It costs USD5.99, but at least I can save it to my disk and don't need a crappy app to read it. I will just continue to buy it from the S&T shop each month.

Cheers Peter
Ah, i thought they'd removed the monthly PDF purchase option? If they're still allowing that, then their decision to use Zinio and remove users from downloading the magazine is even more silly. I mean, if the latter is to stop piracy, what's to stop people buying the magazine every month in PDF form and uploading it to piracy sites...stupid!
Old 16-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Ah, i thought they'd removed the monthly PDF purchase option? If they're still allowing that, then their decision to use Zinio and remove users from downloading the magazine is even more silly. I mean, if the latter is to stop piracy, what's to stop people buying the magazine every month in PDF form and uploading it to piracy sites...stupid!
I suspect that S&T don't have a problem with selling the mag through their shop, after all, they will be making more money than through subscriptions. As long as they continue to sell it through their shop, I am happy to pay the extra to have a PDF version.

If they stop selling it on a monthly basis through their shop then I will stop reading this magazine, because I will not subscribe through Zinio again. Alternatively, I will just wait until they release their annual disk. I have the entire collection, up to 2016 on disk (2017 is on its way).
Old 16-09-2018, 01:18 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
I suspect that S&T don't have a problem with selling the mag through their shop, after all, they will be making more money than through subscriptions. As long as they continue to sell it through their shop, I am happy to pay the extra to have a PDF version.

If they stop selling it on a monthly basis through their shop then I will stop reading this magazine, because I will not subscribe through Zinio again. Alternatively, I will just wait until they release their annual disk. I have the entire collection, up to 2016 on disk (2017 is on its way).
yeah, but the hypocrisy of it all. If they're that worried about piracy, why offer a PDF at all?
Old 16-09-2018, 06:57 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
yeah, but the hypocrisy of it all. If they're that worried about piracy, why offer a PDF at all?
Agreed! I just hope they continue to offer the mag through their shop each month.

If I pay for a mag, I think it should be mine, and not a bloody rental.

After 40 plus years of reading S&T they may very well lose a reader, and that should be a tragedy, but I doubt S&T see it that way.
Old 16-09-2018, 09:32 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Most people wouldn't complain about not being able to download a PDF. I suspect that that is what S&T's new owners are gambling on.
Old 21-09-2018, 11:58 AM
phomer (Paul)

I think the operative word is "gamble" and as much as I have tried to like Zinio, I am not even close to achieving that state.

Relying on proprietary viewing software into the future is indeed a gamble that I do not want to take, and like everyone else I was not given a choice.

As for usability it is sorely lacking, I can't even find a way to rotate the view.

Paul
Old 21-09-2018, 05:15 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Relying on proprietary software is never good.