Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 AM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Good robust conversations & thoughts going on there

Folks, just to be clear - my intention is to more easily remove poxy purple stars from my NB images, and easily replace them with nice, natural looking RGB ones.

This is by far the best solution for this that I've come across to date. Although the interface is certainly clunky, the results far outweigh the inconvenience of performing this operation.

I don't mind the occasional starless image either. When done well and on the right subject, it can teach us more about the structure and form of a nebula, without the distraction of stars.
Phew..with you on fixing NB stars. It’s the odd occasion when explaining what’s going on in an image to someone that gives me the jitters...

“So, this Rosette Nebula piccie, what’s that all about then?”

“Well, it goes like this, the highly energetic stars are chucking off so much energy they have carved out this huge hole from the cloud of gas from where they were formed, see?”

“What stars?”
Old 01-05-2019, 04:05 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Gee I better shut up then. I was going to start a thread on how to remove stars for processing narrowband - I'm getting poxy green halos. I've never done it before and am having a hell of a time with it
Old 02-05-2019, 01:37 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

John Gleason has been posting some starless Ha images on Astrobin using this software for a bit now with some truly awesome results. I actually quite like them - without the stars it makes you appreciate more of the detail in the nebulosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
No it aint
Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I actually quite like starless images. I posted an image processed with this a little while ago now but didn't gather much interest, probably because everyone here seems to dislike such images.

According to the github repo:

Quote:
This newral net was trained using data from refractor telescope (FSQ106 + QSI 683 wsg-8), so will work best for data from similar imaging systems. That's a bit of a bad news for many users of reflector telescopes. If you have long spikes in your images, then the net will not take care of these spikes very well, I tried and didn't like results too much.
Said github repo seems to show examples of images with diffraction spikes that have turned out well... so now I'm confused. I can't remember if it had those examples in the past... it . definitely had some, but I'm not sure about the ones with obvious diffraction spikes. Maybe the description is outdated now and the author has successfully trained it with such images.

I process my images with unmasked stars so they probably come out a bit worse than they could. I've recently started playing around with some ideas to clean those up, but maybe I should revisit this software. Seems like this could be an easy way to get rid of them so I can replace them with stars that have been better processed.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
No it aint
Yes, it is