Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Any views on Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and Tokina 11-16 F2.8?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these two lenses, the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 and the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 for Canon. Not interested in Astro with these more as higher quality (that kit) lenses for general photography. I understand the Tokina has one flaw with CA's but not sure how big a deal that is?

cheers,

Rob
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
RB (Andrew)

Sorry no hands-on experience with these lenses from Tokina but I did buy the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and was disappointed.
Lot's of CA so exchanged it for the Canon 15mm fisheye instead.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Bloodbean (Troy)

I've got the Tamron 17-50 mounted on my Canon 450D and absolutely love it! Was amazed in the difference from the kit lens in sharpness. I haven't tried the Tokina but have tried the Canon 17-55mm IS, and while the IS was great I found the CA shocking, especially at 17mm. Plus the Canon lens is more than twice the price of the Tamron. On a side note, I've got the Sigma 10-20mm and have found it lacks sharpness and really needs to be stopped down to f/8-11 to be acceptable. I was looking at the Tokina 11-16mm as an option instead of the Sigma as it's faster and you only loose 1mm on the wide end. Seems like it would make a nice compliment to the Tamron 17-50 (11-50mm at f/2.8).

Nice review on the Tamron here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Troy
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Rob

I haven’t used either, but have a look here, the Tokina 11 to 16mm gets a great write up. Here is the verdict from Photozone.

"Verdict:
The Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is currently the best ultra-wide angle zoom lens for Canon EOS APS-C DSLRs. The resolution is impressively high throughout the zoom range (albeit a short one) and across the image field. Vignetting is really only a problem at 11mm @ f/2.8 but otherwise the issue is very well controlled. The level of distortions is comparatively low. Typical for most Tokina lenses it has one weakness: lateral CAs which are very high at all settings. The build quality is on a very high level and it’s a joy to handle the lens out there. All-in-all a very sound package especially when considering the quite affordable price (around 600EUR/US$).”

Cheers

Dennis
Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

thanks fellas!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
bato (Luke)

Rob, the Tamron 17-50 is a top lens. I have had mine for about 12 months now on a 400D and love it. The constant f2.8 is great and once you have had it you wont know how you could cope with anything less.
In other words I highly recommend it.

Luke