Old 16-02-2017, 10:29 AM
garymck (Gary)

Baader Zoom

Hi,
wondering how good the Baader zoom eyepiece is? Usage will be in a C11. I have a 31mm Nagler as my deep sky eyepiece and that sits in the scope 90% of the time. Looking at the zoom for planetary viewing as I often have to chase the seeing - I'm in Geelong, and the seeing is incredibly variable from appalling to magnificent- sometimes in the same night. It is a real pain changing eyepieces to determine optimum viewing, so thinking about this one eyepiece to make things easier.

I must wear specs due to severe asigmatism, so also wondering how it fares wearing them?
TIA
cheers
Gary
Old 16-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

They're pretty good...in the right scope. IMO the focal range isn't good for a C11...for a C8 it would be a better fit.

I'm not being funny, but if changing eyepieces is a "real pain", then maybe this isn't the hobby for you

Seeing - especially with a scope with the focal length of a C11 - comes and goes regardless. Pick a focal length, stick it in the scope and be patient. As the seeing will come and go - and there is nothing we can do about that - just sit and watch and every now and again you will be rewarded with moments of decent seeing that will make it worthwhile.

One eyepiece that I find works well in my C11 is the Pentax XF 12.5mm. The magnification isn't too high, so you increase your chances of getting more moments of good seeing, it's nice and sharp and the eye relief is good for specs (20mm iirc).
Old 16-02-2017, 11:23 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Hi,
wondering how good the Baader zoom eyepiece is? Usage will be in a C11. I have a 31mm Nagler as my deep sky eyepiece and that sits in the scope 90% of the time. Looking at the zoom for planetary viewing as I often have to chase the seeing - I'm in Geelong, and the seeing is incredibly variable from appalling to magnificent- sometimes in the same night. It is a real pain changing eyepieces to determine optimum viewing, so thinking about this one eyepiece to make things easier.

I must wear specs due to severe asigmatism, so also wondering how it fares wearing them?
TIA
cheers
Gary
I use my Baader Zoom in a large dob, so not sure of the viewing differences between that and a C11 other than the much longer focal length, but I really enjoy it. I wouldn't say changing eyepieces is a real pain for me, but certainly limiting the number of times I have to faff about with EPs in the dark was a contributing factor to its purchase, so I understand where you're coming from. Can't comment on the astigmatism/glasses issue, but in the reviews I read prior to purchasing it, it was a well regarded eyepiece, and I would certainly recommend it, all things being equal. In your C11 I think it would give about 350x maximum mag, which is pretty good for planetary I would have thought. Others with more knowledge of SCTs could probably provide more insight.
Old 16-02-2017, 11:28 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
well I bought a new Mark 4 version with matching Baader zoom barlow (have other scopes I can use it in). Got it from the UK. The cost of the eyepiece and barlow plus DHL Express delivery was cheaper than buying a Mark3 plus postage here! Plus based on shipping time here, I'll probably get it quicker than I would if I bought it in Australia....

cheers
Gary
Old 16-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The zoom barlow will be redundant with your C11 but it's a nice little barlow and works well with shorter focal length scopes or if you get into planetary imaging
Old 16-02-2017, 12:53 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
They're pretty good...in the right scope. IMO the focal range isn't good for a C11...for a C8 it would be a better fit.

I'm not being funny, but if changing eyepieces is a "real pain", then maybe this isn't the hobby for you

Seeing - especially with a scope with the focal length of a C11 - comes and goes regardless. Pick a focal length, stick it in the scope and be patient. As the seeing will come and go - and there is nothing we can do about that - just sit and watch and every now and again you will be rewarded with moments of decent seeing that will make it worthwhile.

One eyepiece that I find works well in my C11 is the Pentax XF 12.5mm. The magnification isn't too high, so you increase your chances of getting more moments of good seeing, it's nice and sharp and the eye relief is good for specs (20mm iirc).
I agree also; I just use the zoom to find the ideal magnification for the seeing conditions and object that night . Usually then I'll change to a 13mm Nagler in a similar scope ; a 10" Sct for doubles ,planets etc.
bigjoe.
Old 16-02-2017, 01:08 PM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
Im aware that the zoom will be redundant in the C11, however as I mentioned I have other scopes.....

I use my nagler 31t5 for 90% of my viewing - it gives 90x, fine for almost all deep sky.

I will use the zoom at
16mm - 175x
12mm - 233x
8mm - 350x (can use this on a couple of nights a year)
so I actually think it's a reasonable spread of magnifications with a good degree of user friendliness :-)

cheers
Gary
Old 16-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

You know you can still see through it when it's in between, right?
Old 16-02-2017, 04:46 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Hi,
Im aware that the zoom will be redundant in the C11, however as I mentioned I have other scopes.....

I use my nagler 31t5 for 90% of my viewing - it gives 90x, fine for almost all deep sky.
And a zoom EP will *never* produce an 82 deg FOV, which is particularly useful in a long FL C11.
Old 24-02-2017, 09:07 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

The Baader Zoom works fine in a C11, its what I was using. Makes star hopping handy and it was far more comfortable than the celestron eyepiece that came with my scope and also clearer.
Old 24-02-2017, 09:37 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
And a zoom EP will *never* produce an 82 deg FOV, which is particularly useful in a long FL C11.
I agree skysurfer; one really needs those widefields at such looong focal lengths from experience in my 10" SCT.
bigjoe.
Old 24-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

To me a zoom eyepiece comes into it's own when doing solar observing.
Nothing to beat whizzing in from a full disk to the detail in and around active areas.

Last edited by Merlin66; 25-02-2017 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spel
Old 24-02-2017, 10:53 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
To me a zoom eyepiece comes into it's own when doing solar observing.
Nothing to bear whizzing in from a full disk to the detail in and around active areas.
Hi Ken .I certainly wouldn't be without one for judging the optimal magnification for the seeing ; especially on certain double stars !
bigjoe.
Old 25-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Joe,
Good point.....
Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Gary,

How about an update on your new Zoom? Like it? Mistake?

I have two zooms, a Baader Hyperion (original) and a Celestron, both 8-24. Love 'em. Zoom is my most used eyepiece in all of my scopes.

The Baader, the original, not a Mark III or IV, is a bit too wide for my ETX 80 and 125 in that it blocks access to the screw to lock it in. On these I use the Celestron.

On my Orion XT8i I use the Baader for the wider FOV. I use the 2" collar rather than the 1.25 adapter that comes with the scope.

90% of the time I stay with the zoom rather than switching to a single FL eyepiece. very very convenient.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Hersey!!

I'll have you know good sir that the Hyperion Zoom Mark 3 is my go to eyepiece for grab and go use because I specifically don't want to bother changing eyepieces!!!!

I will drive to Queensland. Meet you at Astrofest, AND FIGHT YOU!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:26 PM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
extremely happy with it. Combined with my Nagler 31mm, I don't feel the need for any other eyepieces. Love being able to zoom in and out. Using it on a C11- the Nagler is most used, the zoom for any medium/high power stuff. Don't need wide angle for that...Would highly recommend the eyepiece.

cheers
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Gary,

How about an update on your new Zoom? Like it? Mistake?

I have two zooms, a Baader Hyperion (original) and a Celestron, both 8-24. Love 'em. Zoom is my most used eyepiece in all of my scopes.

The Baader, the original, not a Mark III or IV, is a bit too wide for my ETX 80 and 125 in that it blocks access to the screw to lock it in. On these I use the Celestron.

On my Orion XT8i I use the Baader for the wider FOV. I use the 2" collar rather than the 1.25 adapter that comes with the scope.

90% of the time I stay with the zoom rather than switching to a single FL eyepiece. very very convenient.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Thanks for the update. Similar to my experience.
Old 19-04-2017, 06:48 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

FYI - the new Mk IV version is now showing on the MyAstroShop website.

http://myastroshop.com.au/products/d...sp?id=MAS-057A
Old 11-05-2017, 06:16 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Anyone else have one of these? I would like to read more user reports.