Old 03-03-2018, 07:55 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

8F6 build

Always trying new projects. Picked up an 8" f6 for a good price recently. I've always reckoned it's an ideal size and f for a mountable astro newt. So I pulled the RN 8F8 I built earlier down and shortened it up a wee bit.
When I finish the current imaging project I'll put it up on the mount and see how it goes with the 1200D for a starter.
Photo is from about a week ago, it now has a light shield around the mirror. Still has the wire suspended secondary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dsc07075small.jpg)
114.0 KB83 views
Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM
sharpiel

Well done Brent to you and everyone else here on IIS. Looking at your builds and those of others here over time I have to think how amazing it is how far amateur telescope making has come in the last 30 years.

I love your wire spider. No doubt you've built upon the ideas of those before us.

I have some very old copies of ATM magazine which I love to retread on occasion. And having lived thru the Damien Peach era and Mel Bartels and the rest of the pioneers, including the new pioneers rising amongst us now I marvel at the ingenuity and abilities of those of us in this community pushing the boundaries of what's possible in our own work rooms and sheds out back across all facets of our hobby.

I'm glad the enthusiasm to experiment and innovate is still strong amongst us all.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:35 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Thanks Les, I quite enjoy the process, solving the problems and finding new ways and new materials to complete the build.

Rolf ( SkyViking ) was my inspiration for the wire supported secondary. I don't know where he got it from. It can be fun to get it adjusted, especially for the first time.

I have to say the crowd here on IIS are my inspiration and support for my DIY builds and experiments. There are some seriously clever people here.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Always trying new projects. Picked up an 8" f6 for a good price recently. I've always reckoned it's an ideal size and f for a mountable astro newt. So I pulled the RN 8F8 I built earlier down and shortened it up a wee bit.
When I finish the current imaging project I'll put it up on the mount and see how it goes with the 1200D for a starter.
Photo is from about a week ago, it now has a light shield around the mirror. Still has the wire suspended secondary.
Nice work Brent, love to see people getting off their RRRs and building stuff.....
These days it's all too easy to just buy without any DIY input.
I love building stuff..... I am in the midst of reincarnating Mark Hodson's 18"F3.5, Mark's DIY build was very solid but too bulky for my needs so a little modification is going on with that.

Keep the pictures flowing
Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Cheers Kunama,

It now has a simple guide scope mount to hold the 80F5.

I got another 1.5 hours of photons for my current imaging project last night. I'll incorporate that into previous photons and see how it looks. All being well I could mount this re-incarnation up maybe over the weekend.