Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2020, 12:09 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Mike, I think the problem is that the 10/50 rule is not sufficient in areas where mature trees and homes coexist. Under the 10/50 rule, providing you are in an approved area, you can remove trees and vegetation within 10 metres of your house and clear the undergrowth within 50 metres of habitable structures.

This is not sufficient when the mature eucalypts tower over houses at 30 metres.

The councils continue to prosecute anyone clearing proper firebreaks even though it has been shown that those 'illegal' clearings were only just sufficient to protect the homes and indeed the lives of the residents.

Maybe, just maybe after tomorrow's devastation some of these lawmakers will grow some common sense.
Ah ok, you are talking about clearing around dwellings, ok, yes that may well need to be reviewed ...although, I get the impression that the current conditions probably mean even that change will make little difference...? Of course Eucalyptus are an issue by themselves, they are fire makers not retardants.

Mike
Old 03-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Not only around dwellings Mike, in the 80s I spent a great deal of time in the mountainous areas of Victoria and NSW as well as the Brindies. In those days the various firetrails were open and reasonably well maintained but by the early 90s almost all those trails had been neglected to the point that they were difficult to traverse.

Many of the current fires, especially the ember attacks were able to grow to catastrophic proportions as no access is available through the bush.

I recall the many signs where trails were 'Closed for regeneration', I wonder what those proponents of 'closing the forest to all but the rangers' now feel about their handiwork....
Old 03-01-2020, 12:32 PM
DarkArts

Well, the "Apollo 13" air filter seems to work. At least the smell of smoke is virtually eliminated, the slight nausea disappeared and I slept like a log - though I can't say if the PM2.5 count is affected (as that is typically not what we smell).
Old 03-01-2020, 12:51 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Not only around dwellings Mike, in the 80s I spent a great deal of time in the mountainous areas of Victoria and NSW as well as the Brindies. In those days the various firetrails were open and reasonably well maintained but by the early 90s almost all those trails had been neglected to the point that they were difficult to traverse.

Many of the current fires, especially the ember attacks were able to grow to catastrophic proportions as no access is available through the bush.

I recall the many signs where trails were 'Closed for regeneration', I wonder what those proponents of 'closing the forest to all but the rangers' now feel about their handiwork....
OK, interesting, if you are right, it's food for thought....hopefully!

Mike
Old 03-01-2020, 01:13 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
We were in Sydney on 15/16 Dec and back again on the 29 Dec and on those days it seemed the smoke haze was up higher, not down low, so easier to breath (still some nice coloured suns in the sky)..? I am assuming winds had been able to lift it up and dilute/mix it more?

Mike
It had its moments since beginning of November depending how far the fires were, the temperatures and wind direction.

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (fires_01.jpg)
194.4 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (fires_02.jpg)
196.8 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (fires_03.jpg)
179.1 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (fires_04.jpg)
196.3 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (fires_05.jpg)
198.4 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (fires_06.jpg)
198.3 KB21 views
Old 03-01-2020, 02:37 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Not good stuff that....I can't stand it feeling a tad claustrophobic...

Mike
Old 03-01-2020, 03:44 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

ANU had a filter hand-out today ($3) - started at 1430, all 700 gone by 1435... we missed out. Got some P2 filters at Bunnings Majura for $15 per 2...they were selling SO fast too - the box disposal area was chokkas with empty 3M boxes!

Today at least is half-OK. Took the kids to Queanbeyan pool, and they only had the indoor pool open. Manuka pool was completely closed.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:46 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Holy crap! As expected, Now, the smoke is real bad!!! .....looks like the apocalypse out there!
Old 05-01-2020, 01:16 AM
DarkArts

Yeah - wind change a couple of hours ago - PM2.5 is currently 1200 ug/m3! The raspy throat and mild nausea is back, though not as bad as a couple of days ago.

I've just finished taping up the last of the doors and windows, which is just as well since I've run out of tape.

We can't win - fire on three sides - our predicament is we choke from three directions or bake from the fourth.

Still, it's a tad better than some places on the south coast, I guess.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:17 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

8am, and outside looks like breakfast in hell. Never seen it this orange.

I took the torch out last night after the front came through, and the ash was thick in the air.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

It's bluudy shocking, woke up with dry stuffed nostrils and burning back of throat and we are in a well sealed apartment...Looks like the winds stay easterly/southerly until mid Tues too! so at least two days of this and even then no guarantee of it lifting. Meanwhile the fires keep marching....A good fiend of mine is a doctor at Calvary Hospital (one of the two big hospitals in Canberra) and he said the hospital is full of smoke....this is an extraordinary situation and I expect some mild panic as the day progresses....thankfully it is a little cooler today.

Mike
Old 05-01-2020, 08:56 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
It's bluudy shocking, woke up with dry stuffed nostrils and burning back of throat and we are in a well sealed apartment...Looks like the winds stay easterly/southerly until mid Tues too! so at least two days of this and even then no guarantee of it lifting. Meanwhile the fires keep marching....A good fiend of mine is a doctor at Calvary Hospital (one of the two big hospitals in Canberra) and he said the hospital is full of smoke....this is an extraordinary situation and I expect some mild panic as the day progresses....thankfully it is a little cooler today.

Mike
Yet we are among the lucky ones. Batlow and Talbingo were hit by the Dunns Road Fire last night and both towns would have disappeared from the maps were it not for those who stayed behind to work alongside the RFS members.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:17 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Yet we are among the lucky ones. Batlow and Talbingo were hit by the Dunns Road Fire last night and both towns would have disappeared from the maps were it not for those who stayed behind to work alongside the RFS members.
Yes I know, currently at least, we are just dealing with smoke. Its been said a lot in recent times but... those guys are fairdinkum heroes.

Mike
Old 05-01-2020, 10:28 AM
glend (Glen)

I have noticed that few RFS fire fighters appear to wear smoke protection. Many of these people have put in hundreds of hours at the fire front over recent months. I am concerned about the long term health effects that these volunteers are facing. You look at their city brigade counterparts, most of whom are equipped with positive pressure air masks, and these "professionals" would not see the sort of fire facing hours/days/weeks that the volunteers are putting in. . What is going to happen ten years or more down the track to these guys? Does anyone know what the NSW RFS policy is on smoke protection?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I’m not even thinking about astronomy at the moment
We were the lucky ones who evacuated our weekender ( my wife , our 4 Adult kids with partners and 2 grand kids ) last Thursday near the huge Conjola fire , and literally an hour later after getting on the Princes Hwy just past Wandandian, the RFS closed it again
Every day I’m thinking about everyone who’s still down there , either under threat or in fear of their life and property from these fires
Crawling along the Princess Highway last Thursday I have never seen such devastation in my 60 years
Absolutely horrific
Yes we lost power for 2 days , limited food , smoke as thick as heavy fog day and night but we got out , we were the lucky ones
Our neighbours who are permanent residents are staying and I call them every day
Astronomy can wait , it’s not going anywhere
Old 05-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I’m not even thinking about astronomy at the moment
We were the lucky ones who evacuated our weekender ( my wife , our 4 Adult kids with partners and 2 grand kids ) last Thursday near the huge Conjola fire , and literally an hour later after getting on the Princes Hwy just past Wandandian, the RFS closed it again
Every day I’m thinking about everyone who’s still down there , either under threat or in fear of their life and property from these fires
Crawling along the Princess Highway last Thursday I have never seen such devastation in my 60 years
Absolutely horrific
Yes we lost power for 2 days , limited food , smoke as thick as heavy fog day and night but we got out , we were the lucky ones
Our neighbours who are permanent residents are staying and I call them every day
Astronomy can wait , it’s not going anywhere
Glad you got out safely Martin;

Have to say, I've been watching coverage of the fires in several popular holiday spots & it defies logic that some holiday makers refused to leave when they had the opportunity & have subsequently been evacuated by sea.

Locals staying to defend their town, I understand to some degree but, holiday makers not leaving when the opportunity presents is just plain stupid & to a degree, selfish, with firefighters now having to defend additional people.

Hope your neighbours & everyone else in the fire zones stay safe...
Old 05-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Carlton
Couldn’t agree more
Thanks mate
Cheers
Martin
Old 05-01-2020, 11:55 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Wife and I went to load trucks and cars this morning in Mitchell for animal relief in the Nowra areas. Only perhaps 30 people turned up to help. Thankfully though, PLENTY of donations, especially from the peope of Gunghalin. We are doing a water load run this afternoon from Gunghalin back to Mitchell to load the convoy again. Every little bit helps.

We could have used a StrongMan...

Heard on the radio this morning Aus Post is stopping delivery to Canberra including P2 mask resupply etc for "the safety of it's employees" so the SES has picked up the ball these cretins have dropped and is driving to Sydney to collect them, as well as passengers on flights bringing them in.

Time to forget meaningless hobbies like Astronomy for the time being and help the community.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Wilso

Those p2 masks aren’t the best for fumes, but something is better than nothing! If you can’t get any masks just a bandana soaked in water around your face will help a lot.
We are getting steady light rain over here today in SA so hopefully it’s heading your way tomorrow.
All the best.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:10 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

We were told to hang onto clothing, bedding and kitchenware donations for the time being so we are now sending some money to various groups.....

The RFS guys and all the volunteers actually fighting these infernos deserve to be named as Australians of the Year..... they are amazing and I can understand their anger and frustration about things going on...