Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media

Old 03-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Barnacle (Bill)

Stargazing Live - Prof Brian Cox - ABC TV! April 4, 5 and 6!

Hi All,

ABC TV presents Stargazing Live!

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/stargazing-live/

Australian first live event broadcast 4,5,6 April

Prof Brian Cox and Presenter Julia Zemiro Take Viewers to Space

Over three consecutive nights, across ABC, ABC2 and ABC iview renowned physicist Professor Brian Cox and much-loved presenter Julia Zemiro are joined by a cast of Australia’s leading scientists and some familiar faces to inspire the nation to ‘look up’ and appreciate the unique wonders of space and our cosmos.

Episode 1 will look at the Milky Way;

Episode 2 focuses on Planets while,

Episode 3 tackles Aliens.

Throughout the series, the audience will be invited to join an online experiment to discover a brand new planet, far outside the confines of our solar system.

Stargazing Live 4,5,6 April 2017 8.30pm AEST & ABC,ABC2 & ABC iview, 8pm SA + NT, 8.30pm AWST Stargazing Live: Back To Earth 9.30pm AEST on ABC2 & ABC iview, 9pm SA + NT, 9.30pm AWST

Prof Brian Cox returns to Australia in November for a brand new live stage show ‘Prof Brian Cox Live 2017'.

Unsubscribe
Lateral Events Level 11, Challis House, 4 Martin Place Sydney, New South Wales NSW 2000 Australia +61 282724508

Kind regards,

Bill
Old 03-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Derek Klepp

Thanks Bill
Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Barnacle (Bill)

Prof Brian Cox & Stargazing Live

My pleasure!

Professor Brian Cox was at ANU, with Dr Brad Tucker re: hunting Planet 9, see link below:
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techan...id=mailsignout

Looks like this Australian Live event follows the one they had with BBC Stargazing Live in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8

Enjoy the three nights at ABC, my fellow astronomical Australians!

Kind regards,

Bill
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

there is a live event on thurs at Fed square in Melb to go along with this, ASV, RBG will have marquee's up, 7=10pm Dr Karl is doing some live cross
Old 04-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Barnacle (Bill)

Federation Square Live event with Dr Karl

Cool, many thanks!

http://fedsquare.com/events/stargazi...r-karl-friends

Stargazing Live - with Dr Karl & Friends

Have you ever wondered if aliens exist? If we can holiday on Mars one day? Or just wanted to know more about the moon or Australia’s connection to Apollo 13?

Join Dr Karl, Grace Koh and friends at a fun, free community event in Federation Square on Thursday 6 April from 7-10pm.

Drive a Mars Rover Sphero, be guided by astronomy experts as you view the stars and the moon through high-tech telescopes, journey through the universe using Virtual and Augmented Reality headsets, or devour some delicious snacks from the many food trucks on-hand.

Or simply be entertained by live music and interesting science discussions.

Then at 8:30pm lay out your picnic rug and enjoy a live broadcast of Stargazing Live with Brian Cox and Julia Zemiro.

To be a part of this unique event, head down to Federation Square in Melbourne on Thursday 6 April from 7pm and enjoy some family entertainment and an outdoor cinema experience under the stars.

This event is presented by the ABC in partnership with Federation Square.

Lift access & wheelchair accessible.

Kind regards,

Bill
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

A bit dissapointed that they just reused segments from the uk version, for the people thatbwatched the uk one first aha
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 PM
gregbradley

A very good first show. I particularly liked the segment about the Milky Way's supermassive black hole.

Greg.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Somewhat disappointed with the first show. Was definitely pitched at the lowest common denominator... ie. primary school kids.
Currently watching the "after show" chat on ABC2 and finding it much more interesting.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

that was very interesting can't wait for tommorow night planets!!!

Shame they dumbed it down so much i guess they wanted to focus on kids.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I reckon the populace of a forum like this is not the target market.

That said, I enjoyed it, and we let our 8 year old stay up to watch and he really enjoyed it, so IMO it is doing it's job.

He was gobsmacked though when I predicted Eta Carina early in the show and proved to be right.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Yep, I too thought it was great- and my kids paid attention/saw most of it too.
Supposedly I have an image being featured at some point so apart from enlightened self interest, I thought they did a great job to promote Astronomy

Last edited by Andy01; 04-04-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I reckon the populace of a forum like this is not the target market.

That said, I enjoyed it, and we let our 8 year old stay up to watch and he really enjoyed it, so IMO it is doing it's job.

He was gobsmacked though when I predicted Eta Carina early in the show and proved to be right.
Well....there is Eta Carina...then everything else. Very happy that David Malin waxed lyrical about it during the after show chat on ABC 2.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 PM
beren

Not bad, the after show was enjoyable sorry can't help it
more Dr Lisa Harvey-Smith
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Did we really need another thread?!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:25 AM
JA

Very Enjoyable.

Best
JA
Old 05-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Malcolm

I lol'd at Julia sucking on the stubby during the after show when everyone else used a glass.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I lol'd at Julia sucking on the stubby during the after show when everyone else used a glass.
I thought everyone sitting there with a stout (??) looked like product placement, especially when Brian had to pose with his drink near the end. Is that possible from the BBC? It also could create the impression that alcohol and observing go well together, something I've never found to be the case.

What did make me laugh was the poor sod pretending to observe through the short tube refractor in the outside shots. I reckon he was told to 'put the scope here, point it that way and pretend to look at something'. So he battled on in the howling gale trying to look absorbed in his hobby.

The other slight chuckle I had was when they were showing some of the submitted images. They showed a nice nightscape and David Malin commented that it was pretty easy to take such a shot with fairly inexpensive off-the-shelf equipment. Shortly after they showed a Peter Ward image of eta Carina. David didn't comment on the experience or budget behind that image! [Let's not scare the horses.]

It was nice to see Steve Lee again, I haven't seen him in decades and didn't know he was still at the AAT. He is also a Wollongong boy and I remember him getting a job as a junior assistant there in the mid-70s.

I agree that the show is pitched well below 'our' level but I'm so interested to see how astronomy is promoted to 'the masses' that I will watch the next two nights. After all, the chance of clear skies is approaching zero and at the moment my scope would sink into the backyard anyway.

Last edited by AstralTraveller; 05-04-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

will be at fed square tonight , telescope in hand at the rbg tent - -asv will have several scopes also
Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
............The other slight chuckle I had was when they were showing some of the submitted images. They showed a nice nightscape and David Malin commented that it was pretty easy to take such a shot with fairly inexpensive off-the-shelf equipment. Shortly after they showed a Peter Ward image of eta Carina. David didn't comment on the experience or budget behind that image! [Let's not scare the horses.]...........
There are a number of IIS members that have 'scopes etc. that make my gear look a little pedestrian.....begging the queston: your point is?

All things aside....Bravo Auntie ABC!! ...I am totally over the cooking/weight/date drivel that the commercials have been shoveling up.

Sure it's not Sagan's Cosmos, but it is a breath of fresh air.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Kunama

Setting up the 18" (along with another dozen scopes) at Mount Stromlo Observatory this evening to provide some observing opportunities to those lucky people who managed to score tickets to the presentations/slide shows etc....

CFN has reasonable clear forecast....