Old 21-10-2017, 09:47 AM
garymck (Gary)

Lightweight EQ mount

Hi,
looking for suggestions for a lightweight EQ mount.

I'm after something easily portable that can carry a 100mm -115mm refractor and guides scope for imaging. I have superb example of the AZEQ6, but I'm now suffering the ravages of age - arthritis, and can no longer carry it without suffering and I find I'm using any excuse to not visit dark skies to image.

My budget is $3500.

If a GPDX2 was still made, it would be ideal. What about a Sphinx SXD2? Have not seen one in the flesh so have no way to make a judgement on it - anyone have any experience? Would ideally like something better than an EQ5/HEQ5
cheers
Gary
Old 21-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Az-eq5
Old 21-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Wavytone

Gary I've had a Sphinx and sold it very swiftly - I found the Starbook unreadable and the mount was wobbly.

GM8 or AZ-EQ5 as above.
Old 21-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Do you need GOTO or just motors on each axis....
I may have something....
Old 21-10-2017, 03:41 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Do you need GOTO or just motors on each axis....
I may have something....
Hi Merlin,
looking for goto - to use as a portable imaging mount.....

cheers
Gary
Old 21-10-2017, 03:47 PM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Gary I've had a Sphinx and sold it very swiftly - I found the Starbook unreadable and the mount was wobbly.

GM8 or AZ-EQ5 as above.
That bad!!! :-)

cheers
Gary
Old 30-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Wavytone

Gary perhaps a bit harsh - I'm quite long-sighted and wear specs full time - for long distance vision +2.5 diopters and for reading +4.5.

I found the Starbook handset unreadable without and very difficult with specs on. If you are under 40 you might find it easier, and if you can put up with the primitive software design all well and good. The user interface reminds me of a bad 1980's DOS game. Vixen really should have replaced this 20 years ago.

The wobbly Sphinx was another matter - a better mount was necessary. The Vixen HAL tripod was hopelessly inadequate in azimuthal torsion, and there's an old principle: "the diameter of the worm wheels must be not less the ⅓ the aperture of the telescope, and ideally ½ the aperture of the telescope..." This is a fundamentally mechanical issue with all EQ mounts relying on the stiffness of worms and worm wheels, and it remains as valid now as it did in the 1800's when whoever coined it. When you apply this to your scope you will realise what this implies.

What is also interesting IMHO is how much more readable the screen is on my iPhone 6+ in the dark. SkySafari Pro is entirely useable with the iPhone set with a red-screen filtering this was a primary factor in assembling a push-to setup last year for visual observing based on a Losmandy AZ8 with encoders and Nexus II.

Only reason I sold it all was that I had an opportunity to buy a scope that I never dared dream of, which has a focal length that requires a decent EQ GOTO mount.

Last edited by Wavytone; 30-10-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 31-10-2017, 06:05 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

I have a Super Polaris of 1990 + DIY tripod which I use for my ED110 + Canon EOS 6 as a travel scope, which I'll use again on my upcoming Australia trip next summer.

I can easily track 5 minutes unguided @ 600mm on fullframe.

But with guiding you don't need a guiding scope. You can get an off-axis guider with which you can use the same scope as a guiding scope without have adverse effects on the imaging. Saves a few kg.

A skywatcher EQ5 might suffice for a single 115mm refractor.