Old 22-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

Skywatcher focus motor

I'm trying to fit a focus motor to my Skywatcher 102 mm x 1000 mm achromat refractor, i'm following the provided instructions but I can not find any screws of any kind to remove to take off the focus knobs. Could the focus knobs be pressed on, or maybe the focuser spindle is threaded with left and right hand threads.
Would anyone here have any experience with this?
Old 22-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

A couple of images may help....I’ve fitted many SW electronic motors to many OTA’s.
I’m sure it can be resolved.
Old 22-06-2018, 09:05 PM
raymo

A bit odd. Every SW scope I've seen or owned has retaining screws on the
focuser rubber tyred wheels. The pics should be interesting.
raymo
Old 22-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Sooby (John)

There is a Youtube video that may assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIteLt3xcw
Old 23-06-2018, 06:07 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

Skywatcher focus motor

I've tried to attach 2 pictures to show there are no screws, grub screws or roll pins holding the focus knobs to the spindle but the upload fails, And yes I'm following the instructions on how to upload files.
I've spoken to the retailer where i purchased the motor from they were trying to help me but they have not come across this before.They did suggest I purchase a 10:1 focuser and put the motor on that,which I am contemplating
doing if I can't get any joy from other sources first.
I will speak to Sky Watcher Australia first thing Monday to see what they have to say. I've watched the You tube clips on how to fit these motors, Ive spoken to the guys at Astro Anarchy where I purchased the OTA and the guy I was talking to was looking at the 120 mm (the next one up from mine) which has the same focus knobs, he was at a loss as to how the knobs are secured to the focus spindle, and was not able to shed any light on the situation.
As I said in the first post there are no screws around the central boss of the focus knob, Ive removed the rubber grips/rings and there are no grub screws threaded down from the outside.
And yes Raymo I agree everything I've seen on these, they have securing screws of some sort that need to be removed to attach the motor drive,very peculiar.
Old 24-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

sky-watcher focus motor

All fixed, I received an email from Ashley at Sirius-Optics explaining that one of the focus wheels is screwed on, shore enough he was right and it appears that a Loctite thread locker of some sort has been applied to the thread during assembly.
So, A big thanks to Ash from Sirius-Optics for his help.