Old 13-05-2020, 11:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

more Dragon HA

I put something similar in the fighting the dragon thread but no one will get to see it as they have already looked at the thread and will never see my last post.

This is a further improvement on that last image anyway.

This is now 220 minutes of my best ha not coloured in and it seemed not to need much noise reduction which I only noticed when playing with this image that it took away a lot of detail so I was very conservative.

Hopefully because of the cropping these images will not suffer much from posting here as both were of a size that would fit ..usually I have to reduce them heaps ..,I am happy with the colour in these and now that I have a decent bank of subs and 3 and a half hours plus exposure in ha apart from maybe 4 of other channels...I don't know really.. but certainly with this lot things seem to have improved with using just the best.. also I guess the high number is managing the noise better as I did not use darks cause the settings are now all over the place both in gain and exposure.. some here are 2 minutes unguided.I am going to keep getting more data this week if possible and see just how much decent data I can accumulate before I do a final image...
I have tried some O11 but pre stack I don't think there is much there so I will get 4 times as much more.
Had to show you all.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (drag220hastartool11.jpg)
124.3 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (drag220hastartool22.jpg)
208.6 KB65 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 13-05-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:25 PM
Xeteth (David)

Geez, this really is my favorite nebula out there. Absolutely spectacular, I never get tired of seeing images of it.

Great job Alex
Old 14-05-2020, 05:13 AM
assbutt94

Beautiful. I really like how the cropped image is framed, im attempting this target and my framing is similar.
If i remember right you're using a cooled mono now?
There is very little noise, im keen to see where this ends up when you're done.
Old 14-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Great result Alex, looks good and you're right, you got the colour perfect this time. Plenty of detail and tight stars makes this submission one of your best. 2 mins unguided, I'm impressed and it seems mono narrow band imaging is not creating any headaches for you. This shot is worthy of posting in the main image forum and taking on the critique and compliments from the experts. Well done Alex!
Old 14-05-2020, 06:53 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
A ripper image , so much contrast and fine detail
Well done !!
Martin
Old 14-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Very impressive and detailed . I like the monochrome Ha .
Old 14-05-2020, 08:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone but all praise need go to the wonderful, and reasonably priced, ZWO 1600 mono camera and their Ha filter...it is that simple.
As to going to the big boys section...I really don't know what I am doing and any discussion even in the simplest of terms is way beyond me as I am after all just a mug playing with stuff for so long some seemingly decent results creep in..I still can't get goto working for goodness sake...I believe posting in this section may offer encouragement to folk thinking about entering the wonderful sport of astrophotograghy...
And as I said all the credit goes to the gear...the scope after all is only 80mm and reasonably priced, a Skywatcher Espirit, the much under estimated HEQ 5 mount..as I said I have not tuned it or trained it and it tracks so well I wonder if I will ever include auto guide on this particular rig...and of course the wonderful ZWO cooled mono camera...these items deserve high praise...approx 8k which although not insignificant cash is a small figure giving the many years of enjoyment one can expect whilst retaining much value due to the high resale value of decent astrophotograghy gear..

My sincere advice to anyone finding they are really enjoying astrophotograghy is to avoid dismissing the idea of narrow band and believing a DSLR is ok ...well it's ok but when you see those detailed and just so sharp Ha subs appear on your screen when out in the cold wondering why you are not snuggled up in bed..you will think..as I do each and every time..why didn't I do this year's ago...and if you are honest you can only answer that you did not put enough importance on the camera...and think of how one approached buying the scope..must be the best, same for the mount and eye pieces..mmm...but then down the track..I am happy with a DSLR.. sure it's great but if you are going to think better mount or bigger scope or something that the wife's wants...think a ZWO cooled mono and a ha filter...well get her what she wants a day before you get your mono two cooled ha...and perhaps get the 8 wheel filter holder and 7 filters as well.
Now if you order one thru Bintel you can break up payments into four so it becomes 3k by 4 ..if you set aside savings of 60 bucks a week you will have it in 12 months.
Thanks again folks..
Alex
Old 14-05-2020, 08:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hmmmm it's one of those days..I may try some colouring in
Alex
Old 14-05-2020, 01:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well I said I would
It helps me get on top of my colour blindness as I am trying to work out ways to at least minimise the problem...and a close up to show off the power of the little 80mm
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (drag220hastartooaal.jpg)
150.1 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (drag220hastartool.jpg)
207.5 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (dag220hastartooaal.jpg)
136.5 KB47 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 14-05-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:00 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Lovely work there Alex. The amount of contrast in those BW images is amazing.
Old 15-05-2020, 01:17 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Alex, you're an inspiration to some of us, at least. There is nothing wrong with your colouring in either, I really like the 2nd, uncropped image, with all the stars.
Old 15-05-2020, 02:53 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

That's awesome Lex !!!
Old 15-05-2020, 03:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Lovely work there Alex. The amount of contrast in those BW images is amazing.
Thank you..I owe a great deal to dodge and burn.
Alex
Old 15-05-2020, 04:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Alex, you're an inspiration to some of us, at least. There is nothing wrong with your colouring in either, I really like the 2nd, uncropped image, with all the stars.
Thank you. Even the second image is very heavily cropped...I was trying to manage the downsizing to post.
It is the last major crop image that set me back...it really surprises me the detail that one can find in that image and it is just little part of the full frame.
I have been very lucky with my focus...it's been quick, easy and sometimes according to the graph in sharpcap near perfect...I think, and I should have made a note that I had .07 and improved on that.
I think colouring in is just one more skill to have available...obviously I am going over board doing the whole thing but in future if I need to adjust a colour this is on method I can use.
I do want to inspire people to have a go. I think folk can be easily intimidated when starting out and I hope that by presenting my journey and in particular my mistakes new comers will say to themselves..if that silly old guy can do it well I can do it to...and even the oldies who think they need give it up..heck I am more close to cripple than not, colour blind and not that clever...anyone must be able to do at least what I can do.
But my thing is I don't make excuses...things can take just so long..like I work for five minutes and really have to rest for an hour..but then I do another five minutes...that's an hours work each day..one week I can get a whole days work done..and believe me I could sit back and do nothing entirely justified given my pain.
And I have it easy..how would you like to go thru life like the late great S. Hawking...I found him the most inspirational person on the planet.
Thanks again.
Old 15-05-2020, 04:58 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

pretty cool. your best to date.
Old 15-05-2020, 06:47 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Top shelf images Alex, congrats on a fine display of Ha. You should be a salesman Alex - I’m convinced but too chicken to give up my DSLR.
Well done

Anth
Old 15-05-2020, 07:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
pretty cool. your best to date.
Thank you for your encouragement Marc I really do appreciate it.
Alex
Old 15-05-2020, 08:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Top shelf images Alex, congrats on a fine display of Ha. You should be a salesman Alex - I’m convinced but too chicken to give up my DSLR.
Well done

Anth
Thank you much appreciated.
I was a salesman Residential Real Estate. I was often top in the company I worked for because I was into helping people get what they wanted...

Now if there was a sure fire way of improving your astro images you would probably want to make the sensible investment to deliver that reasonable expectation.

I can assure you a ZWO mono will deliver way past your expectations and produce simply better first rate images..you do want first rate images don't you..yes we all do..so just take the time to imagine being out in the fresh crisp night air looking at your first sub that looks better than any stacked DSLR image you have captured, the detail takes your breath away...you feel the tingle of excitement and a rush of extreme satisfaction overcomes you as you realise that this zwo cooled mono camera is perhaps the smartest purchase that you have ever made, and then your partner arrives with a cup of coffee and exclaims " did you do that or is that a Hubble screen saver"...You can't wait to stack images with this superb detail.
. You sip your coffee and enjoy the contentment of having achieved goals way beyond your expectations. I think the only thing to consider is do you want the 5 filters or 7 filter kit. I just hope you dont have to wait too long for delivery.
It's about time you did something for you..you are a good person and deserve it..I know it and if you were not not so modest you would admit to that...and remember you will not regret your investment on your death bed but I bet you will regret it if you don't go after the best equipment that you really need.
Alex