Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 13-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
First I congratulate you for keeping at it ... save yourself further heartbreak and go narrow band It will only cost a bass guitar or two

I still suggest you get photo shop and play with the dodge tool, the burn tool, the rubber tool and benefit from using layers.

It is Photo Shop after all and it enables you to build an image to Hubble level if you really decide to do that...but I will bet you can squeeze more out without "cheating"...one thing I will do using the layer function, say with your images here..is to layer two up and merge them in varying proportions and get something in between that is just a little better...then do copies of that adjust the copies differently and then merge them...until you go damn it no more
But the dodge tool used sparingly will bring out more nebulosity, the burn tool you can darken specifics for contrast without affecting the whole image..the rubber tool and layer..if you want a little more colour you create a solid colour layer put your image over it and using the rubber let a little colour in...that recent Dragon image I did, the last one was just a black and white HA and all colour as weird as it is was produced by layering over a solid colour and using the rubber to let a hint of colour into the main image... not entirely proper but it can be satisfying.

However take the time to look at what you have done...you have captured very good subs and I am sure with more of the same you will not find any difficulty nailing a superior image. You are already finding your way around Star Tools and realising being subtle is key and as anyone can see I still can not be subtle...you are doing extremely well so be very happy it took me years to get to where you find yourself..another month I expect you to be leaving us for the big boys section.
Alex
Thanks Alex, high praise indeed... I'm not necessarily quite as sure about moving to the big boys league any time soon...

Not planning to go narrowband; cost is not really the issue (well, it is but, it's not necessarily what would stop me); it's more about the amount of effort required to both capture & process.. I'm not sure that I am that committed to be honest.

I'm already in waaaay deeper than I ever planned....

Whilst I have obtained approval for photoshop, I've decided to pause on pulling that trigger. I have a book coming from the UK regarding Affinity Photo & astrophotography processing so, figured I'd wait & see what that has to offer.

To be honest, Affinity is from all I read, just as powerful & capable as PS.. alot of very experienced & knowledgeable folk are touting it as a serious competitor. I think the tools & processes you refer to are available in Affinity, I just need to get into some reference books I have & learned how to make better use of it. However, if after some time I still can't get my head around it, I will take the plunge on PS, not because I think it's necessarily better & not because I'm any more familiar with it (I'm not) but, simply because there are lots of experienced folk on here that can offer advice not available for Affinity as well as a wealth of Astrophotography tutorials involving PS on the internet... for Affinity, there are great tutorials for regular photo processing, not so much for astrophotography as yet...

Cheers
Old 13-05-2020, 12:35 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb44 View Post
Hi Carlton
I prefered the version of the 11th.
From that I would have tried upping the colour saturation, using curves on the red channel and increasing the contrast. Then the Multi point flattening for the background all in ImagesPlus. And a final high pass filter either in IP or in Photoshop2...
Can I get an original stacked version as a Tiff?

Cheers
GlennB
Yeah, I'm kinda with you too Glenn... I will keep playing with it... I have downloaded Image Plus but, haven't done anything with it yet...

What you have described above is exactly what I am trying to accomplish, I just don't quite seem to be getting there yet.. I will keep plugging away & throwing them up here for critique, the more people pick my work apart, the more I learn, the better I get at this...

Tiff should be on it's way...

Cheers
Old 13-05-2020, 12:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Yeah, I'm kinda with you too Glenn... I will keep playing with it... I have downloaded Image Plus but, haven't done anything with it yet...

What you have described above is exactly what I am trying to accomplish, I just don't quite seem to be getting there yet.. I will keep plugging away & throwing them up here for critique, the more people pick my work apart, the more I learn, the better I get at this...

Tiff should be on it's way...

Cheers

If you want the best of both worlds overlay your latest saturated version as a colour layer on top of your 11th version.
Old 13-05-2020, 01:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
If you want the best of both worlds overlay your latest saturated version as a colour layer on top of your 11th version.
I have Register which will combine images of different sizes so the other day I took my 15 or so final NGC 6188 images and combined the lot ..it was really something but a little blown out but along your lines I merged it with my "best" final and ended up with a very interesting result which I won't bother to post.
Alex
Old 13-05-2020, 01:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Thanks Alex, high praise indeed... I'm not necessarily quite as sure about moving to the big boys league any time soon...

Not planning to go narrowband; cost is not really the issue (well, it is but, it's not necessarily what would stop me); it's more about the amount of effort required to both capture & process.. I'm not sure that I am that committed to be honest.

I'm already in waaaay deeper than I ever planned....

Whilst I have obtained approval for photoshop, I've decided to pause on pulling that trigger. I have a book coming from the UK regarding Affinity Photo & astrophotography processing so, figured I'd wait & see what that has to offer.

To be honest, Affinity is from all I read, just as powerful & capable as PS.. alot of very experienced & knowledgeable folk are touting it as a serious competitor. I think the tools & processes you refer to are available in Affinity, I just need to get into some reference books I have & learned how to make better use of it. However, if after some time I still can't get my head around it, I will take the plunge on PS, not because I think it's necessarily better & not because I'm any more familiar with it (I'm not) but, simply because there are lots of experienced folk on here that can offer advice not available for Affinity as well as a wealth of Astrophotography tutorials involving PS on the internet... for Affinity, there are great tutorials for regular photo processing, not so much for astrophotography as yet...

Cheers
Carlton you can get enough data in narrow band over three nights and it only takes two days of processing.
You could also download Gimp..it's free..I have the new version on my desk top which I have not really used but it looks real good..the old version I find useful.
Do you mind if I have a go playing with your images here..if it's cloudy tonight I could have a play to see what I could do simply to give you an idea of what some little tricks could do.
If not I will understand.
Alex
Old 13-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Carlton you can get enough data in narrow band over three nights and it only takes two days of processing.
You could also download Gimp..it's free..I have the new version on my desk top which I have not really used but it looks real good..the old version I find useful.
Do you mind if I have a go playing with your images here..if it's cloudy tonight I could have a play to see what I could do simply to give you an idea of what some little tricks could do.
If not I will understand.
Alex
No problem at all Alex, go your hardest mate...
Old 13-05-2020, 02:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Thanks I will see what I can do.
Have a look at my last post in Fighting the Dragon thread with the black and white latest Ha data and tell me you don't want to go narrow band. The image still has problems ( the black blobs where I suspect one should be able to resolve filaments) but I find the difference over DSLR worth the investment of time and money.
Alex
Old 13-05-2020, 05:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Sorry the res was too small.
alex