Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Question How many people watch pay for view sport

I am not going to pay $750:00 to watch F1 Grand Prix on FoxTel,
Or any other sport
The Viewing audience for F1 has decreased by 50% since the rights have been sold to Fox.
What are your thoughts on Pay for view Sports.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33357440
Cheers
Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Let me go this far Ron - if we had to pay a television license like they do in the UK, our place wouldn't have a TV! We watch it that little.

I think I expressed my opinion of sports on Paul's Facebook post
Old 10-07-2015, 06:30 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I haven't used pay tv for a few years now and when I did it was for English language content more than anything.
If I need/want to watch anything then I will watch it online.

I wouldn't be adverse to paying for pay tv if it came to it though, it's more a matter of convenience.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Nope. Never have, never will. The day people started paying for it, the amount of footy on tv was always going to drop off.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

I think I'd pay some amount of money for a top class paid service, that is

- few or no adverts
- no repeats in say, one month's content
- high definition
- a good spread of genres, eg, docos, nature, drama, sport etc
and so on

The reasoning is that free-to-air content is, I think, 90% garbage and getting worse, so no use looking there for the future. Like the situation in the USA.

Internet streaming is the wild card when you crystal ball gaze it, and it has the potential to render both free-to-air as it is now, and also the current Foxtel model, both obsolete.

The big trouble is that the infrastructure is not up to it right now, as Netflix shows at the moment. I pay Optus cable broadband extra cash for a so-called "speed pack" and it is a stupid waste of money. I can rent a movie, but not stream it in peak time.

Maybe Facebook is all we need. I think I'll post a photo there of my navel.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2015, 07:25 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Used to have Foxtel (Previously Austar) but ditched it a few years back when I worked out that what was mainly being watched were kids shows that on the whole were on FTA TV anyway!

I have been an avid F! tragic for a couple of decades, combine the current rules and cars with Rupert snaffling half of the races, to offer them back to be for $750 a year and the result has been I have not watched a race all year. First year in 15 that I have not gone to the Aus GP too.

So NO, I would not pay to watch live sports on Foxtel. Come up with a streamed alternative at a reasonable price and I would consider it though.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:36 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Hadn't missed a Grand Prix since 1991, until this year.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 PM
CJ (Chris)

I have it. Mostly for the sports. Mostly the football. You know, that game played using mostly the foot and an actual ball. Premiership mostly but Champions league and FA cup too. Then there's Wimbledon right now, during the day. Tons of motorsport including the BTCC, Formula E, GP2, MotoGP2 and 3. The F1 coverage includes all the practice sessions and a fair bit of related chit chat with Brundell and co. And the actual race is ad free. As are both halves of the "soccer" Then there's also the Six Nations Rugby, golf, cricket and so on. If you like your world wide sport, it's a must. It's the ultimate in reality TV!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
I have it. Mostly for the sports. Mostly the football. You know, that game played using mostly the foot and an actual ball. Premiership mostly but Champions league and FA cup too. Then there's Wimbledon right now, during the day. Tons of motorsport including the BTCC, Formula E, GP2, MotoGP2 and 3. The F1 coverage includes all the practice sessions and a fair bit of related chit chat with Brundell and co. And the actual race is ad free. As are both halves of the "soccer" Then there's also the Six Nations Rugby, golf, cricket and so on. If you like your world wide sport, it's a must. It's the ultimate in reality TV!
Another deterrent is I don't want another antenna on my roof, I already have two
Cheers
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM
CJ (Chris)

No Alan Jones either Ron.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Ron, I agree with your sentiments for sure, not sure where you are getting the $750 from, it is $50/month and another $10 if you want HD. My problem is I am an F1 addicted old fart and since Ch10 got out of it I have been going through withdrawal symptoms. I opted to get it only for the F1, although I must admit I like the Football coverage as well. Since I had the cancer, I don't drink any more, (never smoked),so I reckon I would waste it on F1. I reckon drinkers and smokers would spend more than $15 a week on their addictions.
At least the F1 now has all practice sessions live as well as Qualifying and the race, plus all the crud that the poms have on their F1 channel, some interesting stuff there for F1 tragics.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:03 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Ron, I agree with your sentiments for sure, not sure where you are getting the $750 from, it is $50/month and another $10 if you want HD. My problem is I am an F1 addicted old fart and since Ch10 got out of it I have been going through withdrawal symptoms. I opted to get it only for the F1, although I must admit I like the Football coverage as well. Since I had the cancer, I don't drink any more, (never smoked),so I reckon I would waste it on F1. I reckon drinkers and smokers would spend more than $15 a week on their addictions.
At least the F1 now has all practice sessions live as well as Qualifying and the race, plus all the crud that the poms have on their F1 channel, some interesting stuff there for F1 tragics.
Peter, You obviously already have Foxtel.
The information re price came via the thread we had earlier this year when Foxtel took over the coverage.
Even your total comes to $600:00 a year,I don't know if the total includes other fees.
Ok Bernie makes more money but has reduced the amount of people watching F1
We are in danger of loosing the German and Italian grand Prix by the greed of Bernie and his company.
Those sterile stadiums tracks with very few people in the grandstands are killing F1 and the pricing out of people watching on TV will eventually be the demise of Bernie Ecclestone in the not too distant future.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

I fought it and fought it, but when F1 and V8SC went, I really felt I had no choice. They were pretty much the only things I watch on TV full stop! The coverage is excellent, but Murdoch can still go and **** himself, which I tell them everytime I do a customer engagement survey.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Hi Ron, yes I purchased it after CH10 lost it. Only for the F1, as I said $15/wk is not a lot. A drinker and smoker would probably spend 10x that amount. Trust me I hate Foxtel with a passion, but the coverage in HD is really damn nice compared to standard definition. All the extra stuff we did not get when Ch10 had it is good as well.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Neil

I've had Foxtel for 16 years, watch a lot of sport(NRL,V8's, F1, Tennis, Golf, ect)I find the coverage and HD far superior to FTA which I watch rarely, perhaps the local news and NRL that's not on Foxtel, clear skies.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:59 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
I fought it and fought it, but when F1 and V8SC went, I really felt I had no choice. They were pretty much the only things I watch on TV full stop! The coverage is excellent, but Murdoch can still go and **** himself, which I tell them everytime I do a customer engagement survey.
Haha,

Yes that is great fun. Vodafone got the same treatment when they made the error of asking me for feedback.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2015, 06:56 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
They wont give a monkey's whether your happy or not,as long as they get your money.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

It is a service, and they charge a fee.
What is the problem with that?
Do you pay a fee for your internet access?
If it provides something you want, (content, audio/video quality, convenience {like pause record and scheduling} then you decide if it is good value or not.
I use the internet a lot, but I get more "entertainment" from Foxtel per month for around the same fee.
Old 14-07-2015, 05:17 AM
ourkind (Carlos)
There is no substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
I am not going to pay $750:00 to watch F1 Grand Prix on FoxTel,
Or any other sport
The Viewing audience for F1 has decreased by 50% since the rights have been sold to Fox.
What are your thoughts on Pay for view Sports.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33357440
Cheers
Hey Ron I'm with you! There's no way I'm paying an extra cent to watch any sport, even as a die-hard F1 fan.

So here's an alternative Ron - I've been watching full races live via this site ... www.rojadirecta.me it works and it's a whole lot better than making those greedy rich b@#$ any richer!
Old 14-07-2015, 07:34 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
It is a service, and they charge a fee.
What is the problem with that?
Do you pay a fee for your internet access?
If it provides something you want, (content, audio/video quality, convenience {like pause record and scheduling} then you decide if it is good value or not.
I use the internet a lot, but I get more "entertainment" from Foxtel per month for around the same fee.
Totally agree. It's another service provided just like the internet. Same as a mobile phone!