Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM
gregbradley

That's true. Smaller pixels in 60D aren't they? I recently watching the Nikon D800 and 5d Mark iii debates on another forum it became clear downsizing a large mp image does give a sharpening and lowering of noise effect.

Smaller pixels are usually noisier (although Sony seems to have found a way to combat this) but have the advantage of downsizing to reduce noise. Not sure if that gets you ahead or back where you started though!

Greg.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Isn't it great for the hobby though that Canon has done this. Who would have thought. Things have moved on in CCD land a lot (functionality and price) since the 20a though. Be interesting to see how well they are accepted. Surely a limited run will sell, and Greg I'm sure you're correct about resale value.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I echo those sentiments Rob, I think it's great camera manufacturers are starting to hop back on board the astro market.
Although I do hope it won't be a limited run but I suspect you are probably right.
Even if I do think it's a little pricey.

Last edited by JB80; 03-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Na, don't need that! just get Martin to mod your new 5D Mk III with a rusty fork and a pen knife!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM
leinad (Dan)

So it looks no diff than stock; with an N3 adapter you get get on ebay for $5, AC adapter and their filter.
*TC-80N3 Cable Remote Control (sold separately)

Curious how this performs over a stock body modified with Baader or Astrodon filter?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
So it looks no diff than stock; with an N3 adapter you get get on ebay for $5, AC adapter and their filter.
*TC-80N3 Cable Remote Control (sold separately)

Curious how this performs over a stock body modified with Baader or Astrodon filter?
Performance is probably the same. With this one you get the Canon warranty.

I like the flip screen in the 60D, that's a huge help for astrophotography, I can frame, focus and see what I'm doing without breaking my back.

I think they made a crop body for astro because it helps increasing focal length and it prevents vignetting with the scopes. It makes a lot of sense.

The crop mode video mode is good for planetary/lunar work too.

I want one, but getting one in Argentina will be difficult! Will see...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 PM
gregbradley

The 20Da seemed to outperform regular modded cameras and also it worked as a daytime camera as well. It had a different firmware that seemed to reduce noise. I think there was something about the way the circuitry amplifiers cut in that reduced heat buildup in long exposures and reduced noise further. Like the amps were off until the exposure was complete compared to amp on as soon as shutter clicked in reg camera.

It also had a slightly different firmware.

It may also double as an excellent infrared camera.

I expect it to be a little bit better than what is generally expected here. The 20Da was the only DSLR camera that produced images approaching good dedicated CCD images.

Greg.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I think I might get one.

H
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM
AdamJL

This is great! Looking forward to reviews.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Star Hunter

I got my Canon 40D modified for $400. It has a full spectrum filter (FSF) which varies from UV to IR and well into 1100Nm. 657.3Nm is Ha and this FSF beats ANY new toy. But, for those who want to get into AP, go for it, but a cooled CCD beats a DSLR sensor anytime.

Last edited by Star Hunter; 04-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

At first I was excited by this news and while I think it's great Canon are doing this again and hope more follow I probably won't be rushing out to get one. I have little doubt it'd be a great camera but I'm not sure I can justify the price increase especially when I have other things to get this year.
Maybe I'll pluck up the courage to hack apart my 20D instead.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Things have come a long way since the 20Da in terms of sensor and high ISO characteristics.

Where you would be loathe to push past ISO-800 on the 40D, you can comfortably image at ISO-1600 on this newer camera, halving your exposure time.

In today's crappy weather, this is a windfall.

H
Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

This is true, I completely understand that.
I'm just trying to be a bit realistic for once more than my usual impulsive self.

Normally the 'want' factor prevails over the 'need' factor, truth is I'm not getting the best out of what I already have so until that changes then I'll pass for now. Who knows, in 6 months time things may be different.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Star Hunter

Just how much is this new toy anyway? Modifying one's existing DSLR might be a better option then spending on another camera. At least you will have more options to adjust the WB and IR becomes a cinch.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Not much. $1,500.

Doing a self-modification does not entitle you to high ISO performance, nor sensor improvement gains.

H
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Ive added this to my wishlist.

Cheers Petra d.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
gregbradley

I don't know much about the 60D and love to hear reviews from those using one.

I have 20D (modded) and non modded 40D which I love.

My main use for it would be time lapse or Milky Way mosaic type shots where some extra Ha performance would be handy over my main non modded DSLR which will be Nikon D800 soon which should also be very good for night time lapse with its superb low light high ISO low noise performance. But as good as that is getting Ha to make those Milky Way images more colourful isn't going to happen with a non modded DSLR.

Greg.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Star Hunter

For $1500 bucks is not expensive really. Though it may have some nice features over the 20Da, it will be interesting to see what reviews come out. The 20Da did not last too long on the shelf. Perhaps Canon has seen the light and produced a camera that will serve a niche in the market place. I hope it does. Now if I can only convince the missus she needs a 60Da DSLR......
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Been interesting reading the various comments here as well as various web sites announcing the beastie. The appeal to me would be the low noise / high ISO combo. I think the flip out screen is a good idea to save the neck when mounted on a scope and as an aid for focussing. I'd also be curious as to whether the video function could render it in the class of devices like the GSTAR , certainly seems to indicate that in some of the official blurb for the product.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 PM
leinad (Dan)

I already own the 60D, and if this camera offers refined firmware I'd be very interested to heard about it. But so far it only sounds like a filter modified alternative with the same bells and whistles. From 350D, 40D, to 60D all high ISO's have some form of noise banding that's unavoidable unless cooled or operating at low temps in dark conditions.
So far theres absolutely no definitive example of sensor improvement gains or improvements besides the hype. For similar price a 5d markII is available 2nd hand,and $500 more brand new, with much better ISO performance and noise control, not to mention better for low light conditions (see the Lovejoy images! and timelapses we've seen recently). For scope mounting, heck, if you want CCD Ha benefits a QHY9 is pretty much in the same ball park now.

My 5c. Sorry but I don't see what all the hype is all about, but very well may be proven wrong when the professional reviews surface.
Maybe I already own a CCD, 60D for terrestrial photos; and can't reason for this the mid point at that price.

Last edited by leinad; 04-04-2012 at 11:35 PM.