Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 21-12-2008, 02:45 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Rigel resolved in 450D at prime focus with Liveview

Tried to sneak in some imaging between clouds on Friday night. I've had success fine-tuning my focus on a bright star using Liveview, before then slewing back to the saved position of the faint fuzzy object of interest.

Happened to pick Rigel on Fri night, and blinked a couple of times when a companion was visible at 10x. Bit fuzzy, but clearly there. Hadn't realised Rigel was a double (triple actually I see when researching). Apparently not that difficult for an 8" scope to do.

This led me to wonder how much "magnification" was in use. I gather the term is a bit nebulous for a DSLR at prime focus, but assuming no cropping etc of images, found 43mm considered to be about 1x mag for a DSLR lens. My scope 1000mm FL, so mag about 23x, coming up to 230x with Liveview x10 in use.

I snapped a couple of frames to remind me to research the topic later, and as you'd expect without a webcam view is a bit blurred (2 sec exposure). The companion is at the 7 or 8 o'clock position in attached pic as a bulge on Rigel (still fuzzy but much clearer separation on the screen at the time).

Interesting sideline for me though - thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Rigel.JPG)
78.0 KB132 views
Old 29-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Yep can see the companion there ....great shot..cheers Kev.
Old 29-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Rob

Nice work! For a comparison, here is a link to a previous post showing some results with the 40D, including a view of Rigel in the x10 Zoom View Mode.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 29-12-2008, 08:36 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks guys.

Wow Dennis - some great pics there - makes my Rigel at shorter focal length pretty shabby. Still, we newbies need inspiration to keep getting better.

I thought I'd plumbed the depths of the IIS archives pretty well, but hadn't seen that one before.
Old 29-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Rob

I had a night of good seeing if I remember, and shooting at a focal length of 2160mm certainly helps in separating the fainter companion!

Cheers

Dennis