Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

SvBony Eyepieces

SvBony eyepiece set 68 deg for less than $40
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SVBONY-3...item2812e3be3e

I thought I read somewhere (SGL?) that these used plastic lens "Aspherical"
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-23m-aspheric/
but the blurb says "Fully multi-coated glasses for excellent image contrast and light transmission"......don't know.
Has anyone tried these??

Last edited by Merlin66; 12-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:52 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
SvBony eyepiece set 68 deg for less than $40
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SVBONY-3...item2812e3be3e

I thought I read somewhere (SGL?) that these used plastic lens "Aspherical"
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-23m-aspheric/
but the blurb says "Fully multi-coated glasses for excellent image contrast and light transmission"......don't know.
Has anyone tried these??
Seems incredibly cheap for what you get Ken..heard also the top lens is a special plastic ASPHERIC ..even Zeiss has used special plastic also in the past on some lenses..seems their saying over on Cloudynights the 23mm is good, 10mm best , 4mm useable...someone come forward please..nothing to be embarrassed by purchasing budget eyepieces..esp if your a student..let us know.

PS: SOME of the DUAL EDs from TS and Kokusai Kokhi turned out to be very good optically for about 100 each...so bargains are out there.
Cheers bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 13-02-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 13-02-2018, 06:27 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Looks like the same set here for $14.24...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-25-Wid....c100005.m1851

Can't lose too much at that price! (Although it says the seller is away until the 28th Feb...)

- Dean
Old 13-02-2018, 06:29 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

3 for $40 mmm , come on somebody has to take the plunge , you never know they might be like the Superviews , a hidden gem at the right price .

Buy them , test them , review them and give them away to a budding young astronomer .
Sounds good .

Brian.

edit , for $14.24 and looking at the last photo in Dean's link the 23mm at least looks suspiciously like a Kelner , not that there is anything wrong with Kelner's in an over f8 telescope .

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 13-02-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 13-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Dean,
I think that's the unit price...
The three eyepiece set works out even cheaper.
Old 13-02-2018, 09:06 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Dean,
I think that's the unit price...
The three eyepiece set works out even cheaper.
Yeah, thanks Ken: on looking at it again I think you are right. Still pretty amazing prices, including postage. If they were coming from the US they would probably want another $50 just for postage...

Brian: wouldn't a Kellner be more like 40-degree afov? They are advertising them as 62-degree... (But who believes advertising anyway?)

Certainly worth checking out if anyone has a spare $40 or so, or wants cheapies for public viewing so that sticky little fingers don't get all over your Ethos set.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:41 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
3 for $40 mmm , come on somebody has to take the plunge , you never know they might be like the Superviews , a hidden gem at the right price .

Buy them , test them , review them and give them away to a budding young astronomer .
Sounds good .

Brian.

edit , for $14.24 and looking at the last photo in Dean's link the 23mm at least looks suspiciously like a Kelner , not that there is anything wrong with Kelner's in an over f8 telescope .
Brian..
One of my sharpest ever eyepieces on axis ..a 12.5mm Unitron Kellner..as good as the KK Abbes...
NO one knock a good Kellner on axis!
bigjoe
Old 14-02-2018, 01:14 AM
StuTodd

I see they do a "metal and glass" 5x Barlow for $25 too. Just too good to not try. I'll buy a set of the 68 degree EPs and a Barlow.

Nothing to lose really, will donate to the local club too.
Old 14-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I have to confess, that I did buy a pair of the 23mm eyepieces in question. I guess about 6 months ago and they're not horrible to use. What I mainly got them for was to use in some home made finder scopes as they are cheap, lightweight and a decent field of view. Wan't expecting much so wasn't dissapointed, they do perform quite well though edge correction in shorter focal ratios does suffer.
As to ,at least some of the elements being "aspherical", read polycarbonate, doesn't seem to matter. As my optometrist pointed out, the lens of my reading glasses are polycarbonate and as long as they are figured and polished well , they are reasonable value for the money. For eyepieces that would be handy for public outreach nights, where you wouldn't want to use your premium gear, they would be great, better FOV than cheaper plossels and smudges, or worse from missplaced fingers etc. wouldn't cause anxiety attacks.
Old 14-02-2018, 12:39 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I have to confess, that I did buy a pair of the 23mm eyepieces in question. I guess about 6 months ago and they're not horrible to use. What I mainly got them for was to use in some home made finder scopes as they are cheap, lightweight and a decent field of view. Wan't expecting much so wasn't dissapointed, they do perform quite well though edge correction in shorter focal ratios does suffer.
As to ,at least some of the elements being "aspherical", read polycarbonate, doesn't seem to matter. As my optometrist pointed out, the lens of my reading glasses are polycarbonate and as long as they are figured and polished well , they are reasonable value for the money. For eyepieces that would be handy for public outreach nights, where you wouldn't want to use your premium gear, they would be great, better FOV than cheaper plossels and smudges, or worse from missplaced fingers etc. wouldn't cause anxiety attacks.
Jeff..

Heard Orion was actually using these rebranded for some of their Star Discovery Mak outfits ..more like 62° I hear now...and they work well at these long focal lengths.

I use my good TS EDs set for public ..neighbours Binos etc..and some are not far behind my Top shelf ones ..their clear, sharp over nearly all the field...esp below 15mm.

PS: One Dual ED survived an accidental dropping from a slightly drunk friend! Phew..there about 75 ..100 a pop still.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 14-02-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 14-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Awesome Stu , looking forward to a review ,
as you say nothing really lost if they are ?? well ....
, but probably better than some freebies you get with the cheaper scopes on the market as Joe said Orion use re-badged on some of their Maks so they probably going to be OK , as I said earlier in over f8 scopes .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post
I see they do a "metal and glass" 5x Barlow for $25 too. Just too good to not try. I'll buy a set of the 68 degree EPs and a Barlow.

Nothing to lose really, will donate to the local club too.
Old 15-02-2018, 06:38 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

i have them -there is a long thread on CN about how good the vite aspherics are [they hve several brand names], the 23mm is pretty good, as is the 10mm, i think the 4mm is the runt of the litter but they are great public eyepieces - for the price you can treat them as disposable
i don't think the barlow is in the same league quality wise
Old 16-02-2018, 12:43 AM
StuTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Awesome Stu, looking forward to a review, as you say nothing really lost if they are ?? : question: well...
, but probably better than some freebies you get with the cheaper scopes on the market as Joe said Orion use re-badged on some of their Maks so they probably going to be OK, as I said earlier in over f8 scopes.

Brian.
I see there are differing auctions up for these EP's. Gotta say that I have friends at the club who paid a lot for a 2" Nagler and it's horrid with the 18" dob.

I really think China has a lot to offer but you have got to be lucky. I know the old adage that "you get what you pay for" is less relevant today. It intrigues me that these lenses aren't plastic. China can produce the best stuff you want as long as you pay, but you will pay less than the standard companies offerings.

Old 16-02-2018, 07:30 PM
StuTodd

They're even cheaper from Ali Express!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SVBO...b07bbf01&tpp=1

Old 17-02-2018, 07:20 PM

Well I just spent an enjoyable couple of hours this afternoon going through the CN's Eyepieces fourums , over 550 posts covering 22 odd pages , whew !.

The overwhelming number of the posts speak very highly of these eyepieces , especially the 23 and 10mm ones , the 4mm seems to be a pot luck affair with some good and some plain terrible , so I would say what the consences's is , is that these are one of today's major bargains , . They seem to have originated from a cancelled Celestron order ( for whatever reason ? ) hence the orange colouring.

But be aware that the design of there ( not their build quality ) lends these to perform their best in f7 and above scopes .

Brian .

ps. go over and do a search in Cloudy Nights eyepieces forum's of ' Vite Aspherics ' and have a ball reading the views of many as I did .

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 17-02-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Yes I have used them just because of the price and must say not that bad internals are plastic but lenses are glass quite ok if you are on budget then they are ok , the 4mm was quite good which amazed me
Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanks for that Richard , the 4mm seems to be the poor relation
in this group but you seem to be enjoying it , do you have the others ?

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkonrad View Post
Yes I have used them just because of the price and must say not that bad internals are plastic but lenses are glass quite ok if you are on budget then they are ok , the 4mm was quite good which amazed me
Old 03-03-2018, 01:50 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

The 4 mm I found has reasonable eye relief for a shorty , I dont have them anymore as I do a lot of outreach and gave them away with a 130 BJ scope (sorry my first post should have read I used to have ) I did not enjoy the 10mm and from what I recall the other was a 25 which had a lot of edge view issues

Last edited by Rkonrad; 03-03-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:14 AM
StuTodd

Bought 2 sets off eBay for NZ$96 which is cheap.
One for myself and one set for N1.

We will compare through different scopes and share the findings!

Last edited by StuTodd; 11-03-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 17-03-2018, 02:05 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

I see that now they have a new range 68 AFV , did you get those they have a red band on?