Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2015, 10:55 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

Three moon shadows on Jupiter.

From; http://www.space.com/16149-night-sky.html

"Friday–Saturday, Jan. 23–24, 11:35 p.m.–03:00 a.m. EST. The shadows of Io, Europa, and Callisto will fall simultaneously on Jupiter; this is an extremely rare event, which will not occur again until 2032.
Credit: Starry Night software"

I assume EST in this case is in USA, if so, can any Icers help with optimum times for oz?

I have enjoyed the Galilean Dancers (between clouds and downpours) and would lurve to see this.

Oh, n i really doubt my 'new' (thanks Richard; IIS classifieds) 16" GSO dob is making it rain . . . . its juz that season up 'ere

thanks, Lindon
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I think it will afternoon here, so we won't be able to see it because it will be too bright. Actually, I don't think Jupiter will be up at all in the afternoon because it rises later.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Allan

Yes, unfortunately we miss out on this one.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:35 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

Thanks fellas.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:46 AM
doppler (Rick)

Oh, n i really doubt my 'new' (thanks Richard; IIS classifieds) 16" GSO dob is making it rain . . . . its juz that season up 'ere

Hi Lindon, nice upgrade . That is certainly a step up from the 8", bet you are getting some great views with it.

Cheers Rick
Old 13-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Ah, I saw that article too. And then I checked my Astronomy Australia 2015 book to see what of it would be available to us and nothing of it will be from what I can see, as others have said.

But! On the upside- this could be fun :

Jan 23rd
20.02 AEST / 18.02 WST
Occultation event of Io - the re-appearance from behind Jupiter.
The visibility is more suited for eastern Australia.
See page 113 of the book.

Lucky people in the northern hemisphere, I'm so jealous.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:59 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

cheers Rick, i'm impressed by the views - give ya a peak asap.

thanks Suzy, i gotta get da book!!
last night 9.25 - 9.30 i enjoyed one moon becoming two n then widely separating over the course of 3 hours so i assume the 'fast mover' was Io.
Old 14-01-2015, 10:06 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

during the night of 13th and until about 1.30 am 14th i watched Io approach J and saw it (between clouds) right onto the edge of J's disc. then a long cloud interruption (started to pack up) followed by good seeing. at 300x i could see the shadow about mid disc and after persisting got a minute of clear vision of the disc of Io in front of J closer to the edge of J's disc.
packed up hapi as, three firsts for me; #1, Io on Jupiter. #2, Q2 Lovejoy's large bright tail, #3 the horse head neb near orion's belt tho not the horse itself.
Old 20-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Suzy

Well done Lindon, it sounds like you had a fabulous night!

The Astronomy Australia 2015 book is available here through the IceInSpace shop. You will love the complete guide for the whole year of all these moon events. It's towards the back of the book.

Some people sketch the moons positions over the course of many nights and find it a thrill plotting their movements. I wouldn't mind giving this a go myself one day actually, sounds like fun.

I took a piccy from my point and shoot camera on a tripod on Jan. 15th and I was so excited to see Callisto snuggled up to Jupiter. None of the other 3 bright moons were visible at that time so I guess they must've been tucked behind the planet. I was pretty excited my little camera snapped it .

The only way I can still remember the moons names is "I eat green cheese"
Old 21-01-2015, 02:24 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Weather permitting I should be able to catch this, it'll be an early start then but it's also our(my wife and I) 6 year anniversary so I could always use the early hour to get a nice breakfast and coffee ready.
Two birds in one stone.

Was checking Stellarium earlier and the actual planet transits are a just going to make it on the planet but I assume it's the shadows that are really going to be the star of the show?

I got a nice double transit earlier and I'm guessing this will be my last shot at a triple for a while so I really hope the weather and seeing play ball, looking to be 50/50 at the moment.
Old 21-01-2015, 07:42 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

Thanks Suzy, n well done you too, that's a nice capture you got.

I make rough sketches in my journal as i check J over the course of the night and it is interesting to see mainly Io n Europa's progress even over a few hours. espec Io it zips along. the only way i feel confident of their ID because perspective messes with their apparent distances out from J.

appreciate green cheese - makes it easy, cheers L
Old 21-01-2015, 07:56 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

G day Jarrod,
congrats on the upcoming anniversary and the double, its pretty darned good you get to take the gear with you to Spain.
so good luck and clear skies n hopefully you get more than a 'that's nice dear' for one of the events at least.
i hope you can post a pic . . (of the moons pls!), L
Old 21-01-2015, 10:18 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Thank you Lindon!
Quote:
hopefully you get more than a 'that's nice dear' for one of the events at least.
Lol, Hope so. I think she'll be more impressed that I managed to get up that early on a Saturday.
Current forecast is clear but windy so I hope I can get something to share.
Old 23-01-2015, 07:53 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

i wouldn't have seen it anyway, 'cos the rain is pissistantly coming down here.
Old 24-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
I'm guessing this will be my last shot at a triple for a while so I really hope the weather and seeing play ball, looking to be 50/50 at the moment.
Hi Jarrod
How did you go?
Take any pics?

According to Bob King who writes for Sky & Telescope, apparently it's quite rare for a triple shadow event. Only happening one or twice in a decade on average.
Old 25-01-2015, 12:24 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Hi Suzy,

I was just about to post a first stack of my red channel. Not the best effort though as by the time the 3 shadows where there the sun was on the way up and seeing was rapidly deteriorating. It would of been slightly better at the start of the session but at least I can say I caught it.
Apparently the next one around this neck of the woods is in 32 years but I don't know if that means elsewhere may get one.

Any way, I'm a bit muddled on the exact positions of what is in this pic but there should be a bit.

The far left is a shadow, of which I am not certain if it is Io or not.
The second from the left is a bit smudgey but it should both a shadow(Callisto?) and Io(hard to make out)
Then on the right hand side there should be another shadow(Europa) and also Callisto.
Just off the disc and very faint is Europa.

It is quite an ensemble to be fair it's just a shame I didn't have the seeing or the aperture to do it justice.
I couldn't actually tell if anything was there looking on screen. Sorry it's a tad tiny but it wont stand up to any drizzle either.

Also added a rotated stellarium screen shot.

I'll see if I can bang a combined image up eventually, if it's not worse. :p
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (az.jpg)
16.8 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (post-33344-0-15595400-1422093748.jpg)
23.1 KB59 views

Last edited by JB80; 25-01-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 25-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Suzy

Jarrod, nicely captured! .
Thank you so much for sharing.

32 years till your next one? .... wow!
A few days ago we had a double shadow transit of Io & Europa. I didn't find out till very late that night when a friend of mine told me. It was visible across all of Australia. But it was wall to wall cloud here so I missed out .

So, errrr.... sorry Lindon, I would've given you the heads up if I had more notice.

When I first saw a shadow transit, it was quite by accident. I was observing Jupiter and this black speck of dirt I was seeing in my eyepiece was really bugging me . I couldn't wait to give it a good ol' clean.
Then the penny dropped.
I was experiencing my very first shadow transit, confirmed on my sky programme.
I embraced that "speck of dirt" and I could've smacked myself for thinking of how annoying it was .
Old 25-01-2015, 06:57 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

yes yes!! very well done Jarrod, congrats on a great capture and thank you for sharing.

would you please consider also posting it in 'solar system images'. i think it will create some interest and i reckon it would be good to have the likes of Quark (Trevor Barry) comment on it.

Suzy, i understand your excitement re that 'speck of dirt'. at this stage of my AA these moons intrigue and excite me; i think it must be because they are easily seen and tangible proof of the solar system's dynamics - just like they were for Galileo. no wurries re the double, i am out of action with a badly sprained ankle AND its full on wet season here.

you little bewdy Jarrod, let me go back n devour that pic, thanks again, Lindon.

oh P.S. congrats also on the anniversary, i hope it was nice dear

Last edited by geolindon; 25-01-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 25-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolindon View Post
Suzy, i understand your excitement re that 'speck of dirt'. at this stage of my AA these moons intrigue and excite me; i think it must be because they are easily seen and tangible proof of the solar system's dynamics - just like they were for Galileo. no wurries re the double, i am out of action with a badly sprained ankle AND its full on wet season here.
Hey that's nicely put, Lindon!
Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope you feel better soon.

And Jarrod, yes do please tell - I'm curious to know how your anniversary morning went - you were up very early after all .
I bet the brownie points have nicely accumulated .
Or did you go back to sleep?
Old 25-01-2015, 02:27 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

Jarrod,

from the stellarium shot it can be discerned that the actual distances of the respective moons from J are reflected in the apparent distances from each moon to its shadow. i.e. Io is the inner moon so is, and appears to be, closest to its shadow. Callisto (Suzy's cheese) is furthest out so is the most distant from its shadow. plus due to the bending ?refracting? of the sunlight over that greater distance it's shadow is fuzzy. just as you commented on in your pic!
the sun must be positioned behind the right shoulder as viewed in the photo, n i dunt even wanna try to work out that the sun must actually be behind your left shoulder as you looked through your 'scope ? ? ?

thanks again Jarrod, great vicarious fun.

thanks for the sympathy Suzy, i'll lap it up good timing tho 'cos a; its too wet, n b, i am a tennis nut n the oz open has been very enjoyable.

cheers Lindon