ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2015, 12:06 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Observation Request: NGC 3190, please

Hey guys, I'm posting this for a friend on another site who is trying to work out if he saw what he thinks he saw or if it's nothing.
He is mainly an observer and sketcher but the weather in Spain hasn't been up to making a second observation for him and nor has it been good in Europe.

Basically according to his sketch there is/was a bright star near the stellar core that doesn't correspond to previous observations so he doesn't know if a mistake has been made in tracking or it's something else.

This was observed on the 15th of this month and I believe it is visible in the Australian sky. If it's not visible then this will look a silly post.

Anyway the target is NGC 3190 and it would be great if someone can take a look. and report back so I can pass it on.

There is a report in here with a sketch http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/23...more-galaxies/
and if anyone want to contact Rob I can pass on some details or he is easily found on SGL if you are a member.

I know he would be more than grateful for someone to take a look if possible.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
Old 17-02-2015, 01:24 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Hi Jarrod, No observing here tonight cloudy.
NGC 3190 does have a bright star like nucleus in small telescopes and in moments of good seeing can sometimes be extra sharp
I have observed this galaxy a few times and it can cause one to take an extra look.
If clear tomorrow night will have a look for him.
Cheers
Old 17-02-2015, 01:31 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Thanks Ron for that, the weather is on the turn for the next week here so no observing for us either.
He did mention the bright core was visible too but just hasn't had the chance to check.
It could be nothing as well.
Old 17-02-2015, 01:41 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Just reread his sketch,the star to the left of the bright nucleus is a forground star,it is in the DSS image on my sky program plus a few images on Google.
Cheers
Old 17-02-2015, 01:53 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Having a look on some of the google images it appears back in 2002 ther was SN2002bo in NGC3190. http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/sn2002/sn2002bo.html
It of course wouldn't be that.

I have had a quick check and nothing else is showing up on stellarium although that is not the best.