Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
WadeH (Wade)
WadeH

Heads up for events correction! Venus, Saturn conjunction.

My apologies if I am wrong but I think that the date and times for the Venus, Saturn conjunction this week in the events calender are incorrect.

According to my Starrynight Pro 6 it should be August 13th (not 14th) and at approx. 17:45-18:00 AWST (depending on your horizon). Please adjust for AEST. At the time stated (03:00 AWST) neither the sun or Venus have risen.

The angular separations are: for the 13th, 23' 14".
for the 14th, 48' 40".

Hope I am correct or there is big egg on my face!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Yep your right checking my starry night you`ve got it right....cheers Kev.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Guys,

I've just checked the conjunction in CdC.

At 18:00 on the 13th the separation is 28' 16.8" and, yes, it is visible low in the sky.

At 05:00 on the 14th the separation is just 14' 21.1". So that's two sources that I have that say the conjunction is 05:00am on the 14th, but you are correct in saying that the moment of conjunction is not visible to us.

The evening of the 13th is probably our best opportunity to view this event close to the conjunction, but the actual time of conjunction is 05:00 on the 14th.

Al.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Michael V
Tinkerer

Hi All,
I'm in western sydney, and this evening (12 Aug) had a reasonable view of Venus and Saturn, in the same frame with a 32mm lens. That was roughly in the same place where the sun went down (imagine that!) Sorry for being a beginner.

But that was just moments before Venus descended between the two houses across the road. The Astro Book says that venus will be closer to saturn, and that mercury will also get in the picture.

So now i want a clearer view.

I thought of going on the roof car park of Castle Towers Shopping centre, except there are lights. Thinking - umbrella?

Does anyone know anywhere in western Sydney say a park in the Baulkham hills - Castle Hill - Glenhaven area where there is a good view to the west?

Michael
Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Heh spooky, was just playing around with CDC and 'discovered' the conjunction, came back here and it was the topmost thread in the 'New Posts'

For Perth I get 21'06 for Venus-set at 7:10pm on 13th
and 23'02 Venus-rise at 7:55am on 14th,
and closest at 1:05am of 13'15.7 though obviously not viewable
14'16 at 3am western or 5am eastern.
Old 14-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Michael V
Tinkerer

Hi All, Nice clear night in Sydney tonight. Yep, Saturn and Venus are in the same field of view with a 25mm lens, and Mercury was not that far away. Very cool.

For those in NW Sydney, i found Turkey's nest reserve, Beaumont Hills (Kellyville) off softwood avenue. This is somewhat elevated, has a very clear view to the blue mountains. Because there is a dam, there is an embankment that screen the street lights in the surrounding streets.

Michael