Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 25-10-2020, 08:17 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Ha meanz Heinze

H-alpha regions of the LMC...bagged while I was comparing my SonyIMX455 and KAF16803 based cameras.

Some colour would be nice...but it seems Noah's Ark needs more water

The link is here
Old 25-10-2020, 08:44 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Great one for comparing relative sizes there. I've been thinking about NGC2020, it's just a blip down there!

I love that you pump these images out while testing sensors! It's really impressive

Edit: can't believe this thing didn't win the contest to be called the running man nebula
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20201025-204448.jpg)
137.6 KB54 views
Old 26-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That's magnificent Peter! Even at 50% reduction it's chock full of sharp and interesting detail.

The Tak and the 16803 is a formidable combination.
Old 26-10-2020, 10:32 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That's magnificent Peter! Even at 50% reduction it's chock full of sharp and interesting detail.

The Tak and the 16803 is a formidable combination.
Ta M&T. The 16803 does undersample at this focal length. On good nights the stars are almost single pixels, but nebulosity certainly gets picked up very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Great one for comparing relative sizes there. I've been thinking about NGC2020, it's just a blip down there!

I love that you pump these images out while testing sensors! It's really impressive

Edit: can't believe this thing didn't win the contest to be called the running man nebula
Very kind...and yes "running man" seems very apt!
Old 26-10-2020, 12:41 PM
PeterM

This is a really stunning image Peter. Bravo!
Old 26-10-2020, 12:56 PM
vlazg (George)

Fantastic image Peter, I would love to image it but it is too low for up here and the wet season prohibits.. Jealous
Old 26-10-2020, 02:06 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's a massive very well corrected field on that FSQ. Do you have the standard focuser racked in to the max then some kind of PDF or microfocuser with a tilt mechanism between the camera and the scope? Any pic of the rig assembly?
Old 26-10-2020, 03:17 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

A fine image Peter and a wonderful vista! I must go back and shoot some LMC one day myself but there's too much else I CAN'T image right now with the perfectly cloudy skies we've been having down here of late.

Somewhat predictably though, I must protest that 7 arcsec/pixel leaves way too much to the imagination.
Old 26-10-2020, 06:27 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
A fine image Peter and a wonderful vista! I must go back and shoot some LMC one day myself but there's too much else I CAN'T image right now with the perfectly cloudy skies we've been having down here of late.

Somewhat predictably though, I must protest that 7 arcsec/pixel leaves way too much to the imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's a massive very well corrected field on that FSQ. Do you have the standard focuser racked in to the max then some kind of PDF or microfocuser with a tilt mechanism between the camera and the scope? Any pic of the rig assembly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Fantastic image Peter, I would love to image it but it is too low for up here and the wet season prohibits.. Jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
This is a really stunning image Peter. Bravo!
Thanks gentlemen, as Marc guessed, to hold the weight of a STX16803 and CFW, you need a better focuser. In this case it's a FLI Atlas. (sorry no piccy of the image train...a different camera is there just now)

I had a Precise Parts adapter made to convert the maze of Taka threads to an AP 2.7" which simplifies mounting the camera.

This image however was really just a test shot to make an Apples Vs Apples image comparison to the new CMOS camera.
The CMOS pixel sizes are mucho better for this FL....but at the moment, an underwater camera might be a more prudent choice