Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2018, 09:09 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Google Chrome Browser

I was getting a lot of hard drive activity lately all the time to the point I could hear the HD rattling all day and that was bugging me. It's been going on for a while now, over 6 months I'd say. I've only just figured out that it only happens when I have Google Chrome opened which I do all day because I'm accessing my local web server when I work. I checked the I/O stack in the process manager and read/write to the drive and it's through the roof. Some background scanning or monitoring activity is clearly going on while Chrome is open. There is a feature in the browser advanced settings at the bottom in the "Clean up computer" section that checks your system for malware (and reports to Google) that I always disable but it keeps coming back as soon as you close and start chrome.

I actually got aware of it when one of my legacy executable wasn't working anymore and I found its directory renamed with an underscore as if it had been arbitrarily quarantined.

No such thing with the latest Firefox or Epic which is using the same engine as chrome. I also have a hardware gate so I've ruled out any malware or any other processes and clearly pin pointed Chrome in the sys logs.

Have any of you experienced a similar behaviour. This is on a Win7 64bit machine.
Old 18-09-2018, 11:58 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

As we discussed on Sunday, I get the Malwarebytes issue - "Not compatible with Chrome" BS EVERY time I restart, and Chrome asks you to uninstall it. Nope, not going to happen, and like you, my HDD goes stupid at all hours, fan coming on etc etc.

I use Iron and FF much more frequently now. I don't trust Chrome any longer.
Old 18-09-2018, 12:11 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

There's only one solution to this, and it's not pretty.
Old 18-09-2018, 12:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Internet Explorer... (or whatever they rebadged it in a half a$$ed marketing ploy)

The Australian DRN (Defence Restricted Network) use IE and Outlook - that is telling you something good and bad
Old 18-09-2018, 12:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Epic is a good alternative.
Old 18-09-2018, 01:52 PM
DarkArts

l'm also looking to move away from Chrome. Currently, I segregate it so that at least it can't access my personal data.

I've traditionally used FF, but a few years ago, it couldn't handle the large number of bookmarks I store and it was getting slow. I've been looking for fixes, but in the meantime have used Chrome.

Oh, and here's another reason to ditch Chrome (and Facebook):

Apple, Firefox tools aim to thwart online tracking by Facebook and Google
Old 18-09-2018, 02:53 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I use Chromium a bit and it's not too bad. For some reason it seems nicer under Linux than 'doze. But under 'doze it handles some things, like the BoM Meteye, better then FF.