Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Graham Sanders (Graham Sanders)

OK IIS people what is this

Hi Folks, I am restoring an old scope circa 1915-30 maybe, can anyone identify the make or offer somewhere to go to find out who made it?
what I know, 105mm diam lens, 1450mm OT,possibly F/15, look forward to some feedback, cheers Graham

ps if anyone has an old mount and tripod that would suit this scope let me know, long bow however you never know unless you ask!!!

pps a couple more images that might help, EP with protective shutter

ppps More images of items that might help, nails from the scope container if it is the original container and the partial label, with some info:

TROUGHTON AND SIMMS
OPTICIANS
ANDMATHEMATICAL INSTRUMENT MAKERS
TO THE
HONOURABLE LORD OF ORDINANCE

the rest is gone unfortunatley,
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scope1.jpg)
89.4 KB150 views
Click for full-size image (scope3.jpg)
122.3 KB133 views
Click for full-size image (scope5.jpg)
133.2 KB137 views
Click for full-size image (scope6.jpg)
170.7 KB129 views
Click for full-size image (label.jpg)
208.8 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (nails from the scope box.jpg)
138.4 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (scope before restoration.jpg)
169.3 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (EPs n stuff.jpg)
158.3 KB77 views

Last edited by Graham Sanders; 09-03-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: more images and info
Old 08-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Wavytone

Grahame it’s nigh impossible to say without any identifying labelling or engraving. It looks like a Cooke, but theirs always had the name clearly engraved on the backplate supporting the eyepiece drawtube.

Another possibility is the objective lens, sometimes the makers name is pencilled or engraved on the side of one of the glass elements. The objective elements should also have alignment marks so that the elements can be reassembled correctly.

Any clues as to where it has been, the previous owner ?

Have you tried it optically ?

Last edited by Wavytone; 08-03-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Grahame it’s nigh impossible to say without any identifying labelling or engraving. It looks like a Cooke, but theirs always had the name clearly engraved on the backplate supporting the eyepiece drawtube.

Any clues as to where it has been, the previous owner ?

Another aspect is that scopes of that vintage always had a matching set of eyepieces - including one for the finder, the matching mount and optionally tripod. Without these it’s value is nominal.
It came in a box with a label troughton and simms, not sure if it is the origonal box however? oh and I'm not interested in selling it, just a realy interesting piece!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Wavytone

Quite likely that’s the original box, if it was designed to hold the scope, Troughton & Simms was definitely in the business at that time.

Have you tried the people in AST ?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Kunama

I don't think it is a Cooke or Dollond. My guess would be that it is a Watson and Sons, Troughton&Simms, or Broadhurst-Clarkson. Both W&S and B-C have made scopes that did not have their name engraved.....

I think it may be as old as c1900....

I have a Berry&Mackay 3.25" which has a very similar objective cell but not the external collimation. Though marked as Berry&Mackay(Aberdeen) I believe mine was made by Watson and Sons for the B&M who made other instruments and were a telescope reseller....
Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Kunama

What thread is on the eyepieces, RAS??? I have a few brass eyepieces that do not fit mine....
Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM
gts055 (Mark)

Hii Graham, I do not know the maker of this telescope. It does have similarities to Broadhurst Clarkson of England and Watson also of England. These two makers were nearly identical in some models and I believe Broadhurst Clarkson supplied Watsons with tubes and focusers etc for some models. The peculiarity of your telescope is the mechanics of the collimation with those pairs of "L" brackets and the threaded adjusters that alter the separation of the brackets and thus the cell tilt.
I have a 1923 Watsons Astronomical catalogue and nothing resembles that method of cell collimation. I have two different 3" Broadhurst Clarkson telescopes and they also resemble Watsons. They are engraved with Broadhurst Clarkson and an address on the focuser.
Maybe try enquiring on the Yahoo group Antique Telescope Society "https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATS_Forum/info
It sure looks to be a magnificent telescope. All the best Mark
Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Kunama

I haven't seen that external collimation before but as Mark said, a magnificent telescope...

Have you taken the rack out to check, mine has some faint marking on the edge of the rack.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I think from its design it could be a Broadhurst Clackson ,British scope maker from London ,It would be a good place to start.....
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

What ever it is Graham, it looks quite beautiful

Mike
Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I haven't seen that external collimation before but as Mark said, a magnificent telescope...

Have you taken the rack out to check, mine has some faint marking on the edge of the rack.
I completely stripped the scope down to nuts and bolts, 30+ hours of sanding and polishing to get rid of the black and white paint, not to mention the scratches of which some were quite deep! The rack has not yet been polished, I was not sure it would be a good plan as the baffle inside would need to be removed and re-velveted, could create some tolerance issues however the rack seemed to be claen and no hint of ID branding..
Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
What thread is on the eyepieces, RAS??? I have a few brass eyepieces that do not fit mine....
I will check that and get back to you...
Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM

thanks for the go to's and comments

thanks for the comments, I'll hopefully find some concrete answers and solve the mystery, cheers Graham
Old 09-03-2018, 01:48 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Watching this with interest but can't add anything other than to say it's a beautiful piece of kit, and I also like the photo of the label for some reason - good pic in its own right.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Kunama

Graham,
the Honourable Board of Ordnance was disbanded in 1855 and if that box is the original for that scope then the scope should also date from the first half of the 19th century.

The scope has many similarities to Troughton & Simms instruments of the time. The eyepiece shutter and some of the knurling as well as the screws used.

This book might reveal all: https://www.abebooks.com/first-editi.../1372857790/bd
Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Graham,
I have an old mount made by Thomas Gaunt circa 1876, as best I can find out.
Kunama..one of a few Matt’s bought it from Lars Hansen and stripped it back to Brass and black iron. Lars bought it form Cris Ellis who bought it from an old bloke in Ballarat who had had it for decades.

I bought it up to the 1950’s with a slip clutch and tangent arm, both controlled by a Losmandy/ Celestron 492 drive system and stepper motors.

I’m not really interested in selling it but your scope is made for it...
Here is a photo with my 90x1000mm achro on it. Only weighs 160kgs as pictured.
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_11Jan2018at90734am.jpg)
93.6 KB48 views
Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
It looks like a Cooke, but theirs always had the name clearly engraved on the backplate supporting the eyepiece drawtube.
Wow - were Cooke telescopes considered to be good? I ask because if it's the same Cooke I'm thinking of, they make some legendary (and very $$$) lenses for cinema cameras. I wonder if their prowess continued across to other fields...
Old 09-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Wavytone

The Cooke refractor I’m familiar with was very much ok, having used it many times. A beautiful thing with fine optics. As I recall it, despite being a 4.25” doublet at f/16 the residual colour errors were not objectionable - unlike some modern achro refractors.

That’s only a sample of 1.

The other refractor I used a lot was the Oddie at Mt Stromlo but that was not an amateur scope. Compared to say my Santel MK91, the Santel is optically better than the Oddie was.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 AM
leon

I agree, that is lovely looking instrument, regardless of make or model.

Leon
Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

+1 for the ATS forum.
They have lots of experience identifying old scopes.
You should definitely make contact with them.

I reconditioned a 4" Dancer telescope back in the 70's - a work of art.