Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
And Logan as I think we can learn from many folk around here...you can never have too many scopes.

You are probably familar with the concept of goal setting but let me refine it for you.
Decide what you want.
Set a realist time table and start saving...it does not matter when but if you set a time you can break it down into how much to set aside each week...
Then visualise enjoying your goal.
Put up some photos to help the visualisation.
The more specific you make you goal the better...and in the mean time enjoy what you have.
Your images are impressive so what you have to live with is not too bad.
The dew thing hits most of us in some way...the main reason I backed off was dew because I experienced a very wet period and it was unmanagable really.
But when the weather improved unfortunately I had to go to Sydney each month abd other things got in the way.

And a hint.
Success is seen by most folk as dollars...its not..it is how you enjoy what you have and avoid comparing yourself and your possesions with others.
Plan for the future but enjoy what you have today.
Alex
Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
My original offer from months ago stands

No change, no variation.
The esprit? huh?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

In 2005-ish this scope sold for $1600-$2300 USD and would be worth considerably more now and as replacing it....BUCKLEYS....KEEP IT.....
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
In 2005-ish this scope sold for $1600-$2300 USD and would be worth considerably more now and as replacing it....BUCKLEYS....KEEP IT.....
I'm not planning to sell it, but these scopes actually go for less now (1300-1800 aud)

Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
The esprit? huh?
No, the $$$
Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
This scope sold for $1500 Aud. As-new ones ex-Japan for $1000 US from Koji Matsumoto.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

If I were to sell id much rather wait for the scope to rise in price.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

The last one i have seen sold on Astromart was $1,700 usd in 2015 to my knowledge ,find me another for sale ? Makes no odds to me but do have a understanding of the buying and selling and worth of astro stuff and know that this one is special ,The build quality is exceptional and probably overbuilt , Stock focuser excellent ,collimate it well once and you will probably never have to do it again and visually behaves like an APO....

Quote:
I'm not planning to sell it, but these scopes actually go for less now (1300-1800 aud)

Old 02-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

After thinking about all this, I would sell the tak only to buy something that will age well eg another tak, not a gso newt that will be forgotten in 5 years.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:43 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
The last one i have seen sold on Astromart was $1,700 usd in 2015 to my knowledge ,find me another for sale ? Makes no odds to me but do have a understanding of the buying and selling and worth of astro stuff and know that this one is special ,The build quality is exceptional and probably overbuilt , Stock focuser excellent ,collimate it well once and you will probably never have to do it again and visually behaves like an APO....
Usually, yes, but sadly Logan's was altered by the seller, and requires a lot of work to fix. It was sold to the seller as-new for $1500 from an IIS member, came out the other end for resale by an infamous dealer a while later (after gathering dust and being kicked, dropped and propped against other scopes in the "showroom"/lounge room and being robbed of valuable parts and after-market bits added on), quite altered and abused for the same price.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:43 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
After thinking about all this, I would sell the tak only to buy something that will age well eg another tak, not a gso newt that will be forgotten in 5 years.
Very wise
Old 02-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Too bad tak fracs are so expensive!
Selling the mt would pay for 1/10th of an fsq!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Or, a whole fs-60!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Half way to a Mewlon 180...

https://www.astronomy-electronics-ce...prices_tak.htm

But for imaging, a Mewlon is not ideal.

Why not consider an Esprit 100 or 120? REALLY first class optics, and I think they are the first Chinese scope that holds their value.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Half way to a Mewlon 180...

https://www.astronomy-electronics-ce...prices_tak.htm

But for imaging, a Mewlon is not ideal.
Yeah.

Quote:
Why not consider an Esprit 100 or 120? REALLY first class optics, and I think they are the first Chinese scope that holds their value.
From your opinions on the scope in previous posts, i wouldn't be rushing to buy one...
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Think of a worthy project.
A time lapse of a suitable globular or something similar to the Crab nebular.

I would say $30,000 of scope, mount and camera maybe $40,000.

Then seek croud funding and if you do a video in support I bet you could pull it off.

Else...think of big amount in terms of savings required per week over say, I personally like five years, and start saving that very week.

No cash flow.

Think of ways.

When only six years old I would collect newspaper to sell to the butcher, horse hair and cow hair (from tails and main) and sell that to the saddle maker.

Since I have had leg problems I need labour for the simplest of things from lawn mowing to changing light bulbs.

There is a huge market providing labour to folk like me who cant do what they once did.

And something probably up your alley and something you cant imagine folk needing is computer help.

So I need to set up email...as many old folk will have to do even having resisted for ages...who do they call...one says to another...I know a nice young trustworthy man who does that..Logan.

You have on your side a great personality and an honest face...an honest face is a greatly underestimated asset as are so many of our personal qualities we take for granted.

Keep your word and you stand out so simple..be on time..so simple yet most fail here...if running late call and advise...manners and respect.

I bet you could build an enterprise around shopping for people.

Anyways if you go the croud funding path I say even now I will contribute something...it may not be much but Logan you are a impressive young man and you will find there are so many folk who will want to help you.

Consider the world as seen by most folk ... they look at the youth and they feel there is no hope ...and then along comes Logan who offers hope that there is hope for our youth.

Maybe sell prints of your photos door to door because remember so many sales are made because the purchaser wants to help the salesperson.

I would go to Bintel to help Micheal.

When in real estate I experienced that frequently ...so many folk would call me about other agents adds so I could get part of the commision on the sale.

I presented as decent caring and honest and folk really want to help that sort of person.

You are that sort of person.

Good luck.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 02-03-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:06 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Yeah.

From your opinions on the scope in previous posts, i wouldn't be rushing to buy one...
Optically...superb.

Mechanics need attention, but not awful as is. The 100 up dispense with that silly foot, so half the battle over. With work you can make the stock focuser really fine for imaging (backlash in the reduction gear is the main source of antagonism).

The Sharpstar 100Q is a good option. Buy direct from Sharpstar and save a good chunk over the local stealer (same problem child you got the 160 from) even after duty/gst.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Think of a worthy project.
A time lapse of a suitable globular or something similar to the Crab nebular.
I would say $30,000 of scope, mount and camera maybe $40,000.

Then seek croud funding and if you do a video in support I bet you could pull it off.

Else...think of big amount in terms of savings required per week over say, I personally like five years, and start saving that very week.

No cash flow.
Think of ways.
When only six years old I would collect newspaper to sell to the butcher, horse hair and cow hair (from tails and main) and sell that to the saddle maker.

Since I have had leg problems I need labour for the simplest of things from laen mowing to chsnging light bulbs.
There is a huge market providing labour to folk like me who cant do what they once did.
And something probably up your alley and something you cant imagine folk needing is computer help.
So I need to set up email...as many old folk will have to do even having resisted for ages...who do they call...one says to another...I know a nice young trustworthy man who does that..Logan.
You have on your side a great personality and an honest face...an honest face is a greatly underestimated asset as are so many of our personal qualities we take for granted.
I bet you could build an enterprise around shopping for people.

Anyways if you go the croud funding path I say even now I will contribute something...it may not be much but Logan you are a impressive young man and you will find there are so many folk who will want to help you.
Consider the world as seen by most folk ... they look at the youth and they feel there is no hope ...and then along comes Logan who offers hope that there is hope for our youth.

Maybe sell prints of your photos door to door because remember so many sales are made because the purchaser wants to help the salesperson.
When in real estate I experienced that frequently ...so many folk would call me about other agents adds so I could get part of the commision on the sale.
I presented as decent caring and honest and folk really want to help that sort of person.
You are that sort of person.

Good luck.
Alex
Wow. So much great advice in one post

Honestly, having an nice refractor and mount etc would be great, but really, I am happy with what i have now! What more could i want! After all i do have a perfect scope Not so perfect camera or mount, but the images are still enough to make me happy, and thats all that matters isnt it?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Zen!

Glad you came to that conclusion, and as I have said before to you and your Dad, I will gladly restore the scope gratis if ever you feel compelled.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am happy to hear you are happy with all you have.
Please try and think of what you would call my advice as encouragement.

The best advice will always come from your parents.

Maybe think going narrow band if you want the next step.

Add a removable fan to your scope.
Blue print your mount.
Good luck.
Alex