Old 21-01-2018, 09:01 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Is the ABC cheating ?

Just watched a news article about Logger Head turtles on Dirk Hartog Island of the coast of Western Australia. My favourite constellation "Orion" came into view, setting to the right of the screen, I am pretty sure that it was to the right of the centre of rotation. Then I got to thinking "how could this be so" given that it is a northern constellation. It was upside down so no not a bit of northern hemisphere stock footage.

Did anyone else see it? is my thinking right and did Aunty show it rising but in reverse?
Old 21-01-2018, 09:11 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

When it was upside down (i.e. Betelgeuse top left) and moved to the right and the horizon is in view on the bottom, then it is indeed taken from a NH location and not from WA. Or they meant WA is Washington State instead of Western Australia.

Australian Broadcasting Cheaters indeed.
Old 21-01-2018, 11:25 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Apologies ABC

just saw it again on the ABC website and it was ok, just goes to show seeing something in the background can be tricked. Nice article, sorry for jumping the gun.