Old 21-08-2017, 02:37 PM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
great image - looks like someone was doing m45 and the helix, maybe ngc55, maybe as m20 or m8 grab......ahhh i miss it i can see t he s-cargo tent with Allan Gould
I was hoping to meet you David. Maybe next year.

Here are some more shots taken on Saturday:

1. Milky Way over the visual field.
2. LMC and SMC over my 12" truss Dob in the visual field (with Paracorr and Ethos 21mm installed).
3. Milky Way over the imaging field. I believe that is Richard's Newtonian astrograph slewing around on his EQ6 in the foreground right of centre.
4. LMC and SMC over the imaging field.
5. Milky Way over Tony and Anne-Louise Surma-Hawes' most impressive set up in the imaging field (they were both so friendly).
6. Milky Way over another part of the imaging field.

I'm hoping to meet more people this weekend. I spent most of my time in the visual field so my apologies for not getting to meet more people in the imaging field.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (astrofest2.jpg)
200.0 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (astrofest3.jpg)
199.7 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (astrofest4.jpg)
200.4 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (astrofest5.jpg)
200.3 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (astrofest6.jpg)
200.3 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (astrofest7.jpg)
200.9 KB54 views
Old 27-08-2017, 05:39 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Just got back from the long drive from Astrofest. Great to catch up with everyone again. Weather was pretty good and lots of subs to be had as well as wine, cheese and crackers.
Old 27-08-2017, 06:18 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Just got back from the long drive from Astrofest.
I headed home after the Astrofeast lunch yesterday. It was great to catch up with you and the rest of the gang, Marc I hope Troy got good weather for the last, lonely night.
Old 27-08-2017, 10:08 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Had the best time at astrofest this year. Had a blast catching up with familiar faces and making new buds. Although I was surprised at the number of people that recognised me from previous astrofests. I was very quiet and kept to myself those past years. You guys have one heck of a memory!
Old 27-08-2017, 10:31 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Yep, great to catch up with everyone again. Thanks to the organisers, committee and staff at Duckadang.

Saturday night was cloudy again til around 9 I think. Some high level stuff still there and I was having trouble keeping eyes open so packed it in. Not sure if it cleared up but when I left this morning Nick still hadn't risen so assume he was up much later?

Was awesome to catch that ISS transit of moon. Got it on video, will post tomorrow.
Old 28-08-2017, 03:23 AM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Had the best time at astrofest this year. Had a blast catching up with familiar faces and making new buds. Although I was surprised at the number of people that recognised me from previous astrofests. I was very quiet and kept to myself those past years. You guys have one heck of a memory!
It was great to meet you Tony. This was my first Astrofest and it was absolutely thrilling to meet people as dedicated as you! I'm so sorry I only got around to checking out your equipment as you were packing up on the final day. There were just so many people to meet and so much equipment to see! I really enjoyed chatting with you on a number of occasions in the middle of the night over a coffee in the kitchen.

Hope to see you again next year!

Take care,
Doug
Old 28-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yep, thanks for another 'Fest! The last night was looking decent at midnight when I got up and only got better through the night...you guys missed another good night
Old 28-08-2017, 11:39 AM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Yep, great to catch up with everyone again.
Was awesome to catch that ISS transit of moon. Got it on video, will post tomorrow.
Quiet year but that transit was super cool.. usually I'm all alone in the dark catching these! Was great to be in a crowd cheering it on .. I didn't have my scope gear but got some great video of the evening and would love to compile some of the ISS lunar transits into a little video .. if anyone caught it on their gear at QLD astrofest and would like to be featured please email the photo/video to dylan@dnadigital.com.au

Thanks all!

d
Old 28-08-2017, 12:26 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_odonnell View Post
Quiet year but that transit was super cool.. usually I'm all alone in the dark catching these! Was great to be in a crowd cheering it on .. I didn't have my scope gear but got some great video of the evening and would love to compile some of the ISS lunar transits into a little video .. if anyone caught it on their gear at QLD astrofest and would like to be featured please email the photo/video to dylan@dnadigital.com.au

Thanks all!

d
I got a video with my 5DII and refractor but no idea how to process/edit it

Posted here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s....php?p=1331905

Last edited by troypiggo; 28-08-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 28-08-2017, 01:20 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsdj View Post
It was great to meet you Tony. This was my first Astrofest and it was absolutely thrilling to meet people as dedicated as you! I'm so sorry I only got around to checking out your equipment as you were packing up on the final day. There were just so many people to meet and so much equipment to see! I really enjoyed chatting with you on a number of occasions in the middle of the night over a coffee in the kitchen.

Hope to see you again next year!

Take care,
Doug
Those late night discussions is what astrofest is really about aha. Great to meet you too!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 PM
firstlight (Tony)
You can't have everything

Well, I have sort of recovered from Astrofest weekend, work all week,then Astrofest weekend, then work all week. I don't have as much data as I would like but the ISS transit of the Moon was certainly a special moment.

I had my first go at videoing the event and have learned some important lessons. I used a low ISO so the frames were too slow, BUT i did capture the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon_ISS_Tv115s_100iso_1056x704_20170826-18h29m50s-loop01_000001.jpg)
89.0 KB33 views
Old 06-09-2017, 01:06 PM
MichaelSW (Michael)

I have an oldish Panasonic Lumix compact that cost me $17.00 at local Vinnies store. Turned it on set to the standard video settings and held it to the eyepiece manually for A-Focal shooting. I looked up to watch the Transit live. So the video is a bit shaky.

It is a .m4v file. Link to Google Photos video is at

https://photos.app.goo.gl/arYMtmudZGKcL9u32

Never seen ISS Lunar Transit before. I cheered along with the rest of the crowd and was thrilled that the Lumix got what it did.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSW View Post
I have an oldish Panasonic Lumix compact that cost me $17.00 at local Vinnies store. Turned it on set to the standard video settings and held it to the eyepiece manually for A-Focal shooting. I looked up to watch the Transit live. So the video is a bit shaky.

Never seen ISS Lunar Transit before. I cheered along with the rest of the crowd and was thrilled that the Lumix got what it did.
Looks great.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 PM
firstlight (Tony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSW View Post

Great video Michael.

I finally got 'round to stacking all the frames of the transit. Because the exposure was so long the Station was blurred into a streak, but you can still make out the solar panels

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Stack_crossing_1_ISS.jpg)
107.5 KB27 views
Old 15-09-2017, 12:31 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

At the astrofeast Ken Wishaw was handing around light pollution letters/petitions for signing. I'm trying to get in touch with him regarding a recent upgrade to the Riverside Expressway street lights to LEDs, but not sure of his IIS member name (if he is one) or how to get a hold of him. Anyone here assist?
Old 17-09-2017, 12:59 PM
firstlight (Tony)

Hi Troy,

Has anyone replied about Ken?
Old 17-09-2017, 01:13 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
At the astrofeast Ken Wishaw was handing around light pollution letters/petitions for signing. I'm trying to get in touch with him regarding a recent upgrade to the Riverside Expressway street lights to LEDs, but not sure of his IIS member name (if he is one) or how to get a hold of him. Anyone here assist?
Might be worth contacting the BAS folks, Troy. They have been actively monitoring the BCC/Energex trial. I was walking home one night last week after a work dinner and saw a suspicious character with a tripod mounted camera in Brisbane St, St Lucia. It was one of the BAS people taking pics of the LED streetlights being tested there. I'll PM you a name...

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-09-2017, 09:01 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
Hi Troy,

Has anyone replied about Ken?
Thanks mate. Got your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Might be worth contacting the BAS folks, Troy. They have been actively monitoring the BCC/Energex trial. I was walking home one night last week after a work dinner and saw a suspicious character with a tripod mounted camera in Brisbane St, St Lucia. It was one of the BAS people taking pics of the LED streetlights being tested there. I'll PM you a name...

Cheers,
Rick.
Thanks mate. Appreciate it.