Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 17-05-2018, 07:43 AM
gregbradley

Advice in Laptops for image processing

I plan to get a new laptop for image processing.

I was wanting something with a high end display as that is a very important aspect.

I am looking at an HP Spectre with 15.6 inch 4K display latest i7 with 16gb RAM and 512 SSD.

Has anyone used these HP Spectres with the 4K display?

Do you think they would be suitable or is there another laptop that can match it I should be considering?

I have a powerful desktop which sped up image processing a lot. But the monitors (I have tried a few) are too hard on my eyes from the long time spent processing these images. Hence a laptop.

I am wondering if the 13 inch may be better from that viewpoint. But too small may be hard as well.

Greg.
Old 17-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

sounds like a decent specced machine
Old 17-05-2018, 08:17 AM
glend (Glen)

I had to stop editing on my laptop because of the screens available and my poor eyes. A separate screen is essential imho.
Old 17-05-2018, 09:34 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Do you really need the portability of a laptop for this task, since as Glen mentioned, you are likely to need a separate screen?
Old 17-05-2018, 11:02 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Not sure if display calibration is an issue with later laptops. I use a 15" but the colour is off compared to my tablet or 22" display. Does ambient lighting have anything to do with eye strain?
Old 17-05-2018, 01:10 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I've never been able to get laptop screens to give accurate colour even with a hardware calibrator. I have tried with a couple of high end Thinkpads and also a Dell XPS15.

Even if I could get accurate colour on a laptop I still find a desktop system with a good quality monitor far more comfortable to use. Maybe you just haven't tried the right screen yet, Greg?

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 18-05-2018, 03:01 PM
gregbradley

Thanks for the advice.

I will take one of my images and load it into the demo laptop and see what it looks like.

The 4K monitor on these laptops is pretty impressive so I guess that will tell.

My current laptop screen is hopelessly blue biased and throws colour off badly. My desktop screen is calibrated with a calibrator and is spot on.

So no one has used one of these computers directly?

Greg.
Old 21-05-2018, 12:25 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Why 4k? Most software on 4k has fonts so tiny they are unreadable and buttons so small they are hard to hit with the mouse and you're more likely to have worse eye strain as a result. Far better to get use a desktop with 1080 lines or little higher, maybe wide, with accurate colour calibration. Every flat screen display has only one "native resolution" where it performs best, regardless what other resolution windows offers you. Plus you need a good graphic chip to drive a good monitor. Plus ambient lighting will effect things as will seating position. If you're not using colour profiles properly the images won't look good on anyone elses screen ever, only yours to yourself. Common practice is to have a good desktop setup with comfortable screen real estate to work with and a separate "monitor" (the word monitor is not talking about computer screens or audio speakers but a high quality accurate/consistent output device to give an idea what a final output will be like to consumers). Don't have a "monitor" on the desk next to the computer screens this is nowhere near enough. Ideally you have a separate viewing area/room containing the monitor, this is where you put the 4k display (since you think its important in some way). 4k to work with is garbage and painful and why you think a laptop is a good solution I have no idea. Use a laptop for capture/control, and just that, no processing or games or anything else, isolate from internet too. Process from a suitable desktop. If you just want to show off you'll need at least three Alienware laptops then. Otherwise be sensible and use the right tools for the job.
Old 22-05-2018, 03:35 PM
gregbradley

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out the 4K monitor for size of fonts to see if that is an issue.

Greg.
Old 26-05-2018, 04:24 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Depending on how serious you are with processing your images I would advise against using a laptop screen or laptop all together. Better bang for buck with a desktop setup and a lot more upgrade options for later too. Also make sure to get a screen with an IPS panel. The last thing you want is to be editing images that constantly shift in colour when your viewing angles change. Also if you're set on 4k then I'd suggest at least a minimum screen size of 30 inches anything smaller is pointless for reasons explained in previous posts. Another thing to consider again depending on how serious you want to be with processing is getting yourself a hardware monitor calibrator. It'll take readings not only just from the screen but your environment too. This way you get a calibration that's tailored to your individual workspace. If you want to go next level then create a neutral room by painting the walls grey and use controlled lighting. Otherwise only process at night or keep your blinds closed and live like Dracula.
Old 26-05-2018, 08:56 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Depending on how serious you are with processing your images I would advise against using a laptop screen or laptop all together. Better bang for buck with a desktop setup and a lot more upgrade options for later too. Also make sure to get a screen with an IPS panel. The last thing you want is to be editing images that constantly shift in colour when your viewing angles change. Also if you're set on 4k then I'd suggest at least a minimum screen size of 30 inches anything smaller is pointless for reasons explained in previous posts. Another thing to consider again depending on how serious you want to be with processing is getting yourself a hardware monitor calibrator. It'll take readings not only just from the screen but your environment too. This way you get a calibration that's tailored to your individual workspace. If you want to go next level then create a neutral room by painting the walls grey and use controlled lighting. Otherwise only process at night or keep your blinds closed and live like Dracula.
Thanks for the advice. I am not set on 4K as needed thing more a less eye strain monitor with accurate colours. I calibrate my desktop monitor and I think its quite close.

Greg.