Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

IronCAD vs SolidWorks

Hi all,
I'm looking at switching to IronCAD for a new business. This will be replacing SolidWorks on the new systems. Just wondering if anyone here uses it on a day to day basis and does it stack up to SW? I've downloaded a trial and from the surface it looks the goods but you can only do so much in a 30 day trial period.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:20 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

No Sorry but i've been getting into AutoCAD's Fusion360 recently. Seems to be great for most CAD applications and free (but probably not for business use). It may not be suitable if you need archiectural. But I think its a damn powerful package and should work with existing data and of course other Autodesk products (they seem to be collecting good third party products like they are pokemon). Could be a good way to transition to an autodesk platform in the future too with standardised tools and features and integration a big plus if you need to exchange data with clients. Again depends on your CAD needs but worth alook though you have already.

Is there a specific reason you need to drop Solidworks, its been a good product for years. My work has been more with CG 3D not CAD but I've had many clients with CAD data they wanted animated /rendered for advertising and typically its from AutoCAD or Solidworks. With 3D printing I've been investigation CAD packages as my 3D ones are not suited for creating physicals and Fusion 360 seems to be the one that offers almost everything.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:30 PM
bojan
amateur

Fusion360 seems to be free only for students... and it is cloud-based.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 PM
astro744

Draftsight is another AutoCAD alternative but for 2D only. See https://www.3ds.com/products-service...-cad-software/

AutoCAD is of course the industry standard and unfortunately now available on subscription only. AutoCAD is to computer aided design as Photoshop is to photo editing.
Old 13-05-2018, 04:43 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks guys. I currently use Fusion 360 at home for personal stuff and love it. It's hands down my favourite but as an everyday business solution I'm not completely convinced yet. Although it's improving fast and is definitely where I see the future plus I'm really not a fan of Autodesk's subscription based business model.

I already have subscriptions to some of their other offerings so I'm trying to avoid adding another one to the list. DraftSight looks good but unfortunately both 2D and 3D capabilities are needed.

I may just have to bite the bullet with IronCAD.
Old 13-05-2018, 07:59 AM
bojan
amateur

Why does it have to be something new?
ACAD 2009or 2013 for example are quite good, I am sure you can obtain the legal copy second-hand.
Old 13-05-2018, 10:04 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Why does it have to be something new?
ACAD 2009or 2013 for example are quite good, I am sure you can obtain the legal copy second-hand.
It doesn't need to be new but a 3D modeller like SolidWorks is prefered. Hence why IronCAD was looked at as opposed to AutoCAD. Also there's a good chance that tech support may be required at some stage and I could be wrong but I don't think that AutoDesk supports that far back. Another thing is that the workstations will be custom builds with new hardware, running Windows 10 and therefore the CAD software needs to be compatible as well as run natively in 64bit e.t.c.