Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-05-2018, 10:29 PM
jman17

PHD2 guiding error

Hi,

I am trying to sort out PHD2 guiding for the first time and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to resolve the error message, 'Even using the maximum number of moves PHD2 can't properly correct for the large guide star movements in RA.' I did increase the max RA duration to the maximum but still kept getting this error message with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer. I read it is usually a cable snag or similar cause but am wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me resolve this? I had PHD2 set to 1 second to 5 second exposures with 3000ms calibration steps, RA aggressiveness of 90 (I tried this up to the maximum) and minimum move in pixels was 0.15. Any help trying to resolve this is much appreciated.

jman17
Old 25-05-2018, 10:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am at the same stage as you I suspect.
I would first try to get your mount tracking unguided.
I would not mind predicting you may find you need to adress the balance... if the stars are trailing badly adjust the counter weights so as to minimise star trails and then try PHD again.
Anyways perhaps I should not offer help as others may have something better to offer.
Good luck.
Alex
Old 26-05-2018, 05:45 AM
kens (Ken)

Please attach your guide log. Under the Help menu there is an option to open the log file folder. You'll need to zip up the guide log to attach it.
Most likely the mount is not responding to the guiding pulses.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:01 PM
jman17

First guided shots with PHD2

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the PHD2 problem. I managed to get it guiding properly for the first time and this time only got the warning message once. I increased the Max RA duration a little and didn't get it again. I managed to get some 400 second shots at 90mm focal length with guiding and got good stars. My shorter shots with less exposure length were trailing a bit so the guiding seemed to be working OK. Thanks for the advice on the balance too, I checked the balance again and it was OK.

jman17