Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-06-2017, 11:01 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

GST on O/Seas Purchases.

Don't know if anyone else heard this on Radio 2GB ( Ray Hadley ) the GST on imported goods under $1000.00 will not take affect now until 1st July 2018.

They have ' delayed ' it for another 12 months .....

That's a 12 month reprieve for anybody to purchase ' astro goodies ' from O/Seas .... anything for that matter under 1K.

Sounds good to me

Last edited by FlashDrive; 20-06-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 20-06-2017, 12:02 PM
casstony

Good news Col. I didn't need to rush that order for a bunch of bits and pieces after all. I suspect customs are inundated with packages this month

They're probably having trouble figuring out how to administer the new tax.
Old 20-06-2017, 12:09 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Hardly Normal is NOT impressed at all......
Old 20-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Great news, it will be interesting how that will affect things when Amazon come to Aus.
Old 20-06-2017, 02:09 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

So..so...I coulda waited another year for my Astro-Physics refractor?

Nah, no fun in that.
Old 20-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Nobody is buying < $1000 items overseas to save 10%. People are buying them overseas to pay a fraction of the local price. Or because they're unavailable locally.

Gerry Harvey doesn't seem to understand that and will be sorely disappointed when the expected boost to local sales in 2018 won't materialise.
Old 20-06-2017, 02:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Harvey/Joyce lost our patronage when they took 2 weeks to send a tech to diagnose our under warranty fridge. And then they claimed the tech didn't send report. One drop of ombudsman and they gave us instant store credit at local outlet and a refund for food spoilage and ice puchases.

I am sure they were waiting for us to drop it and just buy a new one. A-holes.
Old 21-06-2017, 02:12 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Gerry Harvey doesn't seem to understand that and will be sorely disappointed when the expected boost to local sales in 2018 won't materialise.
After listening to his screeching, brain-f*rt advertising for years... I ABSOLUTELY refuse to buy anything from his stores ... I'd rather pay double elsewhere, even if I have to import from Bulgaria!
Old 21-06-2017, 02:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I know the QLD advertising rep for NoChoice Mayne/Hardly Normal and I rebuked her for the pathetic advertising style - back when it was the bogan Aussie nasal shiat. She said they just prepare what they are told to, and apparently that stupid "Okka" spruik appeals to many of the less than educated. Nauseates me, and just makes me NOT buy there. Same as that National Tiles tool...man...seriously. You never forget him, but I don't want to buy from him either.

meh...I go elsewhere.
Old 21-06-2017, 02:54 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Same as that National Tiles tool...man...seriously. You never forget him, but I don't want to buy from him either.
That would have to be the ' most annoying ' Ad on Radio
... I either change stations, or turn the radio down/off.

Terrible .. just can't stand it.... just as bad as ' Silly Solly's '

Col..
Old 21-06-2017, 05:55 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
After listening to his screeching, brain-f*rt advertising for years... I ABSOLUTELY refuse to buy anything from his stores ... I'd rather pay double elsewhere, even if I have to import from Bulgaria!
I'm with you on that,I refuse point blank to buy anything from Hardly Normal
I'll do without rather than give them my business.
Cheers
Old 22-06-2017, 09:57 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Same as that National Tiles tool...man...seriously. You never forget him, but I don't want to buy from him either.
Adele "Hello" (featuring Frank Walker from National Tiles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDeQAAoYvS0
Old 22-06-2017, 11:13 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
G Harvey has the worst reputation in the industries his stores are associated with. And does a lot of damage personally to those industries too.

Customs wont have much headache when it come into place, you just wont get you deliveries until 6 months later. They're not doing anything to prepare for it. The worst hit are likely to be the courier services who really handle the imports, Fedex and the like and already many wont pick up a delivery unless they have a mobile number supplid to contact you regarding paying the duties etc.

As an Aussie our government makes me proud to buy Chinese!
Old 22-06-2017, 11:30 AM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

Quote:
Thing is Rom, you won't pay double elsewhere because I've found his stores inflate their ticket prices so when you talk them down on the price and think you've got a good deal, it ends up being what you would pay elsewhere without the haggle. That's why I don't even bother with them.
Old 22-06-2017, 02:50 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I caught Target out doing the same thing. Was interested to buy the kids some toys but held off until their sale. I had photographed the price ticket before the sale. Come sale time, said item was for sale with a before sale price of 12.5% inflation, meaning when you applied the "sale" 12.5% discount it was the exact same price as pre-sale. I showed my evidence to the manager who simply stated photography in the shop was not permitted. Incredible.

Never shopped in Target since.
Old 22-06-2017, 03:54 PM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

Quote:
I caught Target out doing the same thing. Was interested to buy the kids some toys but held off until their sale. I had photographed the price ticket before the sale. Come sale time, said item was for sale with a before sale price of 12.5% inflation, meaning when you applied the "sale" 12.5% discount it was the exact same price as pre-sale. I showed my evidence to the manager who simply stated photography in the shop was not permitted. Incredible.

I would have been shocked to get that sort of response. Isn't false pricing like that illegal?

[QUOTE=Steffen;1317468]Nobody is buying < $1000 items overseas to save 10%. People are buying them overseas to pay a fraction of the local price. Or because they're unavailable locally.

I for one own a car that only 115 were sold here so have to source most parts for it from the US. In the process of doing a mechanical rebuild so am please to hear I'll have another year to get all the parts I need without paying more.
Old 22-06-2017, 04:07 PM
rrussell1962

Quote:

The rules on sale pricing are distressingly weak in Australia and refer to the goods being on sale at a higher price for a reasonable period beforehand. You can go to the ACCC, but I suspect the store can afford a better lawyer. Their CEO has dinner with members of the Cabinet, you probably don't. Best approach - yours, don't shop there again and tell them why.
Old 22-06-2017, 04:09 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Agree.

I think the quick response of illegal photography was meant to signify that by me doing something "illegal" that they could get away with something similarly "illegal" and therefore my "proof" was nullified. The response was too quick and seemingly thought of prior.
Old 23-06-2017, 07:39 PM
sharpiel

Quote:

Far-canal. That response deserves a report to one of the trashy advertising driven current affairs shows...
Old 23-06-2017, 07:54 PM
raymo

Ebay don't seem to have heard the news; they are about to add
GST to vendors fees.
raymo