Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2017, 11:07 PM
PS19.1 (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Dunno why the states don't buy chinese power, we get everything else from China
Tongue in cheek of course
Funny you say that I think the Chinese have a considerable stake in our power industry.thanks Au$$ie politician$!
Old 20-06-2017, 07:24 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

I hear this morning that the Dept of Defence is now bringing its secure highly classified data storage back from a private company just bought into by a Chinese company.
Maybe worried about ethernet over power being used to send the data back home????

Andrew
Old 21-06-2017, 04:19 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I refuse to use my wood heater; in Launceston they used to give anybody who
bought a different form of heater $750 toward the new one. In many
places wood is more expensive than other forms of heating fuel anyway.
I HATE the smell of wood heaters, and also all the dust that gets on
every surface in the house.
raymo
Ours is all sealed up. Except for when we open it to put baked potatoes/pumpkin in it. I have about 5 tonnes of wood, all free.
Each to his own.
Old 21-06-2017, 04:28 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS19.1 View Post
Funny you say that I think the Chinese have a considerable stake in our power industry.thanks Au$$ie politician$!
Unless you are off grid, anyone that lives in Australia (ex WA & NT) uses Chinese owned electricity. They own/partly own various transmission and generation assets across the country.
Old 22-06-2017, 08:45 PM
PS19.1 (Greg)

If you haven't seen it worth watching 4 corners from a couple of weeks ago.Probably some of the finest and unbiased journalism I've seen for a while.Disturbing stuff and in fact sickening at times,makes you wonder whether many important policy decisions have been genuinely in our interests including our power.A lot of our mines are foreign owned,we watch our businesess close down due to costs or move overseas then export back.Why invade the old way? when a country can be manipulated from within! The lucky country seems asleep at the wheel.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:46 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

For some reason, we seem to think that we should copy the economic model of the third world, where a surging population, tourism and foreign owned mines are what drives your economy.
But we voted for the politicians that did this, so the person at fault can be easily found by looking in the mirror.
Old 25-06-2017, 02:44 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
But we voted for the politicians that did this, so the person at fault can be easily found by looking in the mirror.
Not necessarily true .... Politicians are good at ' spin ' when they want the ' public ' to believe they will do the ' right ' things ... so when they do gain power, they ' lie ' and back away from ' promises ' eg .. Julia Gillard... No Carbon Tax under my Government / John Howard ... there will be no GST while we are in Office ... privatizing public assets ....Power Pricing was supposed to add competition and make it cheaper ... another lie .... look at our dwindling gas supplies.... we pay more for gas than the countries we sell it to....

When questioned about issues, they ' beat around the bush ' and try to explain away things WITHOUT giving a direct answer to the Public

Their ' favourite ' at the moment is ' It's in the National Interest ' ... that's all they keep saying over and over ..... they will not say why nor give a direct proper answer. ....!!!

What is, " In the National Interest ' ..... define that please Mr Politician be honest and tell the Public instead of hiding behind retric ...... why are you so secretive .

If anyone who looks into a mirror and should take the blame it's the lieing , cheating , deceiving Politicians.

So when I look in the ' mirror ' ... I see a person who hoped for a better outcome for the Country ...... but got lied to by these highly over paid individuals who only want to put their ' snouts ' in the public purse and to remain in Power.

People have a long memory you know...!!

Col...

Last edited by FlashDrive; 25-06-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added text
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Just spent a fair portion of yesterday maintaining & sharpening the chainsaws Provides house heating and hot water, and cooking at times. I am lucky to have the access to the wood, but don't for a moment think its free when you consider the cost of running and maintaining the saws!