Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

PixInsight

With the weather turning for the worst, I figured that it's time to hide down the Hobbit hole and bury myself within the dark world of PixInsight. I have my little red light, my percolator has reached equilibrium and the lazyboy is perfectly polar aligned. All that's left is to find my target and capture as much data as possible.

So for those of you who have been there done that or are still there and doing that have any recommendations for a book that walks you through the whole package from start to finish? Perhaps a 'PixInsight Bible' (if such a thing exists?) that explains things in layman's terms and has lots of pretty pictures. I'll be starting from the ground up (or Hobbit hole up) so everything will be completely new and foreign to me.

I prefer a book/ebook as opposed to 'YouTube' vids as I find that with vids unless you know what to look for you can miss a lot of important processes that happen in between. It's also very hard to find vids that walk through an entire package in sequential order.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Update: I think I've found one. There's one in 'The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series' which looks very promising.

Last edited by LostInSp_ce; 02-05-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:28 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

There's a book by Warren Keller: http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319256801
Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I've never been happy with the PI documentation, book or Harry's vids for learning PI. You can pick up great bits from the forum, if you can recognise them. I'd suggest the light vortex tutorials which are well written with good screenshots so you can see what each substep is doing. At the bottom of that page are two Example tutorials which are really complete workflows from starting data to final image. I highly suggest you work through those with your own data so you understand what each step does and what settings are good for your data in particular. As with anything in PI adjustment basically depend on your data, so "use this starting value" suggestions dont work universally. but once you find them for your data you can reuse them or use them as starting points for future captures with the same gear.

The other light vortex tutorials work through from the top down and they work like that as a complete workflow too. Don't ignore any as the substeps themselves are valuable to understand even if the dont immediately apply to your current image. Take notes, for example reducing noise, boosting contrast, boosting faint signals can all be done in multiple ways in PI, and are often intermidiate steps in the LV tutorials rather than specic noise reduction, boost contrast, etc steps. The tutorials are long and detailed with good explanations, even pros and cons to differing methods for the same purpose. I've been reworking my PI workflow with pieces from LV to end up with improved images (using older data I already processed) and its made a huge difference and well worth the time and effort.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:37 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks guys. Rick that's the one I found and will most likely get. There's some other books in that series that I may have to investigate. Sil those videos are perfect. Just what I need to get me started. They'll no doubt keep me busy for a long time and probably make me pull my hair out.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 PM
netwolf

sil that is a fantastic link i was actually thinking if it would be possible to do Borders, annotation with Pixinsight and that site has a workflow exactly for that. Awesome. Thx.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:53 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

no problem, the LV tutorials are better than any book/dvd I've seen/got for PI. I like to plate solve my linear integration file and render an annotated stretch image jpg just as a reference for whats in the field of view of this data. helpful for later on if I want to combine data or go after other targets in that area. Plus with final images sometimes I like to do an annotated version too, just looks more interesting sometimes having those grid lines in place.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:04 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

lostinspace
the book by warren keller I have just brought myself got it from Bintel $40
called Inside Pixinsight looks good
AL
Old 05-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I have also just recently bought the Inside Pixinsight book, with a personal inscription from Warren. The book has very comprehensive info about data processing in PI, and I am really looking forward to reading it over the coming holidays.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Just an addition to the info about "Inside Pixinsight" - very informative and logically laid out.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwahl View Post
Just an addition to the info about "Inside Pixinsight" - very informative and logically laid out.
Yeah its basically just a manual, rarely find a need to refer to it myself. hasn't helped with techniques.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Jim Morse has a "Crib sheet" that he has compiled from PI Forum posts and other sources that has lots of useful info. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I'll send you the latest version and ask him to add you to his mailing list.

I think Warren's book is very useful for explaining how the basic processes and scripts work. Perhaps he's planning a sequel that delves more into high level workflow and advanced topics. I'll ask him

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Rick - I presume you still have my email address - could you do the same for me please? Always good to have more info.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Rick - I presume you still have my email address - could you do the same for me please? Always good to have more info.
Copy on the way, Chris. Also to the folks that have PMed me.