Old 20-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Heart of the Scorpion

Was glad to get the chance to try the telephoto lens at Rho Ophuichi last Sat.
This was taken at F5/155mm zoom with a combination of :

20x 1min ISO 3200 using Baader UV/IR filter
8x 2min ISO 4000 using Hutech V3 filter
(all with darks)
Modified Canon 60D/Neq6

The data capturing presented its own challenges as sighting through a viewfinder opposed to a finderscope on a telescope made things a little tricky, sticky taping the focus on the lens to prevent slipping and trialling a stubby holder as a dew cover for the lens seemed to work OK except vignetting crept in a bit.
Overall was pleased to get a result albeit noisy/grainy.(The ISO was cranked up under the average dark sky in outer NE Melb). Plenty of fun and will have another go at widefield again I'm sure when the winter sky is kind on the next new moon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JLHT1251resize.jpg)
158.3 KB74 views

Last edited by Anth10; 21-06-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: thumbnail resize
Old 21-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Was this shot from Briar Hill?
Sounds like some good DIY fix to some issues

The nebulosity is showing up nice, well done
Old 21-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Colin,
I took this out beyond Kangaroo Ground,
I'm having trouble uploading the image file because the resolution is too large(seems over saturated). Anyhow, I've attached a smaller version again to see if displays differently on the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FullSizeRender2 resize.jpg)
149.6 KB28 views
Old 21-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Anth10, that's a great take from that location, those filters obviously work well to bring out the colours in this region. Love the idea of a stubby holder as a substitute dew shield! Not the weather for drinking cold beer outside at night so I guess it's good to see it has other usages! What type of telephoto lens did you use? I know some of these zoom lenses move, especially when pointing up high where Antares is at the moment. You were smart enough to tape it to prevent this, well done. I'll have to give this region a go myself, you've inspired me to dig out my zoom lens.
Old 21-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Anth10, that's a great take from that location, those filters obviously work well to bring out the colours in this region. Love the idea of a stubby holder as a substitute dew shield! Not the weather for drinking cold beer outside at night so I guess it's good to see it has other usages! What type of telephoto lens did you use? I know some of these zoom lenses move, especially when pointing up high where Antares is at the moment. You were smart enough to tape it to prevent this, well done. I'll have to give this region a go myself, you've inspired me to dig out my zoom lens.
Haha, was a bit cool that night, funny enough the stubby holder now has a dual purpose! It hugs the lens acting as a dew cover while taking the chill out of the metal. Will have to take flats next time to remove vignetting though. I'm tipping another challenge in itself. But it did its job keeping the dew off the filters covering the lens.
I used a Canon EF 90-300mm F4.5-5.6. Its versatile for wide angle and close ups like this image. I found that the focuser slides under its own weight when pointing to the zenith, hence taping it to the lens body. Its a bit rough and ready but does the trick. I also had to remove an artifact that it produced (some reflection spot offset from the bright Antares), maybe a result of using filters in front of the lens perhaps?
I was keen to have a go at Rho after seeing an awesome post of this subject going back recently. Its a lovely area of the sky.
Good luck Mickoid.