Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2017, 03:44 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

New astro purchase!

Very pleased to announce our latest astro buy, hopefully we won't need another of these for quite awhile!

What is it? Well it's a lovely farm property in Tamleugh, Victoria. Extremely dark skies, no streetlights at all and nearest neighbours around a kilometre away.

We have visited there a few times and are really excited about the massive lifestyle change ahead. It's 80 acres, far from any, even slightly busy, roads, has power but no water connections, however it already has reasonable dam and water storage facilities.

Visited there one evening, the silence of the area was deafening. And the sky, well magnificent of course. Best I've ever seen I think, though I might be biased already!

Sadly we wont be going up to live at the house until early next year, due to various lead up issues. But there'll be a heap of driving on weekends once we settle late this yr and even before if we get permission- we have a heap of trees we can't wait to scatter throughout the place.

Plenty of time for planning our best use of the land and construction of a decent sized roll off roof astro shed. Hoping to have enough room for astro tourists, my main imager and another one dedicated to NEO searching. Maybe a couple of other piers for rent if interest exosts. So expect a few shed related questions along the way.

The pic with the house in the far distance is taken from the 'back fence
See 3 pics here
Old 19-06-2017, 03:48 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Congrats, Simon!
Old 19-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Congrats Simon!

I've got a place in Heathcote that I will hopefully build on later this year. Tamleugh looks like it'll be a little darker place than Heathcote being further from Melbourne.
Old 19-06-2017, 04:12 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Well done Simon,
Just googled the location, nice!
North of the Divide and remote (but accessible!)
Bo
Old 19-06-2017, 04:24 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Thanks folks. Yes it is nicely remote but accessible from the Hume.I found the sky much darker than I remember H being. There's light from Shepp in the lower north- western horizon but that's not really an issue. Will do proper SQM readings when i get the chance.

It's damned quiet, almost too silent at night! Hurt my ears at one point.
Old 19-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I am so..so envious.
Great stuff!!
Old 19-06-2017, 04:40 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Wow excellent Simon!

So you will be moving there permanently?

In the meantime, your own remote dark sky site to travel to, brilliant!!...well not.. as the case may be

Check for any nearby quarries

Mike
Old 19-06-2017, 04:46 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Nothin quite like being a country boy...!
Old 19-06-2017, 05:17 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Haha Bob, even I'm jealous of me! It's my dream to do this, and have always loved the peace of the country, so it's a perfect combo.

Mike, yes we are definitely moving there 'For good', to live there. All surrounding areas are farming zones. PHOTON FARMING included.

Rom, I have much to learn about being a country boy. But that'll be the fun part of it. A bloody big change. On that topic, anyone have a spare 600 metres of fencing wire handy?
Old 19-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Finite (John)

Wow, what an awesome purchase! Now you can start building chalets for visiting stargazers accommodation😛

Are you going to farm it yourself, or let neighbouring farms graze it? - They might even do the fence for you.
Old 19-06-2017, 07:11 PM
gregbradley

Congrats Simon. True dark skies make all the difference in astrophotography.
I image in both and the dark skies are always a step above.
Hopefully also country areas tend to be less cloudy.

Greg.
Old 19-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post

Plenty of time for planning our best use of the land and construction of a decent sized roll off roof astro shed. Hoping to have enough room for astro tourists, my main imager and another one dedicated to NEO searching. Maybe a couple of other piers for rent if interest exosts. So expect a few shed related questions along the way.
Congratulations on the new dream site.

So how long before you take bookings from a small army of IceInSpace visitors armed with telescopes.?....

We're all a bit jealous now...

Cheers,

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post

Rom, I have much to learn about being a country boy.
Being a country boy myself, the key skills to learn are how to chew a blade of grass and stare thoughtfully into space for lengthy periods..... You've already got the staring into space side of things nailed. Only the blade of grass chewing to master now...
Old 19-06-2017, 09:49 PM
niharika

Congratulations Simon 👍👍
Old 19-06-2017, 10:00 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Congrats on the new place.

What are your options for internet access? For me, besides the usual problems of not enough money, etc, I occasionally think about doing something like you are doing, but then I wonder how I'd cope without all the mod-cons.
Old 19-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Visionary (David)

Just the ticket!
Old 19-06-2017, 11:19 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Wow, I knew we were lucky but this reaction is bigger than I expected!

John- we plan to graze most of it ourselves eventually, but for now a neighbour is using the land for a few head of cattle on it for a fee. We need to research the most efficient use for the land. Prefer not to have cattle. I'm hoping sheep, llamas or bullants...

Chalets? Hmm we've started thinking of that. Will need planning approval and investment. B&B accommodation in our house doesn't need planning permit, so we will start with that. But you'll need to cope with my partner's amazing cooking!

Greg- Thanks, yes I'm noticing it is clearer up there but also bloody cold overnight. E.g. tonight is 6 overnight here in Hastings, 2 in Heathcote and -1 in Tamleugh!!

Will get back to the rest of ya tomorrow
Old 20-06-2017, 10:10 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

And Chris, gotta be patient, doubt we will move in until January, then we will be flat out for awhile I guess. I suppose camping can start straight away! Will be stocking the dam with yabbies and trout. Oh dear, now I'm busting to start...

Raki, thanks mate..

Chris, same here, I need my WiFi! We have confirmed we can get satellite internet from nbn and we also can get Adsl if needed. Mod-cons? All I'll need is my WiFi and a really good hammock under that huge verandah...
Old 26-06-2017, 11:21 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

And so the planning commences. Need to really plan the layout as all the other services like water, paths and electricity hinge on it. Would like the obs way in the middle but its likely to have sheep and kangas arount it and is a bloody long walk from the house!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FB_IMG_1498482475161.jpg)
86.5 KB62 views
Old 27-06-2017, 12:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Actually everything looks a ways from the house there...? I guess the noise of the animals will be lessened from the house?

I think the observatory is well placed there, out of glare shot of the house in case you need to have some lights on, parties, etc with the scope operating ...I also located my scope 120m from the house, not only for the comfort of knowing that Barb and Pete could have parties and well lit gatherings etc without annoying me but also so my aria's don't get heard when in full flight (ya canni sing opera quietly!)....I failed in the last bit though...they still hear me

Mike
Old 27-06-2017, 01:13 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

new astro

amazing!!