Old 22-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Simmo74

Starview 150eq. For Newbie ?

Hi Newbie here . I have the opportunity to buy a Starview 150eq second hand for $270 aud. Can anyone help me out with some info on this telescope? Would it be a good buy ? It is basically brand new . Unfortunately i cannot afford a Dobsonion. .. Thanks for any help. ...
Old 23-08-2017, 09:47 AM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Looks like a nice telescope and well priced. The mount is pretty small but has steel legs, which is good. I started out with something pretty similar (also from Australien Geographic) and still use the scope a lot.
The eyepiece position on EQ mounted Newtons can be annoying when you move around the sky as sometimes the eyepiece is up top or below the tube depending on where in the sky you look but that can be helped by rotating the tube in the tube rings.
For that money, I don't think you can go wrong but be sure to look into mirror before you buy. I once bought a Newton with a yellow tinted mirror but got it replaced because I bought new - you may not have luxury after you parted with your money.
Hope you have access to reasonably dark skies and if not, then you might want buy a light pollution filter.
I'll never forget the moment I first looked through my 6" Newton and realised that it wasn't a star I looked at... boom! Hooked for life
Oh, and be sure to familiarise yourself with the EQ mount, I almost killed mine on the first night when I thought the pol height screw was there to look at higher parts of the sky - the friendly folk at AG sent me a replacement screw once I mucked the first one up entirely....

Clear Skies!