Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Avoman1 (Darryl)

Software for beginner.

Hi all,
I have been away for sometime but back with time for this wonderful hobby. I am at the early stages of imaging and need your help. I plan on starting with nebular for the first imaging. Open to suggestions for my first target.
My question is which software to use.
1. Camera control/tethering (I use Nikon D700 and D800)

2. Is deep sky stacker the software to use prior to Lightroom(which I already have).

I have spent this rainy day researching these topics and I am now confused.
I use a Imac most of the time and have a much better grip on the mac as compared to a PC. I do own a windows laptop so I can be mobile with windows. I am thinking of using the laptop in the field for tethering and then stacking in DSS (as I don't think DSS works on a Mac) and then moving across to the Imac for lightroom processing. I would prefer to operate 100% from the Mac as I know it better and it is far more updated than the PC.

I am open to other programs such as PixInsight or Nebulosity ect but I can not confirm these work with my cameras or Mac.
This is a massive learning curve as stated in many a thread ....... so any help from those in the know is greatly appreciated. It will take months if not years to get some sort of grip on the astro imaging so I've got plenty of time for any help.
I am still in the early stages and at the moment perfecting the guiding of the imaging gear ....... but I may as well start learning the software path at the same time (on these rainy days/nights). Workflow is something you learn after many hours of use so hoping you can guide me.

many thanks.

Darryl

The gear I own
Cameras: Nikon D700 D800
Software: Lightroom 6
Computers: Imac i7 with 16gb ram 4gb graphics card.
PC Laptop Windows 7 with service pack 1, 4 core i5, 4gb ram
Scope: 80mm Espirt apo
Mount: Meade LX850 with AutostarII and starlock Guiding.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:41 PM
vlazg (George)

Hi Darryl, like you i prefer a MAC but most programmes are for PC. In the field i use Windows, i.e. SG pro, a great piece of software, PHD 2 for guiding, Sky X (which is also suitable for a Mac) and ASCOM to bring it all together.
For processing i use the Mac with Pix insight and Photoshop.I collect data to a portable hard disc, Fat 32.
If you are computer literate have a look at Indi and Kstars for Mac which would cover everything, i would like to use it but not all my equipment is supported at the moment.
George
Old 05-04-2017, 07:41 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Hey Darryl,

I can confirm that PI works with a Mac (I use a Mac too) as does Star Tool. Both are available on trial so go and grab a copy.

It's a pity BackyardEOS doesn't work on a Mac as it works with Nikon and is a great tool. Your lappy will run it though and again, it's on trial basis so go for it - it's a cool way to drive your Nikon (I use canon among other things).

PHD2 will guide your scope (on your lappy) but if you want to do sequencing then you can't go past Sequence Generator Pro - a bit overwhelming to start with but stick with it - makes AP soooo much easier.

Hope that helps.

Pete
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

+1 for SGP, PHD2 and PI.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Hi Darryl,

I know exactly where you're coming from I'm a noob too but maybe just a station or two further down the train line than where you're currently at. Some beginners start with using the on board self timer of their DSLRs or a remote shutter release with the aid of live view. However it seems like you want to go straight to the software side of things so I'll focus on that. My range of applications is quite small so I don't have a lot of history or experience to give any in depth comparisons but I'll do my best to help out.

Looking at what you have to work with you have the best of both worlds. Mac and PC gives you a lot of options. Like you I have both but due to the amount of software/drivers available for windows I decided to go this way (I'll probably move to Linux down the track but that's another thread ). One thing that you could do in regards to your best of both worlds scenario is to perhaps use the weaker machine (in your case the PC) to capture and then use the beefier one (Mac) to do the processing. You could then process previous night's imaging sessions whilst imaging new ones.

For capturing software as others have already mentioned your options would probably be something like DSLR Shutter (Win/Mac) BackyardNIKON (Win) and one you've already discovered Nebulosity (Win/Mac). I've never used them (I use APT which doesn't support Nikon cameras yet) but from what others say they seem to be good programs. I'm sure that someone else here can elaborate on them some more. There are others but I wouldn't really put them in the beginners category. Check the link below and scroll down to 'Image Acquisition Automation' for a list of alternatives.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/SOFTWARE.HTM

You've also mentioned DSS which I think is a good starting stacking option for a beginner. It's what I'm using and it didn't take long to get basic results, however mastering it which I've yet to do myself will take time. In my opinion I would hold off on PixInsight just for now. I see it as the 'Gold Standard' in image processing software and believe that it may be a bit overwhelming for beginners especially if they're trying to grasp another three or four programs at once. I plan to go down this road later myself but will wait until I actually know how to take quality subs first. Processing in PixInsight looks like another universe all together.

From one noob to another good luck.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:30 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

As a nikon DSLR astrophotographer I'd ask why you feel you need to connect your Nikons to a computer at all? PixInsight has no problem processing Nikon RAW files but doesnt have any camera control I can recall (I dont see the need anyway). But PI is a huge learning curve, I found most of the software on the market to be diificult to wrap my head around. Its a different way of working than regular digital photography and I don't think Photoshop or Lightroom are any use to astrophotography. I think you need to try all the free options you can, learn the new terminology and there are various workflows depending on how you record and what you shoot. Step 1 is get a handle on getting from camera to final image. The dedicated astrophoto processing software packages work in different ways and have their strengths and weaknesses. For myself PixInsight can do all the processing you need, IF you understand what you need and how to tackle it.. its not a beginners program but there are plenty of tutorials beginners can follow to end up with a good image from it. Over time you start to learn and understand its more powerful features and can reprocess the same data to reveal fainter structures, suppresss noise and end up with a vastly improved result. The more you dedicate to one package the better your results are likely to be and it seems you're dedicated to lightroom as its what you know. I was the same with Photoshop but quickly abandoned it as just not a suitable package to work in. I know some people here DO successfully use Lightroom and Photoshop. I would suggest looking at StarTools instead as a starting point. Lots of good tutorials and it has strong features for processing. Its Java based so will run on any platform and is very affordable.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Avoman1 (Darryl)

Thanks for all the input.
I will slowly digest all of the suggested software. It appears that pininsight is one to take extra notice of and sounds like I will spend some time working through this program and it will bring much joy in my future imaging.
Thanks again