Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 18-10-2017, 03:10 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Max Dome II on a Sirius dome

Sick of being a mule that has to rotate the dome all night while imaging...I am considering upgrading my Sirius 2.3m dome

I have a question, what do people use to control the slaving of their dome opening via Max Dome II so it follows their scope?

Is anyone using the Astro Electronic FSQ mount controller in their mix?

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 18-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 18-10-2017, 05:44 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I just use the ASCOM Dome controller - it hooks up with the dome plus scope and keeps them in sync. You can configure it for your setup and turn off sync if you want as well - that can be useful when doing a meridian flip as it can chase the scope during that time.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:15 AM
h0ughy (David)

You will be needing to purchase the hardware kit for the dome as well as the maxdome card and software. I used the ascom driver after unsuccessfully trying other proprietary software. Marcus was about help for me looking at the setup. Siruis has a new owner now so not sure how the kit availability is but I say you already have enquired?
Old 19-10-2017, 10:23 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I just use the ASCOM Dome controller - it hooks up with the dome plus scope and keeps them in sync. You can configure it for your setup and turn off sync if you want as well - that can be useful when doing a meridian flip as it can chase the scope during that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
You will be needing to purchase the hardware kit for the dome as well as the maxdome card and software. I used the ascom driver after unsuccessfully trying other proprietary software. Marcus was about help for me looking at the setup. Siruis has a new owner now so not sure how the kit availability is but I say you already have enquired?
Dave, I am thinking of completely upgrading to a new Sirius 2.3m observatory or a dome only option, with automated dome tracking.

Ok, so the hardware (board) supplied by Sirius, that interfaces with the dome motorisation, comes with a stand alone bit of software that can communicate with what ever Planetarium program (I use STAR Atlas pro) you are using to control your mount, is this correct?

Mike
Old 19-10-2017, 11:22 AM
h0ughy (David)

Mike it's just a question of retrofitted to your existing dome. Hammer drill screwdriver and some colourful language and you too can enjoy the experience of a lifetime. No biggie ��

Installing the kit was OK, getting it to work should be as well but I must have been holding the door for all the others who successfully got it to work. I bought automadome from software biscuit and bought a licensed version of the sky 6 and couldn't get the thing to work. So just gave it up and used ascom driver and the Gemini software for the Mount. Should work on with staratlaspro
Old 19-10-2017, 02:14 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Talk to Brett Soames - he builds a very nice ROR.

DT
Old 19-10-2017, 05:37 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Talk to Brett Soames - he builds a very nice ROR.

DT
ROR??? NEVER!!!!!!!! I'm a dome only man

Mike
Old 19-10-2017, 05:40 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Mike it's just a question of retrofitted to your existing dome. Hammer drill screwdriver and some colourful language and you too can enjoy the experience of a lifetime. No biggie ��

Installing the kit was OK, getting it to work should be as well but I must have been holding the door for all the others who successfully got it to work. I bought automadome from software biscuit and bought a licensed version of the sky 6 and couldn't get the thing to work. So just gave it up and used ascom driver and the Gemini software for the Mount. Should work on with staratlaspro
So I am still not too clear (ex strongman ), what exactly comes with the dome to enable automated rotation and how would I actually interface everything, if say, I was using STAR Atlas Pro to control my mount, any idea?

Mike
Old 19-10-2017, 06:37 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

That's what I sort of saying in my original post - so long as you get the kit to add to the dome (the hardware and control box), connect it to your PC, and have ASCOM drivers for your mount, the ASCOM dome control will do all the rest for you. Download it and fire it up to see what I mean. It's connection to the mount via ASCOM is "read only" and doesn't interefere with other applications.

Note that rotation is one part, you can get more stuff to open/close the shutters as well (I don't have the hardware bits for that).
Old 19-10-2017, 08:02 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

ASCOM has a utility called POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub). It connects to your telescope, dome and optionally, focuser. When you use your favourite program to control the telescope, you select POTH rather than the telescope itself and POTH will transfer those commands to the scope as well as automagically slewing the dome and keeping it in sync without you ever having to worry about it.

POTH has loads of other great features too, but that's for a later date

Takes a bit of setting up and getting used to, but once it's up and running, you will never look back!
Old 19-10-2017, 11:06 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
ROR??? NEVER!!!!!!!! I'm a dome only man

Mike
More room, less mechanical points of failure. 😉

DT
Old 20-10-2017, 10:14 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
More room, less mechanical points of failure. ��

DT
I was just kidding Dave ..roll offs are good too, particularly if you want to look at the sky with wider field shots. Having gone from fully exposed outside to fully protected inside a dome, with no noticeable detrimental effects except squishiness (I need to lose weight), I am completely sold on the full protection of a dome.

Mike
Old 20-10-2017, 10:15 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
That's what I sort of saying in my original post - so long as you get the kit to add to the dome (the hardware and control box), connect it to your PC, and have ASCOM drivers for your mount, the ASCOM dome control will do all the rest for you. Download it and fire it up to see what I mean. It's connection to the mount via ASCOM is "read only" and doesn't interefere with other applications.

Note that rotation is one part, you can get more stuff to open/close the shutters as well (I don't have the hardware bits for that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
ASCOM has a utility called POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub). It connects to your telescope, dome and optionally, focuser. When you use your favourite program to control the telescope, you select POTH rather than the telescope itself and POTH will transfer those commands to the scope as well as automagically slewing the dome and keeping it in sync without you ever having to worry about it.

POTH has loads of other great features too, but that's for a later date

Takes a bit of setting up and getting used to, but once it's up and running, you will never look back!
Thanks for the feedback guys, visited a few websites and I think I have a better understanding now. When the time comes I may need to pick some more brains though

Mike
Old 23-10-2017, 11:26 PM
allan gould

I use the Sirius dome kit with Max dome 2 to control my roof. Used to use ascom driver but there was a fault some where in the system which made tracking off so that you had to fiddle the parameters to get it to track well with the scope. In the end I found the SGPro would do it better and that's what I now use.
Old 24-10-2017, 01:29 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
I was just kidding Dave ..roll offs are good too, particularly if you want to look at the sky with wider field shots. Having gone from fully exposed outside to fully protected inside a dome, with no noticeable detrimental effects except squishiness (I need to lose weight), I am completely sold on the full protection of a dome.

Mike
But you can't put two piers in a dome

DT
Old 24-10-2017, 01:44 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Actually, you could, depending on the dome size. It would not be ideal though.
Old 24-10-2017, 04:57 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:

DT
true...but you can put two scopes on a mighty Tak NJP!
Old 27-10-2017, 05:43 PM
stefang (Stefan)

Exqeeze Me

Quote:
true...but you can put two scopes on a mighty Tak NJP!
Or 4 with SOPHIA, a 10Micron HPS 3000 baby!
sG
Old 27-10-2017, 11:38 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefang View Post
Or 4 with SOPHIA, a 10Micron HPS 3000 baby!
sG
True...I must concede defeat......I did feel like humping the NJP though, when it performed with a 100kg total load