ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Siaynoq (Zoltan)

Dobsonian primary mirror alignment

Hi All,

I've been part of the forum more than a year now, but I only managed to buy my first telescope - a 8" Dobsonian - last week. Happy times, however I was brave enough to buy it off Ebay.

Previous owner used the scope a couple of times and included a collimation eyepiece into the "pack", so naturally I tried to collimate the mirrors based on numerous instructions found on the internet (btw, I'm very puzzled when it comes to reading textual descriptions of doing something visual/hands on, so YouTube videos are pretty awesome!)

So when I thought I finished adjusting the secondary mirror, I moved "down" to the primary one... where I found 3 Philips screws (I think they are the lock/push screws). Then there are three "holes" beside the Philips ones, but Allen keys are not doing anything with them. It "feels" they are some sort of "nuts" (ridged inner surface) - I was suspecting the bolts were missing from them maybe? So I called the previous owner and he said he never-ever touched the primary mirror
I know most of the alignment has to be made on the secondary (I actually managed to reach a quite satisfactory state), but I would like to be able to adjust the primary too.

Anyone met this sort of "setup"? What kind of screw should I look for? Are they easy to buy (Bunnings)?

Let me know if you need pictures, but it's really nothing there to see, only small holes...

If someone is willing to give me a hand, I live near Whittlesea, VIC - happy to drive by for expert tips!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

pic might help of the bottom, i can prob drive past, maybe thurs arvo if youre home [pm me] it would be unusual for it to be missing all 3 collimation bolts