Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 23-03-2017, 10:04 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Cool Interstellar Origins - The Great Orion Nebula and The Running Man

Hi All,

Finished processing the 3rd image from my new observatory. Realised I had never done an actual image of the Orion Nebula, apart from a short IR exposure a couple of years ago, so here it is. Now, with this nebula under my belt, I may finally qualify as a real astrophotographer!

LRGB medium resolution
LRGB full resolution (20MB)
Luminance medium resolution

About the image:
This image is centered on the dusty clouds between the Orion Nebula (Messier 42) and the Running Man Nebula (Sharpless 279) and is a mosaic of two images taken on separate nights in February 2017
To the right is the bright Orion Nebula, the closest stellar factory to us, located some 1350 light-years away in the constellation Orion. Here new stars are born out of the dense clouds of gas and dust, and the youngest and brightest stars that we see now are only between 10,000 and a few hundred thousand years old. The nebula is illuminated primarily by the four bright young stars visible in the centre, which form a small cluster called the Trapezium. The radiation pressure from these young stars have sculpted a vast cavity with brightly coloured glowing walls that we see from Earth as the familiar shape of the Orion Nebula.
The nebula is also known as Messier 42 or NGC 1976 and is one of the brightest nebulae in the sky, easily visible just south of Orion's Belt using even the smallest binoculars. It is approximately 24 light years across and forms part of the much larger Orion Molecular Cloud Complex - a huge clump of very cold gas that has a total mass of about 2000 times that of the Sun. The gas from this cloud slowly collapses due to gravity and stars are formed. Whenever a bright new star is formed, its strong light evaporates the opaque gaseous surroundings it formed from, thus allowing us to see it. The Orion Molecular Cloud Complex extends far beyond the bounds of this image and includes many other famous objects such as Barnard's Loop, the Horsehead Nebula, the Flame Nebula, Messier 78, and NGC1999.
Left of the Orion Nebula, in this image, lies Sharpless 279 which is the northernmost part of the asterism known as Orion's Sword. It was discovered by William Herschel in 1786 and contains several NGC nebulae (NGC 1973, NGC 1975, and NGC 1977) as well as the open cluster NGC 1981. Within the nebulousity lies a bright reflection nebula popularly known as the Running Man Nebula.
The very colourful appearance of the entire area is due to a complex play of light and shadow throughout the intricate clouds of gas and dust, resulting in both a prominent red/pink hue from the emission of ionised hydrogen and fainter earth tones from the obscuring dust as well as blue reflected light from numerous bright young stars.
The youngest stars shine primarily in the infrared and many appear as golden red in this image, but only a minority of these youngest stars are visible in traditional optical light images. Infrared light penetrates the dust clouds better and allows for a peek deep into the heart of the nebula, revealing hundreds of bright young stars that are otherwise completely invisible.
The Orion Nebula is one of the most studied objects in the sky and also has a significant place in the history of astrophotography. In 1880 it was the first ever nebula to be photographed; Henry Draper used the newly invented dry plate process to acquire a 51-minute exposure of the nebula with an 11 inch telescope. Subsequently, in 1883, amateur astronomer Andrew Ainslie Common recorded several exposures up to 60 minutes long with a much larger 36-inch telescope, and showed for the first time that photography could reveal stars and details fainter than those visible to the human eye.

Image details:
Date: 21st, 22nd February 2017
Exposure: LRGB: 198:89:78:76 mins, total 7 hours 21 mins @ -25C
Telescope: Homebuilt 12.5" f/4 Serrurier Truss Newtonian
Camera: QSI 683wsg with Lodestar guider
Filters: Astrodon LRGB E-Series Gen 2
Taken from my observatory in Auckland, New Zealand

I highly recommend browsing the higher resolution images linked above, over the attached smaller versions.
Enjoy, comments welcome as always.

Regards,
Rolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42_Mosaic_LRGB_1600x1081_lowqual.jpg)
195.5 KB198 views
Click for full-size image (M42_Mosaic_LRGB_1600x1081_greyscale_lowqual.jpg)
198.5 KB89 views
Old 23-03-2017, 11:43 PM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Wow! Resolution, details and colours - stunning! Well done!
Old 24-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Another stunning image Rolf! Great processing and colour. I think you are much more than a real astrophotographer <vbg>

Cheers

Steve
Old 24-03-2017, 12:02 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Incredible Rolf, the detail and resolution that you have managed is truly spectacular
Old 24-03-2017, 09:06 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

That's a stunner, Rolf!
Old 24-03-2017, 12:25 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Amazing Rolf, hard to believe you didn't use any NB filters!

It's a very 3d image.

One suggestion, well on my phone anyway. Your image hosting only displays the image at too low a zoom or to high. Maybe try loading to a good hosting site like Flickr or Google, of course keeping a decent sized watermark? Or just pm me a link to a high res so I can cry over my PC keyboard.
Old 24-03-2017, 01:13 PM
JA

That's beautiful Rolf. Well done

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I notice that the image is a 2 x 1 mosaic, and I'm curious if the 7h exposure time is per panel or for both panels. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.

Best
JA
Old 24-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

M42 is hard to do well, due its massive variation in brightness.

But your effort here Rolf is a Tour de force....beautifully handled...one I am sure will be used as a gold standard for some time to come.

Nice one

Old 24-03-2017, 03:46 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

At the big full res, the noise, sharpening and processing is a little obvious , but still worth surfing around .....but at the medium resolution, sheesh!!!! it looks..?...well...?...bloody amazing Hubbelesque even...Ok, Ok Mike and Trish aaaalmost got some of these with their recent Chicken mosaic...buuuut I am compelled to give you some....

Great shot dude ..and welcome to the M42 real astrophotographer club

Mike
Old 24-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Gobsmacked
Old 24-03-2017, 08:41 PM
alpal

Nice pic Rolf,
I can see a Running Man & a left arm bowler in cricket to the right of him.
Never saw that before.

cheers
Allan
Old 24-03-2017, 09:13 PM
gregbradley

A stunningly detailed and terrific colour image. A bit of a shame about the field of view cropping out some of the nebula. That's the only thing that would make it perfect. Perhaps another panel or two next year to extend it?

Greg.
Old 25-03-2017, 01:45 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Well done Rolf. That's an amazing image. I especially like the central detail

Dave
Old 26-03-2017, 07:44 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Rolf, what exposure/s were your luminance subs ?

Thanks Dave
Old 29-03-2017, 08:52 PM
topheart

Wow!

Tim
Old 31-03-2017, 01:11 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza132 View Post
Wow! Resolution, details and colours - stunning! Well done!
Thank you Troy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Another stunning image Rolf! Great processing and colour. I think you are much more than a real astrophotographer <vbg>

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve, glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Incredible Rolf, the detail and resolution that you have managed is truly spectacular
Cheers Colin, yes I was happy with the resolution in M42 itself and then decided to do this mosaic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
That's a stunner, Rolf!
Thank you Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Amazing Rolf, hard to believe you didn't use any NB filters!

It's a very 3d image.

One suggestion, well on my phone anyway. Your image hosting only displays the image at too low a zoom or to high. Maybe try loading to a good hosting site like Flickr or Google, of course keeping a decent sized watermark? Or just pm me a link to a high res so I can cry over my PC keyboard.
Thank you Simon, the images on my site can be displayed in many different resolutions, from tiny to full original size. The links I posted are first a size that fills your screen and then another one which is the full res. If you want something in the middle, try this one: http://www.rolfolsenastrophotography...e/i-x9pMXc2/X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
That's beautiful Rolf. Well done

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I notice that the image is a 2 x 1 mosaic, and I'm curious if the 7h exposure time is per panel or for both panels. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.

Best
JA
Thanks JA, it is the combined exposure for both panels - so about 3.5h for each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
M42 is hard to do well, due its massive variation in brightness.

But your effort here Rolf is a Tour de force....beautifully handled...one I am sure will be used as a gold standard for some time to come.

Nice one

Thank you very much Peter, I'm glad you enjoyed the view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
At the big full res, the noise, sharpening and processing is a little obvious , but still worth surfing around .....but at the medium resolution, sheesh!!!! it looks..?...well...?...bloody amazing Hubbelesque even...Ok, Ok Mike and Trish aaaalmost got some of these with their recent Chicken mosaic...buuuut I am compelled to give you some....

Great shot dude ..and welcome to the M42 real astrophotographer club

Mike
Cheers mike At least I can say that one is under my belt now - and I've got the Horsehead too so am seriously in danger of becoming mainstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Gobsmacked
Thanks Nik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Nice pic Rolf,
I can see a Running Man & a left arm bowler in cricket to the right of him.
Never saw that before.

cheers
Allan
Thank you Allan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A stunningly detailed and terrific colour image. A bit of a shame about the field of view cropping out some of the nebula. That's the only thing that would make it perfect. Perhaps another panel or two next year to extend it?

Greg.
Thanks Greg, yeah a wider mosaic would surely be nice - let's see next year perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Well done Rolf. That's an amazing image. I especially like the central detail

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Rolf, what exposure/s were your luminance subs ?

Thanks Dave
Thank Dave, I was pretty happy with the detail
My luminance subs are 5mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Wow!

Tim
Thanks Tim!
Old 31-03-2017, 01:40 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

it definitely has the professional image feel to it! congrats again Rolf well done.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Fantastic image Rolf.
I noticed Phil Plait even featured it on his blog today: http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-31/stun...ext-and-detail
Old 02-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Paul Haese

Love the resolution of this image. Certainly better than my image of this target and its by a significant margin too. Colour is also very similar, which I think looks good. Only thing is the noise in the full res image which is a little distracting.

Nicely done Rolf.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

I am in awe mate. Totally.

Trevor