Old 20-04-2013, 11:16 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Smile Meade DSI II Colour - M83

Hi,
The weather in SEQLD has been very poor and frustrating of late but did manage to get a nice shot of NGC5236 M83 from Early this year during some rare clear skies. This image was taken with my Meade DSI II Colour CCD on a cheap 150mm Reflector f5. I was using my NE6Q pro Skywatch mount and a Starshoot Autoguider on a 70mm Celestron Refractor.
Shot is composed of 11 x B&W at 600sec and 4 x RGB at 900sec with a light pollution filter(experimenting with this and have had some excellent results). The RGB shots where from the DSI set to Colour which produces seperate LRGB frames, I only used the RGB frames for the shot. Aquisition was with Meade Envisage, Stacked and filtered (Decon & DDP) in MaximDL, Final processing was done in Photoshop with Colour combine, levels & curves, Shapened, and Highpass as mask.

Old 21-04-2013, 04:41 PM
dcalleja

I had a couple of DSI cameras. A Good piece of kit.
Well framed image (is it a crop?) - maybe a bit too much shapening but you've captured it well.
Old 21-04-2013, 08:35 PM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Thanks for the comments
No this is the full frame image, and I agree as being a bit overzealous with the shapening but I was impressed at my result.
The tutorials I purchased on the net on Image processing astro photos have been well worth the money...............
My DSI is customed cooled by ice water using 5mm clear hose threaded thru the heat sink fins and leading to a esky, powered by a 12v pump, works well for the warmer nights but I have to watch the dew point to avoid fogging of the lens, I also have placed a large CPU fan on the back as well instead of a Meade one, this helps control the temp a bit better when the camera nears the dew point and helps to keep it above the dew point temp.
I also have been getting some impressive results with the use of a light pollution filter (a Seben UHC filter) if the conditions are good and gives better contrast and I usualy don't have to use flat fields to calibrate the image, but I will take 900sec exposures instead of 600sec to make up for the loss of photon capture with the filter implace. The M83 shot was not not flat field calibrated but probaly should have done this to increase some of the features and contrast as well

Last edited by rodroger; 21-04-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23-04-2013, 07:22 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I have the same camera so I know how hard it is to capture this sort of image on, so well done. One thing though, there doesn't seem to be a red channel in the mix it looks very yellow/green on my ipad and it usually renders colour pretty well.
You might get a bit more feed back as well if you posted this in the astro photography/ deep space forum. This forum is more for astro photography equipment than images.

Cheers.