Old 26-09-2014, 06:06 PM
clive milne

FLI Camera question

I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone familiar with the previous generation of FLI cameras. I am trying to confirm the back focal distance of an FLI IMG6303e. I have contacted FLI directly and sent them the attached drawing, asking if it is correct. The one response I did receive was 'that looks about right, let me check with the engineering department and get back to you.... They didn't.... and all subsequent emails I have sent to FLI have been ignored, so I am still unsure.

I would be grateful if someone could help me on this,
regards,
clive.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/FLI6303E.jpg
Old 26-09-2014, 06:28 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Not here?

http://flicamera.com/adapters/index.html
Old 26-09-2014, 08:05 PM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Not that I could see Lewis.
Old 27-09-2014, 08:36 AM
gregbradley

When you say back focal distance do you mean how far inside is the CCD from the outside metal flange of the camera?

On my FLI cameras there is a little white painted line the indicates where the surface plane of the CCD is. For example the Proline its in the drawings on their site - from memory its about 21mm. The Microline is about 7mm less.

Greg.
Old 27-09-2014, 09:58 AM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
When you say back focal distance do you mean how far inside is the CCD from the outside metal flange of the camera?

On my FLI cameras there is a little white painted line the indicates where the surface plane of the CCD is. For example the Proline its in the drawings on their site - from memory its about 21mm. The Microline is about 7mm less.

Greg.
Hi Greg, my camera is the model previous to the proline and does not have the white line on the camera body. The number I am after is the optical back focus distance from the front of the flange. The person I corresponded with at FLI wasn't sure if the number stated in the user manual was from the ccd to the front of the camera body or to the front of the flange.

It reflects poorly on (FLI) that they either don't know or can't be bothered responding to multiple requests for what I would have thought would be a simple answer.
Old 27-09-2014, 07:40 PM
gregbradley

It would be the flange as the front of the camera is irrelevant to that measure as no adapter goes to the front of the body but stops at the flange.

I think they refer to it as the faceplate- see the measure for the Proline at 21.3mm :
http://www.flicamera.com/proline/index.html

You need this measure for an exact adapter? I am sure it would be safe to assume its "around" the 20mm band if there is a tolerance factor.

I can't comment on the poor service other than my experience with FLI has been great. Who knows perhaps that guy has gone on holidays. Greggory Terrance is usually very responsive. Also Richard Crisp (not a FLI employee) on the FLI Yahoo Group probably knows as he used to use one.

I've posted the question there and I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Greg.
Old 29-09-2014, 05:37 PM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I've posted the question there and I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, it is much appreciated.

Regards
Clive
Old 29-09-2014, 05:55 PM
gregbradley

The only answer I got was its in the drawings under support on the FLI website. I looked and couldn't see it but you mentioned you already had the drawings?

If the drawings state a distance I would take it to mean from the surface of the CCD to the faceplate of the camera where the camera attaches.

Is this for exact spacing for a reducer?

Greg.