Old 27-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Scopie (Brad)

New superglass

"On Thursday, researchers at MIT announced a breakthrough in glass-making technology, which basically involves a new way to create surface textures on glass to eliminate all of the drawbacks of glass, including unwanted reflections and glare. The research team wanted to build glass that could be adaptable to any environment: Their 'multifunctional' glass is not only crystal clear, but it also causes water droplets to bounce right off its surface, 'like tiny rubber balls.' The glass is self-cleaning, anti-reflective, and superhydrophobic. The invention has countless applications, including TV screens, as well as smartphone and tablet displays that benefit from the self-cleaning ability of the glass by resisting moisture and contamination by sweat."

- slashdot
Old 27-04-2012, 01:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

... thinking corrector plate
Old 27-04-2012, 05:53 PM
gregbradley

I wonder what its properties are like for lens making?

Greg.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:59 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hmmm ,,, I hope we find out more on this " Glass " it sound to good to be true ?
Brian.
Old 28-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Scopie (Brad)

I'd think it would potentially be good for eyepieces and perhaps the foremost piece of glass in a mak-cass, but beyond that they don't really say what its other properties are - thermal expansion etc. perhaps it would be good for a sealing coat over the aluminium mirror depending on if it sticks to aluminium?!

And of course refractors...
Old 28-04-2012, 07:05 PM
MikeyB (Michael)

It isn't a type of glass yet - it's a nano particle surface treatment that's applied to glass and then etched to produce a thin layer of microscopic cones all over the surface. The developers are hopeful that the same effect can be produced by drawing hot glass sheets through appropriately etched rollers.
Old 28-04-2012, 07:19 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

And SuperHydroPhobic means no more dew?
Bartman
Old 30-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
a thin layer of microscopic cones all over the surface
Reminds me of the surface of an anechoic acoustic chamber. It will look great when new, but won't last long as it's going to be almost impossible to clean:

a) any physical contact (wiping) will take the tops off the cones, permanently degrading the coating;

b) contaminants will end up stuck between the cones, especially sub-micron dust which will result in the surface looking 'grey' and impossible to clean.

Maybe ultrasonic cleaning will work, but I haven't seen an ultrasonic cleaning tank big enough for a refractor objective let alone a corrector plate !
Old 30-04-2012, 05:25 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

No good grinding a mirror from it then , no cones left ....
Old 30-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Dave2042 (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Reminds me of the surface of an anechoic acoustic chamber. It will look great when new, but won't last long as it's going to be almost impossible to clean:

a) any physical contact (wiping) will take the tops off the cones, permanently degrading the coating;

b) contaminants will end up stuck between the cones, especially sub-micron dust which will result in the surface looking 'grey' and impossible to clean.

Maybe ultrasonic cleaning will work, but I haven't seen an ultrasonic cleaning tank big enough for a refractor objective let alone a corrector plate !
Isn't it supposed to be self-cleaning? As I read it, you'd just douse it with water and it bounces right off, taking the dust with it?

And anyway, surely the next step is a dust of cleaning nano-bots.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:34 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I reckon oil will be difficult to remove - getting stuck in the holes and then attracting particulates