Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 AM
thegableguy (Chris)

Coma correctors - GSO vs Baader

Hi all

Everyone seems to agree that the Baader MPCC Mk III is the way to go for AP.

Because I'm strapped for funds, I was reading various reviews of the GSO. Looks like the worst thing about it is the total lack of documentation & instructions, but once it's set up properly it works okay.

Has anyone had a chance to try the GSO and the Baader side by side? If so, is one significantly better than the other? Worth paying more than double for?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 AM
glend (Glen)

Having had both i can offer this observation. The Baader is by far easier to use and setup than the GSO. The Baader, as it is well known, is designed to work at perfect distance to DSLR sensors (55mm). The GSO is heavier and requires spacing setup. I had bought the GSO first but sold it and bought the Baader MPCC. I still have the Baader and use it constantly for imaging. Is it worth the extra cost, imho yes, but for people more cost sensitive they might be willing to make the GSO work for them.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:22 AM
thegableguy (Chris)

Gotcha. Thanks for that. But once it's set up properly, the performance is similar...? Or is there a distinct image quality improvement to the Baader?

And though I understand it's fiddly and annoying, does the GSO come with the necessary spacers to achieve focus or is that another trip to Bintel to sort it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Having had both i can offer this observation. The Baader is by far easier to use and setup than the GSO. The Baader, as it is well known, is designed to work at perfect distance to DSLR sensors (55mm). The GSO is heavier and requires spacing setup.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 AM
glend (Glen)

No spacers provide with the GSO, other than the screw off extention which is required for visual use. The GSO might be easier for pure visual use, where you can just stick an EP in the top, but i wanted a CC for imaging and the Baader is better for that imho. You would need to setup the Baader for visual use but the directions are included.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM
thegableguy (Chris)

Hmmm.

Yeah I'm getting it for imaging, probably not a lot of observing - just occasional when I have evening visitors to the house who are less disinterested than my wife...

Sounding like I'll just have to bite the bullet and save for the Baader. I'm quite willing to work around things to save $200 but if it's gonna require trips to Bintel, extra outlay and endless mucking around, then it's probably going to annoy me more than it's worth.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

also if you are planning on using an off axis guider in the future (and a dslr - or similar camera that has a large sensor to adapter distance) then you might consider a coma corrector with extra setback distance such as the baader Rowe Coma Corrector (55mm vs 91.5mm) http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...-distance.html

makes it easier to fit things like filter wheels OAGs etc between camera and CC. perhaps a bit more of a future proofing option.

cheers
Old 01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Satchmo

Re the GSO Theres a massive thread on Cloudy Nights with plenty of solutions to get the correct spacing of around 82mm so if you are prepared to buy the necessary spacer then it represents great value at $150 to get a triplet corrector designed by Roger Cerglioni ( sp ) - optical designer at the Arizona Mirror lab . If money is no object then then the baader is certainly a great 'turn-key' solution
Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I suppose what you need to weight up is whether spending the bit extra on the Baader is going to be more cost effective than spending less on the GSO and then having to spend more getting correct spacings.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 PM
billdan (Bill)

I own a Baeder MPC plus OAG and the only problem I envisage is when I go to a mono camera with a filter wheel. The 55mm spacing then becomes a challenge to accommodate as I have about 12mm to play with, from the back of the OAG to the CCD.

Bill
Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Ah. Hadn't even considered how it would affect guiding. I was thinking a guidescope setup so probably doesn't matter.

But yes, imaging with DSLRs for the foreseeable future so will ask the guys at Bintel / Andrews how achievable the 82mm spacing is for the GSO. Thanks for the tips folks, much appreciated as always.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegableguy View Post
But yes, imaging with DSLRs for the foreseeable future so will ask the guys at Bintel / Andrews how achievable the 82mm spacing is for the GSO. Thanks for the tips folks, much appreciated as always.
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/46...ma%20corrector

Anecdotally as the the thread wears on people are finding that 80mm or more works better than the official 75mm and requires an 18mm to 25 mm spacer There is a mail order shop over there linked in the thread that sells a massive range of T2 spacing rings that will suit if you can't find one over here I am after a 25mm T48 spacer for optimally using the unit visually and using a little infocus .

Theyve been in production for years now - you would think they would have given the mechanical barrel length a bit of a tune up by now. Such a spacing error in the optics of an RC would be `fatal' .
Old 06-08-2016, 01:13 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Yep, should've just spent the extra on the Baader...

The problem for me, and I expect almost everyone who uses the GSO, is that the front of it has to actually be INSIDE the OTA to focus to infinity. Think I'm going to have to have two different focuser tubes, one for imaging and one for observing. It's lucky I've got a spare to butcher.

Add my voice to the many who say whoever is in charge of the design and documentation regarding this thing needs to be fired, and possibly taken out the back and beaten up a little. Apparently the optics are very good, but that's not a lot of friggin' use if you can't actually attach the thing to a camera and telescope, is it??? GRRRR.