Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14-04-2014, 07:52 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Weather permitting, I will be heading to Crackneck Lookout near Bateau Bay for this event.
As this was previously a popular spot for the Lunar Eclipse, I am hoping there will be plenty of others to join me there. (wishful)
Grouse spot Allen, I remember taking gurls up there at night when young and told them the area was thwarted with Sasquatches
Old 15-04-2014, 07:14 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Well, the forecast is still "Rain", but it is sunny right now and I am hoping they are wrong, so I have already prepared everything...
Old 15-04-2014, 07:15 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Appreciate your imput Joe and yes, late night and early morn condensation is often the case, there is also moisture still rampent in the atmoshere particularly in the low and mid levels, hence local cloud formation, coming from the south, also, anyones guess to where some sun will be shining to thin this out a bit ? Fortunately there is no onshore flow around tomoro,which would certainly add to the frustration. apart from that, this event is only early in the evening, temps should be mild with a bit of wind chill, so, some warm clothes may be on the gender
Ill be taking further asessment with your good advise of local conditions tomoro midday'ish to determine which location in my area may be best suited

Cheers again Joe & all the best, if your going out to watch/photo
Hi Bob,

Canberra looks like there is a chance it might be clear. Original plan was Lake George (east horizon from home is no good) but looking at Skippy Sky, it looks like your chances improve substantially if you spend that same 30 mins travel about (50km) south of the city. Skippy sky is predicting encroaching cloud during the eclipse from the north which is the southern edge of the big cloud mass that will possibly cruel Sydney and the central coast's chances.

If so, I will probably head out with girlfriend for a romantic twilight picnic and low key viewing and if I feel like setting up the mount, maybe a few snaps. I've been very ill for many weeks. Yesterday was my first day back at work. Still a bit weak and fatigued so I will need to take it easy for next few weeks.

There is an article on my web site about the eclipse with a slightly different approach to Mike Salway's excellent article.
My article : -
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PLANNIN...416/index.html

Mike's article :
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-753-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers & clear skies to all.

Joe
Old 15-04-2014, 07:35 AM
h0ughy (David)

things are not looking rosey for the coastal dwellers in NSW. We are forecast showers this afternoon. i will be finding a shelter of some description so can set up underneath just in case
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nsw_vis_201404142133.jpg)
113.8 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (secret-location-2.jpg)
182.8 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (a-secret-location1.jpg)
143.4 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (secretlocation3.jpg)
193.1 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2931.jpg)
192.6 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (secret-location-4.jpg)
84.7 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (weatherprospects.jpg)
193.6 KB24 views

Last edited by h0ughy; 15-04-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:07 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

The forecast just changed from "Rain" to "Heavy Rain"...
Old 15-04-2014, 09:21 AM
h0ughy (David)

looking at travelling for a few hours until i did the rounds with the predictions, Tamworth may be a chance for a glimpse, Canberra is a small chance but inbetween is dogy at best, as for coastal areas forget it its beat me this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nsw_vis_201404142333prospects.jpg)
134.4 KB31 views
Old 15-04-2014, 10:04 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I don't give it much of a chance of being seen over here. MetService cloud pic
I was going to get up on our little volcano in the back yard with the camera and tripod. First contact is at about 6pm and it all over by by about 9 pm so would be visible for much of the duration.
You never know, the clewd gods coulod be kind but I ain't optimistic
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cloudsNZ.gif)
122.9 KB22 views
Old 15-04-2014, 10:16 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

My only hope right now is that the Internet doesn't break down and that I can watch it live online...
Old 15-04-2014, 10:27 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Hi Bob,

Canberra looks like there is a chance it might be clear. Original plan was Lake George (east horizon from home is no good) but looking at Skippy Sky, it looks like your chances improve substantially if you spend that same 30 mins travel about (50km) south of the city. Skippy sky is predicting encroaching cloud during the eclipse from the north which is the southern edge of the big cloud mass that will possibly cruel Sydney and the central coast's chances.

If so, I will probably head out with girlfriend for a romantic twilight picnic and low key viewing and if I feel like setting up the mount, maybe a few snaps. I've been very ill for many weeks. Yesterday was my first day back at work. Still a bit weak and fatigued so I will need to take it easy for next few weeks.

There is an article on my web site about the eclipse with a slightly different approach to Mike Salway's excellent article.
My article : -
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PLANNIN...416/index.html

Mike's article :
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-753-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers & clear skies to all.

Joe
Nice articles Joe, and pretty much confirms my 1st & 2nd Posts about what to expect just on moonrise, very little until towards Totality's end , , ,

Weather is looking rather dissapointing here at the moment, lots of cloud and a shower or two about, particularly off the coast, double Grrrr ... Going to be a last minute decision to head somewhere, if not, take my chances at home, arrwell, always another eclipse to be had in the future
Canberra does look good tho and wiv the gurly, sounds like a win win to me
All the best...
Old 15-04-2014, 10:35 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Here are some Total Cloud scripts for 4pm
1st is of our favourite cousins in Taz
2nd of NSW
3rd QLD = better chances winning lotto for the most part
4th SE,QLD and bit of NE,NSW
Victoria covered between 1st & 2nd

Good luck QLD'ers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (10.JPG)
199.6 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (11.JPG)
198.3 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (12.jpg)
199.1 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (13.JPG)
193.4 KB20 views
Old 15-04-2014, 10:50 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Here are some Total Cloud scripts for 4pm
Thanks. What site are these from? It's new to me.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:05 PM
H31l0 (Michael)

I need to get out of sydney... what seems to be the general consensus about where the closest possible location to sydney with the best viewing is?... and i need to get there by 5:30pm (without breaking any road rules)

I'm thinking Goulburn might work -- But that's in accordance to the cloud cover for 4pm.. http://www.surf-forecast.com/maps/Australia/cloud/12

10pm: http://www.surf-forecast.com/maps/Australia/cloud/18.. I think it may be a gamble travelling out there...

opinions?

Last edited by H31l0; 15-04-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:34 PM
lodagoda (Khaled)

Melbourne viewing sites?

Any locations recommended in Victoria/Melbourne?
Cheers.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:39 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H31l0 View Post
I need to get out of sydney... what seems to be the general consensus about where the closest possible location to sydney with the best viewing is?... and i need to get there by 5:30pm (without breaking any road rules)

I'm thinking Goulburn might work -- But that's in accordance to the cloud cover for 4pm.. http://www.surf-forecast.com/maps/Australia/cloud/12

10pm: http://www.surf-forecast.com/maps/Australia/cloud/18.. I think it may be a gamble travelling out there...

opinions?
The area along the Hume Hwy between Goulburn and Yass offers a few side roads with some reasonably unobstructed views to the East. Watched the transit of Venus from there. Low Eastern Horizon wasn't quite as crucial then, but should still be pretty usable for this event. First spot I used (around sunrise) was here:

https://www.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=...t=m&mra=ls&z=9

Good, but had to move further south/west to get away from cloud band advancing from the North. Sound familiar?

Edit: SkippySky suggests this area should be OK tonite.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:52 PM
H31l0 (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
The area along the Hume Hwy between Goulburn and Yass offers a few side roads with some reasonably unobstructed views to the East. Watched the transit of Venus from there. Low Eastern Horizon wasn't quite as crucial then, but should still be pretty usable for this event. First spot I used (around sunrise) was here:

https://www.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=...t=m&mra=ls&z=9

Good, but had to move further south/west to get away from cloud band advancing from the North. Sound familiar?

Edit: SkippySky suggests this area should be OK tonite.
Thanks! So we are expecting moonrise around 5:27, and it will rise eclipsed - given the location you have given me, at what point should we be able to see the moon? I understand totality ends 6:45 or around then?
Old 15-04-2014, 12:52 PM
PeterHA (Peter)
Murphy's Friend

Melbourne sites

All,
Lum Rd in Melbourne's east suburb of Glen Waverley is elevated and has on some stretches clear view to the east.
That will be my spot.
Further out Ridge Rd at the car park will have clear views to the east as well.
Old 15-04-2014, 01:05 PM
skytry (Peter)

Lunar Eclipse,
I shall be at road side stop Culburra SA too observe,
sunny day here, hopefully a good viewing eclipse night with camera,
cheers,
Peter.
Old 15-04-2014, 01:17 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H31l0 View Post
Thanks! So we are expecting moonrise around 5:27, and it will rise eclipsed - given the location you have given me, at what point should we be able to see the moon? I understand totality ends 6:45 or around then?
That's a hard one - see Bob's posts. I agree with him in that you probably won't see much to start with. However having seen near-horizon lunar eclipses before, I would think you should get some good views by 6.00. And the partial phase is nice too.

As far as the exact location goes - do follow your own judgement one you get close. You may not even need to travel as far from Sydney as that.

I wish I had your options mate. I'm stuck in rainy Dunedin & won't be back until Friday
Old 15-04-2014, 01:29 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

yay sydney misses out on the lunar eclipse and seeing mars this opposition. Maybe time to move out of sydney?
Old 15-04-2014, 01:32 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icytailmark View Post
yay sydney misses out on the lunar eclipse and seeing mars this oppostion. Maybe time to move out of sydney?
No, because Sydney will witness a beautiful sunset Partial Solar Eclipse on 29 April